Flutters into thread. Ich bin die fledermaus! Ich bin die fledermaus!
A couple other neato stuff about bats:
- There are 1100 species of bat, 20% of all mammalian species.
- Of these 1100, only 3 are carnivorous (all in Central/South America)
- The rest are insectivorous or fruit eaters, much like birds.
- They're friggin cute as hell.
- Only 0.5% of bats carry rabies.
- Bats are not blind. They see quite well, but their hearing is so much better.
- Female bats only have 1 baby per year. So be nice.
- Did I mention they're friggin cute as hell?
I lived in an attic apartment for a couple years, and often I'd wake up to find a few batty roommates if I left the window open. They never flew into my hair (which is surprising, considering ...my hair), so I conclude that that's a myth too.