Where Do we as morally conscious Vegetarians Draw the Line? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-06-2006, 08:43 PM

The Jains wear masks so they don't inhale any bugs accidentally and sweep any seat they sit on so they do not crush any insects. But what if the founders had known of microorganisms?

From what I have seen on these forums it is wrong to kill and dissect frogs, but is it wrong to kill and disect an earthworm?

Where do we draw the line? At what point of complexity in the genome code do animals gain their privilaged status as something we will go out of our way to keep from killing? Is the gasoline burning in our car disrespectful flesh of the microorganisms that compose it?

As vegetarians, our goal is to bring animals out of their shackles of oppression but where do we go from there. Are animals to be held to the same standards of morality that we are? Should a dog realize that the flesh he is ripping apart once came from a living, breathing, caring cow? How do you fellow vegetarians address these issues that have been bothering me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I dunno man, I don't squish bugs anymore, but I also don't bother to avoid products containing carmine. I guess I'm a hypocrite.

Anyway, everyone has to draw their own line. You're the one who has to wake up with yourself every morning.
#3 Old 02-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDAdisapproved View Post

Are animals to be held to the same standards of morality that we are? Should a dog realize that the flesh he is ripping apart once came from a living, breathing, caring cow?

Are you for real? (just had to ask)

Dogs don't have the cognitive ability to achieve the realization you mention. Humans do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Why is this your first post?

I think the exact position of the line is somewhere between microorganisms and chimpanzees. I draw the line at consciousness.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#5 Old 02-06-2006, 09:53 PM

do mice have consciousness, how about earthworms?
#6 Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Some of your wordings in the first post, and the fact that it was your first post, support the interpretation that "you fellow vegetarians" wasn't honest.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 02-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

"We" don't draw the line anywhere... There's no agreed upon answer to your question. You draw your own line.

Also, what does a dog's feelings have to do with vegetarians?
#8 Old 02-07-2006, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

"We" don't draw the line anywhere... There's no agreed upon answer to your question. You draw your own line.

Also, what does a dog's feelings have to do with vegetarians?

agree--with that --we all have to make our own decisions and draw our own line...

peace and love

jenn
#9 Old 02-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Every vegetarian and vegan has to decide where to draw their own line.

Just like every religious person has to decide what parts of the religion to take literally. I have never met two christians who agree completely on every aspect of their religion, nor do I expect to meet two veg*ns who agree completely on every aspect.

I don't think any of us would claim to be or know how to be a perfect vegan. That is one of the many things about being a vegan that I love - I am always learning and always trying to evaluate things as to what would bring the least harm.

This is not a perfect world and there are no perfect answers. We each do the best we can.
#10 Old 02-07-2006, 02:22 AM

These are interesting questions, but I think that a practical line gets drawn for us: you simply can't avoid killing something that you can't see. Sure, in certain cases you know that you might be killing some microscopic organisms, but there really is no point in worrying about that, because you kill microorganisms involuntarily all day, every day. Even your body is killing things at this very moment.

I think my sig is relevant here: there's a difference between doing what you can (not eating meat, etc.) and involuntarily killing something you can't see or avoid. We can only do so much... being veg*n is enough, I think.
#11 Old 02-07-2006, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

I dunno man, I don't squish bugs anymore, but I also don't bother to avoid products containing carmine. I guess I'm a hypocrite.

Anyway, everyone has to draw their own line. You're the one who has to wake up with yourself every morning.

Well said!
#12 Old 02-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDAdisapproved View Post

Is the gasoline burning in our car disrespectful flesh of the microorganisms that compose it?

Yup!!! The gasoline (I call it petrol) will go STRAIGHT to the underworld when it dies and join all the other nasties for ever and ever for eternity.

BAD GASOLINE!!!!!!! NO CHOCOLATE BISCUIT FOR THE GASOLINE!!!!!!
#13 Old 02-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page