Animal testing: How do I know for sure? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

My favorite cosmetic line is Benefit. When I checked to see if they test on animals (I would stop using them if they do) this is what they write on their web site:

Does Benefit Cosmetics test on animals?

- NO... Benefit does not do animal testing on our finished products.

The part that caught my eye and made me think was "finished products". So, is that their way of saying that their ingredients may be tested on animals, but the finished product isn't? I hate not getting a staight, honest answer. Am I being paranoid?

http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/bene..._pages/faq.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post

So, is that their way of saying that their ingredients may be tested on animals, but the finished product isn't?

Yeah sounds like it.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#3 Old 03-30-2006, 02:29 PM

Sounds like corporate juggling to me. I only buy from people who give a resounding "no!" or have the label that says "we do not test any part of our products on animals nor do we ask others to do so for us."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Beginner

my shampoo came from Trader Joe's and it says no animal ingredients/no animal testing with a picture of a rabbit Xed out.

I hope that means none at all, and not just the finished product.
#5 Old 03-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrailcoyote View Post

my shampoo came from Trader Joe's and it says no animal ingredients/no animal testing with a picture of a rabbit Xed out.

I hope that means none at all, and not just the finished product.

I'm 99% positive that logo means no animal testing whatsoever.
#6 Old 03-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Usually what that means is the some of the ingredients may have been tested on animals by another party. A lot of times those tests were done years and years ago, but they continue to be certified as "safe" based upon animal testing in the past.
#7 Old 03-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebutterfly05 View Post

I'm 99% positive that logo means no animal testing whatsoever.

wheee

because I love it, and it's very very cheap.
#8 Old 03-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

That means that the company buys ingredients that are tested on animals. But they don't do any testing themselves. Still just as bad, they aren't out of the clear.
#9 Old 03-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I find it's hard to get straight answers from many companies.

I got this one back from Redwin

Redwin adopts the following process in the manufacturing of its products:

Optimise use of natural ingredients

Comply with health regulations

Do not test on animals

Adhere to environmental laws

I find that info doesn't really answer the questions I asked.

They didn't specify whether they used ingredients that were tested on animals. I also asked if they had any vegan friendly products.

I say just email all the companies and find one that gives you a straight answer.
#10 Old 03-30-2006, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for your input guys. I think I'm going to start looking for a new cosmetic line. If Benefit can't give me a straight answer, I can't give them my business. I feel like I'm going through a bad break-up. lol

Next is MURAD, if they test on animals, I'm gonna flip my lid. I would be losing my cosmetics AND skin care all in one day! Off to check....
#11 Old 03-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

That was easy! This is what they say...

Does Murad Test on Animals?

Murad does not test on animals with products or individual product ingredients.

Sounds good to me!
#12 Old 03-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post

That was easy! This is what they say...

Does Murad Test on Animals?

Murad does not test on animals with products or individual product ingredients.

Sounds good to me!

Ask them if they buy ingredients which have been tested on animals previously.
#13 Old 03-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Beginner

Just a quick question: How does everyone feel about a certain ingredient/product that only USED to be tested on animals. Would you buy the product?
#14 Old 03-31-2006, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

If something is no longer animal tested, I'll use it, even if it "used to be". I "used to be" a meat eater. I believe change for the better is good and should be encouraged, rewarded and celebrated.
#15 Old 03-31-2006, 03:22 PM

There is a list of ethical companies on the PETA website that I downloaded yesteray. I was pleasantly surprised that certain companies are PETA approved. I would recommend taking a look at it.
#16 Old 03-31-2006, 11:07 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

Ask them if they buy ingredients which have been tested on animals previously.

Don't ask, just look up the ingredients yourself:

http://jrm.phys.ksu.edu/Safety/msds.html

For instance, the very first thing I looked at for Murad (the acne body wash) has salicylic acid as an ingredient - it's been tested by feeding lethal doses to rats, mice and inhaled by 'unspecified mammals'.

You'll have a very hard time finding anything that hasn't been tested on animals at some point.
#17 Old 03-31-2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

You'll have a very hard time finding anything that hasn't been tested on animals at some point.

Exactly. I think the "finished product" statement is just to provide legal protection. "This product not tested on animals" could be challenged (theoretically) in a lawsuit, if it was shown that some ingredient *was* tested.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#18 Old 03-31-2006, 11:34 PM
Beginner

You need to ask them when their 'fixed cut of date is' which means that the ingredients has not been tested on animals since a certain date.

Beauty without cruelty 'fixed cut of date' is 1976.
#19 Old 04-01-2006, 11:51 AM

Hm..I find that hard to believe. BWC says that they don't use *any* ingredients which have been tested on animals in the past 30 years?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#20 Old 04-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Hm..I find that hard to believe. BWC says that they don't use *any* ingredients which have been tested on animals in the past 30 years?

What they actually say is:

Quote:
On September 27th, 1976, BWC adopted a strong and meaningful criteria of "no animal testing", known as the Fixed Cut-Off Date Policy. This means BWC rejects the use of all new ingredient developed after this date, as it is estimated that 80% of animal testing for cosmetics is performed to bring newly-invented ingredients to market.

which is not the same thing.

For instance - many of the ingredient descriptions they have cite benefits first established through animal testing conducted since the cutofff. They just seem to saying the safety testing had to be first conducted prior to the cutoff. They don't seem to have a problem with other types of animal testing.
#21 Old 04-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm in the uk..i find it very hard to trust most companies. i wouldnt even email them and ask (mostly the big companies), cos if a company wants to cover up its involvement with animal testing, it will. or at least try.

so i stick to companies which are BUAV approved. mostly honesty cosmetics, kiss my face, faith in nature, animal aid, just to name a few
#22 Old 06-25-2008, 11:40 PM

Great idea on switching to a different line of cosmetics! Don't be fooled by "This finished product not tested on animals." Bath and Body Works has that exact message, but when I asked whether the raw materials are tested on animals, I got a very vague answer. If a company doesn't, they'll be proud to advertise it.

My inquiries into the filthy world of animal cruelty, especially for selfish human use, has opened my eyes to the reality of it all. A lot of companies still test extremely toxic chemicals on animals, just so that some stupid human doesn't sue them if the warning label doesn't read: "Do not get product into eyes." What do you mean propylene glycol isn't good for me?!

Whole Foods, Wild Oats, Trader Joe's and other awesome markets supply products not tested on animals. Knowledge is power and the more we learn and spread the message, the sooner this cruelty can stop. Same with factory farming! But before I go off on a whole other tangent, my best advice: read the labels, contact the company, be smart, and be beautiful!

Here's a link to companies that do and don't test on animals. I'm sure there are others, but it's a good start.

http://pw2.netcom.com/~axleplus/stuf...f/company.html

Good luck!
#23 Old 06-26-2008, 02:19 AM
Veggie Regular

This thread is 2 years old

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#24 Old 06-26-2008, 04:11 PM

But the subject's still an important one.

I'm all for the eye roll, when someone responds to a timely thread, after a lengthy period. However, there's something to be said for using the search feature too, eh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page