PETA nihilistic in their strategy? - Page 5 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 Old 05-27-2006, 10:57 PM
Newbie
 
Blazin_Gwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 53
I don't think PETA is bad, and i support them. Even organize and go to their protests. I've been on the KFC campaign since last year and organized the most KFC protests in my whole county. (San Diego County) So i guess you can see where i stand. And i only think Animal Liberation Front is way worse than PETA. PETA just gets targeted because their the biggest AR orginization in the world.
Blazin_Gwen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#122 Old 05-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Newbie
 
Void's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11
I am a strong supporter of PETA mainly because I believe peoples' egos rule their reasoning. The 'in your face' tactics of PETA not only bring first time awareness of our issues to many but also give many a chance to 'save face' for their unreasonable (and unfortunately subconscious) feelings of guilt about eating animals. This ability to be angry at a large organization, while getting some bad press, I believe still plants a seed in those who become angry, and that seed, if the person will ever be one who digs deep into animal ethics reality, will perhaps eventually grow over time into proper awareness of our issues.

'In your face' is also my personal choice of action because of my overall constant near-depression and frustration about how primitive we humans beings still are.
Void is offline  
#123 Old 05-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Banned
 
nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,524
I've been thinking and talking to friends about this for the last few days. If I look back over the last year at friends and acquaintances reducing their meat consumption, and stories related to me regarding the same, there isn't one case where PETA was the encouraging factor. Ironically, "Super Size Me" gets more credit than anything (actually everything) else, with "Fast Food Nation" as a distant second. It seems that Morgan Spurlock, a proud omnivore, is quite a champion for vegetarianism!



I know that PETA is an animal rights group, not simply a vegetarian/vegan group, but it appears, at least in my experience, that there are more effective ways of getting points across.
nigel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#124 Old 05-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post

I am a strong supporter of PETA mainly because I believe peoples' egos rule their reasoning. The 'in your face' tactics of PETA not only bring first time awareness of our issues to many but also give many a chance to 'save face' for their unreasonable (and unfortunately subconscious) feelings of guilt about eating animals. This ability to be angry at a large organization, while getting some bad press, I believe still plants a seed in those who become angry, and that seed, if the person will ever be one who digs deep into animal ethics reality, will perhaps eventually grow over time into proper awareness of our issues.

'In your face' is also my personal choice of action because of my overall constant near-depression and frustration about how primitive we humans beings still are.



I was having that discussion with my wife last night. How can we humans be so insensitive? Who the hell do we think we are that we can just take living beings and do 'what we want' with them. Lorretta Switt (from MASH) said it so truthfully last week at the GALA - 'Behind every act of cruelty is a dollar bill'.

My last sentence to my wife was, 'We are going to pay somehow, someday for the cruelty we bring onto not only the animals but to this earth'.

P.S. - It may sound like something religious I just stated, but trust me, I am not preaching. I don't even go to church. ALTHOUGH - my family thinks i belong to 'some cult'. LOL LOL What a world!
GhostUser is offline  
#125 Old 06-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Newbie
 
kait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 32
PETA is effective. without their action updates & info i would probably be one lost little vegetarian soul, as would thousands of others i am sure. i think they just get a bad rap because i suppose their videos are somewhat "extreme" and some activists can get carried away with protesting and whatnot. they do a lot of good for the vegetarian community & have converted so many omnivores into a vegetarian lifestyle. they need all of the support they can get, espically from the veg community.
kait is offline  
#126 Old 06-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Newbie
 
veghed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 34
i don't like peta. i am a feminist and i hate the way they objectify women to get their point across.
veghed is offline  
#127 Old 06-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by veghed View Post

i don't like peta. i am a feminist and i hate the way they objectify women to get their point across.



Hmmm I'm also a feminist and it doesn't bother me a bit.

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#128 Old 06-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
I'm not particularly feminist and I don't like the way they or Animal Liberation objectify women. Recent "protests" like the one Animal Lib held down here, with a naked woman climbed into a giant meat tray seem more about "Oooh...! Look at the titties!" than actually doing anything practical to help non-human animals.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#129 Old 06-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular
 
IamJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,134
But there were naked fellas too (at least at some of them)

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
IamJen is offline  
#130 Old 06-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
In the meat tray protest? No, it was a lone naked lady with a good figure.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#131 Old 06-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Newbie
 
kait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 32
i don't think PETA ostracizes women at all. they are just using advertising that is effective in their culture. it makes people look, maybe at first for sex appeal, but the message is still being spread. PETA does not repress or objectify women, in my opinion. i don't feel this is an issue of feminism if it offends you, it is one of sex in the media.
kait is offline  
#132 Old 06-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Newbie
 
veghed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 34
sex in the media is an issue of feminism though. first off lets examine what "sex" in the media is. it's not sex its women's bodies. when we equate an idealized female body with sex, this kind of screws real women over. its sending the message that you must fit a specific image to be sexy or to be deserving of sexual pleasure. often times women are sent messages that tell them that they must look sexy all of the time for men, but never feel sexual. because peta (among many others) uses women's bodies as commodies, many women learn to view their bodies as being more important than their minds. many women view their bodies as a project that they always work to improve. i very much believe that this is caused by the media. I just think its lame that peta uses women to prove their point in the first place. it has nothing to do with the issue that they are talking about. but after all only 9 percent of commercials have a direct statement about beauty,but many more emphasize the importance of beauty. I am not offended at all by your response! and i hope you are not offended by mine...
veghed is offline  
#133 Old 06-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular
 
IamJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,134
Ah Kiz, see the one I saw on the news (in the Bay area somewhere) had several people (3 or 4) in the trays, with "flesh" labels on them.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
IamJen is offline  
#134 Old 06-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Newbie
 
Lily of the Sea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by veghed View Post

sex in the media is an issue of feminism though. first off lets examine what "sex" in the media is. it's not sex its women's bodies. when we equate an idealized female body with sex, this kind of screws real women over. its sending the message that you must fit a specific image to be sexy or to be deserving of sexual pleasure. often times women are sent messages that tell them that they must look sexy all of the time for men, but never feel sexual. because peta (among many others) uses women's bodies as commodies, many women learn to view their bodies as being more important than their minds. many women view their bodies as a project that they always work to improve. i very much believe that this is caused by the media. I just think its lame that peta uses women to prove their point in the first place. it has nothing to do with the issue that they are talking about. but after all only 9 percent of commercials have a direct statement about beauty,but many more emphasize the importance of beauty. I am not offended at all by your response! and i hope you are not offended by mine...



titcr



Women's studies major or minor?
Lily of the Sea is offline  
#135 Old 06-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Newbie
 
veghed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 34
minor
veghed is offline  
#136 Old 04-14-2017, 06:27 PM
Bandit
 
Thalassa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 544
Usually when vegans or vegetarians don't like PETA they usually don't understand the level of psychological strategy they use, nor do they actually know that PETA has probably changed more laws and regulations than any other animal rights organization (though I think ALF physically does good things through direct animal rescue).




I honestly find it a bit stupid when people don't give PETA credit for what they've done even if they don't appreciate all of PETAs tactics or disagree with certain stances. A common misconception I see are ignorant assumptions such as "PETA does more harm than good" (really? In what metric?) and the pervasive myth that PETA harvests and euthanizes pets, when in truth they simply advocate traditional shelters over abuse or abandonment, because no kill shelters can't always take new cases due to over filling. Sometimes when people say "I hate PETA" what I hear is "I can't deal with reality." And that helps no one, least of all the animals.

Of course it's fine to disagree or prefer different tactics. It's just that it's irrational for animal rights activists to bash them.

http://www.peta.org/about-peta/learn...-peta/history/

*I know this is an old thread, but I made sure to search before I randomly posted a new topic, and I think this is a good title to place this in.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
Thalassa is offline  
#137 Old 04-14-2017, 07:37 PM
person
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: gone
Posts: 679
OP:

If Peta was nihilistic they wouldn't even have a strategy. Look up the definition of nihilism because you obviously don't know what it means.

I don't like some things that peta do but they have achieved a great deal.

What gives you the right to say what should be tolerated by anyone but yourself ?
Thalassa and Ger Jonker like this.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Last edited by BlueMts; 04-15-2017 at 05:41 AM. Reason: clarity
BlueMts is offline  
#138 Old 04-21-2017, 10:28 PM
Bandit
 
Thalassa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostUser View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by catmandu

I tend to think this is defensiveness on the part of the PETA knockers rather than a problem with PETA per se. People don't like being challenged with regard something as basic as what food they put in their mouths, especially when it's the same food they've been putting in their mouths since the day they were born. They don't want to hear that such a basic activity, and such a fundamental part of the status quo, bears reconsideration. Some of PETA's strategies are a little too flippant, imo (think leaf-lettuce lady), but it can't be denied that they're largely responsible for putting an AR perspective on the map: they've made it part of public consciousness in a way no one else has. For that reason alone I'd support them. Beyond that, I think that those who say PETA is made up of "crazy people" likely think that not about PETA so much as they think it about AR in general. It's the idea that nonhuman animals are deserving of something more than the marginal respect currently granted them that's "crazy." There are those who want the boat to remain forever unrocked.







Again, I think this is the perspective of those who feel too burdened by the challenge PETA confronts them with. PETA does its fair share of touchy-feely stuff (think Newkirk's "Making Kind Choices: Everyday Ways to Enhance Your Life Through Earth- and Animal-Friendly Living" book, for instance; or some of their public-service ads; or some of their campaigns e.g. "Tell Us About Your Dog's Birthday Party!"); alot of what they do uses humor as well. But when they say, "Stop the Violence!" - however sweetly - some people are going to react negatively because they perceive a personal threat & condemnation & will in consequence dig in their heels. I don't think any ARA is going to make such people happy, except one who's willing to nod sympathetically as they're being told about the aesthetic pleasures of meat eating, then just goes away.







PETA's difficulty (and that of any AR advocate) lies in stretching present moral boundaries while yet not appearing to be "holier-than-thou." How does one do this? How do you tell someone, "I feel that what you're doing is wrong" without simultaneously presenting yourself, however gently, however respectfully, as someone who feels that they have found a "better way"; how do this without being perceived as "looking down" on anyone who doesn't agree? Address people's concerns with the new perspective you're offering on as many fronts as you can; accept the person, but not necessarily their actions; be kind to your opposition, but intelligently critical - yes; but, when you've done that and have been doing that for a long, long time,Quote:at a certain point you're going to want to rough things up a bit


. Anyhow, I don't think people, in the long run, respect wimps; which, at a certain point, is what "touchy feely" ARAs turn into.



Imo.







Billions of animals live miserably & die miserably each year to satisfy our urge for meat & other animal products, for medical research purposes, testing purposes, & for the sake of providing us with entertainment. Acts of aggression & violence are being perpetrated upon many, many animals each & every second. Agressiveness as a politically expedient act is worth questioning, imo; but can't be dismissed out of hand. Individual supporters of AR as well as AR organizations have worked many years via peaceful and pacific means to effect change; many (most, I think) continue to work by such means (& yet we're still accused of aggression). But regardless of the method by which we work for social change, we are all aware, all the time, of those animals who are suffering & dying (though we can't really grasp it fully, any more than you or anyone else can; the numbers are too staggeringly high). So, eventually, some advocates feel that enough is enough, and that acts of aggression (against animals) should be met with the same (towards those who perpetrate the violence). Also, in the political realm, I think a lack of aggression is seen as being equivalent to powerlessness. Politics is generally fought with gloves off, except when it comes to the PR side of things. And if you're having difficulty getting yourself into an "insider's" position within the political sphere, or choose purposely to remain an "outsider," your aggression is likely to work itself out in other places & other ways. And may even be done so with pleasure.



ETA: Also (I think this serves as additional reply to barrylove & RipMike both) consider this: The respectful & generous boss . . . is still your boss.




I stopped reading this reply.....catmandu doesn'y get it..If ANYONE thinks that you get respect and followers by 'roughing' things up a bit..hmmmmm.

Try this...try talking to me about an issue, any issue. Lets say I don't agree with what you say and argue the point....

What I would like you to do is 'ROUGH ME UP A BIT'. See how far that gets you.

To THINK for one second that I would 'start to listen' because you 'rough me a bit' (TRY TO ANYWAY)....you need to understand psychology a bit. Nobody is saying you have to be 'wimp' at presenting facts, but you do have to understand that what we (vegans) are about is different to most people. You have to be prepared to handle what is going to be a tense conversation and handle it with tact and professionalism. Not respond by 'roughing up a bit'.



Perfect example of what people feel about PETA..

IT is 7:42 in the am here....

I just returned from a husband and wife client......

As I was training them I noticed 3 squirrels playing an a huge tree in their backyard..I commented on how cool that was and they said..'Yeah they are, but they are ruining our garden. I would shoot them with a BB gun, but I don't want PETA to come and burn my house down'.

Now where would someone get that from?



Reality is - 'Do something negative and people will remember THAT more than all the good you have done. THAT IS FACT!' To argue this point is simply hiding and not wanting to take responsibility.



IF WE WANT TO MOVE FORWARD AND SEE HUGE CHANGES AS FAR AS AR IS CONCERNED, NO MATTER WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANCES, ONE HAS TO REMAIN COOL!



You may reply to this thread with a blind eye..it doesn't matter, I will nto be reading it. After your professional comment to 'rough things up'......well, enough said.



Actually not enough said..I forgot.....You believe people are 'wimps' because they choose to handle situations in a tactful manner? WOW......



NOW that is enough said..
OK I didn't see this earlier as I didn't sift the entire thread, but I almost wonder if this individual was a troll, or if they're even still a vegetarian.

The example they gave was of an obnoxious piece of **** couple who wanted to shoot squirrels out of being "annoyed" (not afraid, or in danger, or starving to death in the outback. ..just ...annoyed) musing that PETA might "burn their house down"...hey odious person, that's not even PETA who does things like that, only Animal Liberation Front destroys property (but never human nor animal life) and even with ALF, it's never a private home, it's places like labs and factory farms, institutions or businesses.

It's interesting because some people actually don't believe PETA is extreme enough, because they encourage welfarist, reduction actions rather than abolition (Newkirk is a pragmatist, probably some sort of EXTJ in Myers Briggs) so it's comical to me when someone like this paints them as "monsters' for offending fat lazy entitled Westerners who want to shoot squirrels for existing.

That's like chastising Civil Rights groups because two of your clients are racists. Adults who shoot squirrels for fun aren't the target of any animal rights activist, any more than Black Lives Matter wishes to spend inordinate amounts of time attempting to reason with Kellyanne Conway or the KKK.

The point of activism isn't to change the minds of every idiot with a stupid opinion, it's to teach the teachable and change culture en masse by enacting laws and altering cultural norms.
Poppy and BlueMts like this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk

Last edited by Thalassa; 04-21-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Thalassa is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off