Food chain (feeding snakes) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-17-2003, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday I stopped by the new pet store near my house to get feeder mice for my ball python, James Dean. There was a lady with 3 kids in there, too. She saw them putting mice in a box for me and asked if I had a snake. I said yes, and she made a sad little face. I said, "Hey, at least they aren't on a factory farm!" That was an annoying thing to say, wasn't it? I try not to be an annoying, holier-than-thou animal rights advocate, but sometimes I can't help myself. It just galls me that a lot of people are of a mind to think nothing of eating dead animals for dinner, but get all misty-eyed when they see me buying mice to feed my snake. Food chain, people. I'm just sayin'.

Anyone else have an encounter like this? Anyone else have a snake? Just wondering. (I apologize if a similar thread is repeated somewhere else.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-17-2003, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I know I have 2 balls. Sometimes I do get nasty looks from people in stores when I but food. I also get asked how I could be a veg and feed animals to my snakes. I explain "I love my snakes. They have to eat. They are naturaly carnivors. So that is what I feed them"

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#3 Old 07-17-2003, 09:12 PM

It's sad. I understand that the snakes must eat, but putting the mice in there where they have no chance of escape like they would say, if they'd been in the wild, seems a little disturbing to me. For that reason I would never keep a snake. But, ones that are already domesticated have to eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-17-2003, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

It's sad. I understand that the snakes must eat, but putting the mice in there where they have no chance of escape like they would say, if they'd been in the wild, seems a little disturbing to me. For that reason I would never keep a snake. But, ones that are already domesticated have to eat.

That's what I was thinking - in nature everything is 'game' but these mice are bred and sold for that purpose and I'm sorry but I can't see the difference between buying meat for you to eat and buying mice for the snake. If you didn't have the snake you wouldn't have to feed it. In nature the snake would probably be eating whatever it could - which includes larger prey - which I would assume means they don't eat as often?
#5 Old 07-17-2003, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it is very sad and I would never keep a snake, either.

There is a scene in Roger and Me...with a bunny. I will never forget the look of absolute fear on the bunny's face as it realized it is about to be eaten by a snake.
#6 Old 07-17-2003, 11:48 PM

I'll never forget the look of horror I had on MY face when I was crashing through some brush and got tangled in a "briar", only to glance back and see that I was dragging along a 4 ft. copperhead that had latched onto my jeans and was doing his damndest to kill me. Unfortunately for him it didn't work out as he had planned . . .

I would never live with a snake. The only thing I would ever feed one is a load of shot. I try to be more understanding and attune to nature when I encounter one in the wild but if they get aggressive, it's lights out time . . . .

I know this is just prejudice that is likely based on fear. That doesn't change my reaction though . . . .
#7 Old 07-18-2003, 02:09 AM
Veggie Regular

you could breed your cat and feed it the kittens. same thing, but tastier.
#8 Old 07-18-2003, 02:16 AM
Veggie Regular

kpickell, I have a whole new respect for you.
#9 Old 07-18-2003, 02:21 AM
Banned

This reminds me of the pet food store near here..... I just found out the other day they sell frozen mice in plastic containers. Some have hairs, others have none and are pink (they look close to new born).
#10 Old 07-18-2003, 02:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Not to mention cheaper, kpickell.

I have three rats... 2 of them were feeders that I got at a pet store. I can't imagine delibrately feeding my babies to a snake.

This subject hits home pretty heavily. My babies are precious.
#11 Old 07-18-2003, 02:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by thefragile77

these mice are bred and sold for that purpose and I'm sorry but I can't see the difference between buying meat for you to eat and buying mice for the snake.

#12 Old 07-18-2003, 05:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I see all these sides to the argument. We've had this snake since the first year we got married (12 years ago). From what I've learned, I won't have another one. I'm damn sure going to take care of the one I have, though. He's family.
#13 Old 07-18-2003, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Well you've obviously taken good care of it. Most 'specialty pets' aren't so lucky.

I know what you mean though. I run into this too when people get mad at feral cats because they 'eat birds'.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#14 Old 07-18-2003, 06:01 AM

Mikie your babies are adorable!
#15 Old 07-18-2003, 06:02 AM
Administrator

They are pretty cute...

...for rats.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#16 Old 07-18-2003, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by mikie

Not to mention cheaper, kpickell.

I have three rats... 2 of them were feeders that I got at a pet store. I can't imagine delibrately feeding my babies to a snake.

This subject hits home pretty heavily. My babies are precious.

Ooooooooooh I'm totally with you on this. I've got three Rat Boys too - Badger, Roger and Fly. I'm besotted by them. However sound an argument someone could offer, the thought of feeding rats or mice to a snake makes me shiver (nor would I risk feeding a live rat to a snake either, for the snake's sake).

I just can't get into these debates.

Btw, your boys are beautiful!
#17 Old 07-18-2003, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't feed James rats for that reason (safety). The rats would (naturally) bite him. I feed him adult mice. I'll feed him what he needs for the rest of his life.
#18 Old 07-18-2003, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

As long as you don't feed him rats, I'm fine with that.

But really, it only makes sense to keep feeding him until he's gone. And I applaud you for saying that you don't plan on getting another snake.

Just last year, I planned on never having an animal again, but these rats were so cute.

I treat my babies pretty well though... I wish I could find one of those floor balls big enough for them however... Gary could use a good run!
#19 Old 07-18-2003, 05:07 PM
Banned

when i was adopting out my guinea pig i was so terrified of snake owners answering my ad, i head many stories about it... why do people keep snakes as pets??
#20 Old 07-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I personally would never get snake food that way. (It would be scary to adopt out from an ad for any animal!) Like I said, we got him 12 years ago. They have personalities just like mammals do, somehwhat. And of course there's the "cool" factor. As someone said before, luckily I've taken good care of him as others aren't so lucky. I imagine like bunnies after easter.
#21 Old 07-21-2003, 04:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by mikie

I treat my babies pretty well though... I wish I could find one of those floor balls big enough for them however... Gary could use a good run!

Can't you let them out of their cage at all?

My boys get to come out and play/exercise for 2 or 3 hours a night (though nowadays they spend most of that time asleep in the drawer under the bed!).

It's tricky as we've got cats too, so they can only come out in the bedroom. They love it though - as they're in their cage for the rest of the day (though it's huge) I think their free range time probably keeps them sane!
#22 Old 07-21-2003, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Jessica!

Join us in this thread for some Ratty Talk.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&threadid=2773
#23 Old 07-21-2003, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread can also serve as my opportunity that just for the record, in case anyone may wonder, I'll just make known here that I do not have pets myself, let alone snakes, (even though my userID would suggest otherwise).
#24 Old 07-21-2003, 04:36 PM
Banned

Okay, this is going to seem like a totally stupid question, but forgive me, are rats vegetarians? What do they normally eat? Do you take them to the vet?

Cassie
#25 Old 07-22-2003, 04:33 AM
Veggie Regular

No, rats are naturally omnivores. There is obviously an optimum diet though, as there is for humans and eating junk and high fat stuff is no better for them that it is for us.

I feed mine a commercial, balanced rat food, plus a bowl of fresh food in the evenings - fruit, veggies, pasta, rice, bread etc. They also get a little bit of catfood sometimes, or my partner's chicken bones.

And yes - they definitely go to the vet! Touch wood, we haven't been for several months, but they are without doubt the most expensive pet I've ever kept when it comes to vet bills etc.

Of course, they're worth it though!
#26 Old 07-22-2003, 08:17 PM

"I think it is very sad and I would never keep a snake, either.

There is a scene in Roger and Me...with a bunny. I will never forget the look of absolute fear on the bunny's face as it realized it is about to be eaten by a snake"

i watched roger and me in a class that was taught by my advisor and when it got to the bunny part, he covered my eyes. hahaha
#27 Old 07-23-2003, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Kpickell- your comment, perhaps a joke is a shocking thing to see someone who is veg*n say. I would hope to avoid that here. That is the sort of comment that my M-I-L and B-I-L make, and it angers me greatly as a cat lover, in turn I hold contempt for them. I don't care if it's being too "PC" or what not, those sorts of jokes are unsettling & cross the line (like jokes about incest & rape).

As for snakes, my S-I-L owns ball pythons as well (wow, I'm covering all the in-laws here, lol) and I'd have to agree with Epinepherine. I see nothing beneficial about keeping reptiles, except some sort of "I'm cool" stigma, but along with leather jackets and going hunting, it's quite uncool to me. My S-I-L got a nasty bite on her hand once from one of her feeder rats, picture us absolutely amused and high fiving in the rats memory. It's absurd to imagine feeding a pet live animals & all for some slithering creature that you keep in a cage, one that has a history of strangling kids and eating other pets, doesn't purposefully lick you or curl up in your lap. She supposedly thought it was "really sad" that she "had to" feed her snake live animals, so sad that she'd warn us not to look in the cage because there was a cowering mouse in the corner, so sad that when the snake got out, hid & subsequently died, she didn't think "oh, great I don't have to kill/buy mice anymore", instead she got another one. YUCK.

And before it's even asked, no it is not the same to go out and buy high quality pet food for your carnivore companion animal. For one, as long as people aren't kicking out their omni (who can switch much easier than animals that instinctively hunt in the wild like cats & dogs) relatives.. I wont hear that arguement . In this case involving the middle man makes a huge difference. Just like (even less in the case of pouring a bag or popping open a can of pet food) the veg*ns on this board who cook meat for their spouse, while that is gross to some of us, I don't think they're awful for it. But I wouldn't want to talk to them at all if they slaughtered animals directly to feed their family, this just isn't one of those black & white issues.

-The anti-snake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page