Cockroaches moving up in the world - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Beginner

No longer just your common pest - now cockroaches are high fashion!

roach broach

What will the omnis come up with next??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahbanana View Post

No longer just your common pest - now cockroaches are high fashion!

Just loverly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahbanana View Post

What will the omnis come up with next??

Roasted cockroach snacks? Mmmmmmm... You can't eat just one! And in several varieties: Plain, BBQ, vinegar, and Nacho Cheese!

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 04-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Lemme see if I'm following that right... is that a LIVE roach, decorated with crystals glued onto it, that you pin to your clothing?? That's just horrific in so many ways!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

you have got to be ****ting me
#5 Old 04-14-2006, 10:09 PM

Just 80 bucks.
#6 Old 04-15-2006, 08:45 AM

that's so horrible, and disgusting, disturbing, etc... who in there right mind would want a pet roach!? i'm mortified.
#7 Old 04-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Once when I lived in a country which had MASSIVE cockroaches (you wouldn't believe how big they were), I had just made myself a lovely tomato sandwich. I sat down to eat it, and as happened about 20 times a day, the electricity broke down. I found myself in utter darkness. I thought I'd eat my sandwich first and if the light didn't come back, I'd light a candle...

Little did I know that the sudden change from light to dark had made a COCKROACH (a massive one) fall from a crack in the ceiling of the house onto my tomato sandwich.

I bit into my sandwich and immediately spat it out - there was the most DISGUSTING DISGUSTING DISGUSTING taste in my mouth. I quickly lit a candle. I couldn't believe what I had just bitten into.

Whatever you do, even if you're an omni, never ever ever eat a cockroach, even if you are dying of hunger.
#8 Old 04-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

*goes into spasms of horror after reading Diana's story*

They make a big deal about these Japanese hissing cockroaches like they're not really roaches. They put them in museum exhibits where there's always a curator standing around with one in her hand, and she holds it out and offers to let people pet it. I always recoil in horror and say, "Are you crazy?? There's a frigging GIANT ROACH on your hand and you want me to TOUCH it? I don't think so!"

Edit: Oops, these seem to be Madagascar hissing roaches... I'm pretty sure the ones I've seen before have billed as Japanese... ???
#9 Old 04-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

#10 Old 04-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

I saw a program on Discovery Channel (or equivalent) the other day about Chinese scientists using roaches for medicinal properties. Apparently an old village remedy for injuries is to smear mashed up roaches on the wound. The scientists got hold of this and started breeding roaches and then extracting various fluids from them which are now commonly available in pharmacies in China...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

China-Cockroach-AIDS: Chinese scientists say cockroach chemicals can fight AIDS

Agence France-Presse - February 7, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEIJING, Feb 7 (AFP) - Chinese scientists say chemical components found in cockroaches have a "similar effectiveness" in the treatment of AIDS as the widely used American drug AZT, state press reported Wednesday.

Chinese scientists at the Yunnan Medical College have extracted a group of chemical elements from cockroaches, including the special allergic material alfatoxin and are testing the effectiveness of the compounds in combatting AIDS, Xinhua news agency said.

"Lab experiments have shown that the compound has similar effectiveness as AZT, a widely used AIDS drug developed by American researchers, but has fewer side affects," the report said.

However, it warned that clinical trials have yet to reach a final conclusion.

Li Shunan, dean of Pharmacology Department of the college, has verified in lab trials that a chemical compound consisting of an amino acid and a polysaccharide is effective in killing the AIDS virus, the report said.

Research into the effectiveness of cockroach compounds originated from the practices of an ethnic minority in Yunnan province in southwestern China that has used cockroaches to cure open wounds since ancient times.

Li has spent 20 years on the unprecedented research. He has also discovered that cockroach chemicals can also cure heart disease, it said.
#11 Old 04-18-2006, 09:03 PM

I will have nightmares after seeing that!!!
#12 Old 04-19-2006, 05:36 AM
Veggie Regular

ARRRRGGG roaches, there are two creatures I kill on sight in this world.

Roaches and fireants, why would you want one as a pet
#13 Old 04-19-2006, 05:51 AM
Saz
Veggie Regular

Aside from being cruel.... it's just plain ugly! And you could make one yourself if you wanted to. Yuck.
#14 Old 04-19-2006, 06:12 AM

Have any of you ever seen Fear Factor?
#15 Old 04-19-2006, 06:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian View Post

Have any of you ever seen Fear Factor?

Once they were eating pig uterus
#16 Old 04-19-2006, 06:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Gross!
#17 Old 04-19-2006, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

erm wasnt there a thread like this already on here?
#18 Old 04-22-2006, 01:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I stumbled across a chat with the designer today. Listen to his rather...odd...rationale.

"Baltimore, Md.: Are the PETA folks complaining?

Jared Gold: PETA looks down on the use of any animal used outside of its natural habitat, environment, and intended use in nature. We are fully supportive of that, and take these from breeders who sell them as feed, and give them a life."

...interesting. He also claims the roaches aren't harmed because they pin the "non-feeling shell."
#19 Old 04-22-2006, 07:49 AM

they stick a pin through a bug and pin it to their shirt? thats so wrong...and nasty..Alsowhat happens when their skin sheds??? dont they shed ALOT in one day??
#20 Old 04-24-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrlin View Post

ARRRRGGG roaches, there are two creatures I kill on sight in this world...Roaches and fireants

I'm sorry if this sounds cruel, but I totally agree with Ayrlin, urrrrrggggghhh yukkkkkkk! Cockroaches should be squashed dead on sight - not used as food or jewellery... nothin'!

Thank the Lord above they're not rife in the UK!!

Helen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page