is it wrong to get a tattoo? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm interested to see what people think about this.

would you say it was wrong to get a tattoo, cos i heard they practise giving tattoos on pig's skin..is that cruel?

does anyone on here have a tattoo? what do people think about it? are you contributing to cruelty by getting a tattoo? just interested.

have been thinking about getting a tattoo since i was 17. i'm now 20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-19-2006, 01:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I know and work with many people who work/have worked in tattoo shops and they all have said they practiced on pumpkins, watermelons, squash, actual humans (lol) and such. In fact, a few of these people are very animal-friendly and I know for a fact would not practice on a pig's skin. But I guess the practices and policies differ everywhere, so if you really wanted to know you should ask around at the particular tattoo shops you are researching.

However, it's mostly the actual ink you would want to watch out for if you are vegan and/or concerned with animal-derived ingredients. Lots of the inks are made with glycerine that isn't plant-based and many tattoo shops really aren't aware of the origin of the glycerine.. so that would be something to ask around about. Good luck
#3 Old 03-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Contributing Member

I've heard of them practicing on a ham before. Is that what you meant by pigs?

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-19-2006, 02:09 AM

i personally dont have any Tatoos due to severe allergies---My fiancee has three---and he has close friends who are tatoo artists and they dont practice on animals---they are very animal friendly---i know it was mentioned before but the ink is what i would check out they are all different.

peace and love

jenn
#5 Old 03-19-2006, 04:15 AM

I'm getting my tattoos done by a vegan tattoo artist. An easy way around all those problems.

Just find an artist that doesn't practice on animals and doesn't use ink with animal derived glycerin or bone char.
#6 Old 03-19-2006, 05:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post

i'm interested to see what people think about this.

would you say it was wrong to get a tattoo, cos i heard they practise giving tattoos on pig's skin..is that cruel?

does anyone on here have a tattoo? what do people think about it? are you contributing to cruelty by getting a tattoo? just interested.

have been thinking about getting a tattoo since i was 17. i'm now 20.

i do my own tattoo's

i practiced on myself

tattoos don't necessarily have anything to do with pig's feet, just like driving a car doesn't necessarily have anything to do with squashing skunks.
#7 Old 03-19-2006, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

I've heard of them practicing on a ham before. Is that what you meant by pigs?

nope. i heard it was practised on actual pigs..but then i dont know if thats 100% true.

thanks everyone for your responses
#8 Old 03-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

nope. i heard it was practised on actual pigs..but then i dont know if thats 100% true.

thanks everyone for your responses

it is fairly common to get some pigs feet from the grocer to practice on, and alot of instructional books mention the pig feet tip, but there are probably lots of tattoo artists that never practiced on pigs feet.

but it's taking things a bit far imo to boycot people who use animal products for one thing or another. i mean would you get a tattoo from someone on an atkins diet? would you get a tattoo from someone who was a vegetarian but walks to work everyday on leather shoes? he'd buy less leather shoes if you wouldn't give him your business, and you might even save a whole cow over the span of his career.
#9 Old 03-19-2006, 11:58 AM

well i've got a lot of tattoos and the artists have only practiced on people, grapefurits and oranges. i myself have tattooed a few grapefruit! alas, no pigs...
#10 Old 03-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

When my dad did tattoos he never practiced on animals, he practiced on my mom and a few other people who agreed.
#11 Old 03-19-2006, 08:11 PM

I am getting 2 animal rights tattoes at a tatto party in a little over a month...I know the guy and hes completly animal friendly
#12 Old 03-20-2006, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

hmm..i've got a better idea of how to go about this now.

now all i have to do is find animal-friendly tattooists in my area :/ there is only one or two tattoo places round here (that i know of).
#13 Old 03-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Beginner

Go and ask them. Tattoo artists are very nice and accomodating. Ask what brand of ink they use, then look it up. Maybe they will know. Really good artists will help you out on anything.

But I think oranges and your own leg serve as a cheaper canvas than a pig.
#14 Old 03-22-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I am getting 2 animal rights tattoes at a tatto party in a little over a month...I know the guy and hes completly animal friendly

A tattoo party?? this may sound dumb but what is it?? is it a bunch of people getting tattooed? I have a couple of tattoos. probbly goung to get a couple more. eventually
#15 Old 03-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Beginner

Pretty much. People congregate and wait their turn while a professional tattoo artists does tattoos. Food and fun is involves, but no alcohol (because of it's blood thinning effects, not to mention you can't think clearly.) Some studios hold them occasionally, sometimes they are held in peoples living rooms! (Which I don't condone at all, due to lack of sterility)
#16 Old 03-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Beginner

this is intresting, i have never heard of this before, i have four tattoos, i hope they didnt practice on animals. i have seen pictures of tattooed dogs though, which i think is cruel on bmezine website, although they say they didnt do it themselfs they were sent in the picture.
#17 Old 03-23-2006, 06:39 PM

I think it is wrong to get a tattoo and if you do, then you are not a vegan. Most the people that get tattoos are misfits or people with criminal records.
#18 Old 03-23-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Most the people that get tattoos are misfits or people with criminal records.

Really????
#19 Old 03-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvanimals View Post

I think it is wrong to get a tattoo and if you do, then you are not a vegan. Most the people that get tattoos are misfits or people with criminal records.

I don't have a criminal record, yet.
#20 Old 03-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm vegan and I don't have a criminal record, either. My goodness.

Of course, the first tattoo I got, I was not even vegetarian. So the next two or three that I get, I will be doing my research into who is the best person to go to, as far as animal friendliness.
#21 Old 03-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:

your living in the stone age! it's not as taboo as it once was.

I am sorry to say when I got tattoos I never gave ink a thought

I have 17 tattoos all animals

Although I am a misfit with a criminal record
#22 Old 03-23-2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Who died and made you the High Queen of Veganness?

I don't know what you have against tattoos, but if the tattoo has nothing to do with an animal industry then it's vegan, whether you like it or not. Doesn't matter what it is - if it doesn't have anything to do with animals then it's vegan, regardless of whatever religious or whatever beliefs you might have on the matter. Don't go making stuff up about what's vegan and what's not. Statements like that sound stupid and they reflect badly on other vegans. Veganism has to do with animals. The end.
#23 Old 03-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Misfit, yes, but I'm still working on the record.

Quote:
Who died . . .

Shh!
#24 Old 03-24-2006, 03:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Really? I'm a wife and mom with three kids and I have a dolphin tattooed on my leg.....I may be a misfit and vegan, but as of yet, I have no criminal record. And btw, my mom is a 54 y o special ed teacher and she has two tattoos....I'd like to hear someone tell her that she's a misfit with a criminal record.
#25 Old 03-24-2006, 06:38 AM
Veggie Regular

It seems that a lot of veg*ns have tatoo's of animals

#26 Old 03-24-2006, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

luvanimals, how can you just make a bland statement like that?

you say "if you get a tattoo, you are not a vegan" - why? like some other people said, if the tattoo ink has no animal products in it, and is not tested on animals, and has nothing to do with animals, then why is it not vegan?

well, sorry to disappoint you, but i very much intend to get a tattoo, as soon as i find an animal-friendly tattooist!
#27 Old 03-24-2006, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by inie View Post

It seems that a lot of veg*ns have tatoo's of animals

i want to get the vegan symbol tattooed
#28 Old 03-24-2006, 07:09 AM

Quote:

as soon as i find an animal-friendly tattooist!

Trying to find an animal-friendly tattooist is like trying to find an animal-friendly butcher. Bottom line, if you get a tattoo, you are not a vegan.
#29 Old 03-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Tattoos can have additional negative associations for women; "tramp stamp" and other similarly derogatory slang phrases are sometimes used to describe a tattoo on a woman's lower back.

Religious prohibitions

Some Christians and Jews believe Leviticus 19:28 prohibits believers from getting tattoos: Do not make gashes in your skin for the dead. Do not make any marks on your skin. I am God. One reading of Leviticus is to apply it only to the specific ancient practice of rubbing the ashes of the dead into wounds; but modern tattooing is included in other religious interpretations.

Traditional Jews, in strict following of Halakha (Jewish Law), also point to Yoreh De'ah 180:1, that elucidates the biblical passage above as a prohibition against markings beyond the ancient practice, including tattoos.

Following the Sharia (or Islamic Law), the majority of Muslims hold that tattooing is religiously forbidden (along with most other forms of 'permanent' physical modification). This view arises from Qur'anic verses and explicit references in the Prophetic Hadith which denounce those who attempt to change the creation of Allah, in what is seen as excessive attempts to beautify that which was already perfected. The human being is seen as having been ennobled by Allah, the human form viewed as created beautiful, such that the act of tattooing would be a form of self-mutilation.[2] [3] Henna patterns, however, are used among Muslim women, as distinguished from permanent tattooing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo
#30 Old 03-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page