Transportation Laws in Canada? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-18-2006, 04:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know if there are any laws regarding animal transport in Canada? My dad (he used to work at slaughterhouses ) claims that there are many strict laws to make sure transportation of cows, pig, and chickens are "humane" (like laws against crowding and how often you have to stop to give them food and water and let them rest)

HumaneFood.ca says that animal agribusiness is pretty much the same in Canada as it is in the US, and says what the voluntary "Code of Practice" involves, but it doesn't say anything regarding transport. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-18-2006, 05:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Nevermind I found it myself, lol. Can I delete my own thread?
#3 Old 01-18-2006, 02:04 PM

What did you find out?

When the Mad Cow scare hit Canada about 2 years ago I remember one of the experts saying that there are so many downer cows that it takes a long time to test them all. Sounds like if there are regulations they aren't very good. Downer cows are ones that can't even stand up on their own because of broken legs and other causes. They have to travel all that way on broken legs -- not good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I too would like to know what you found out! The fact that "downer cows" is a common phrase is sickening. Those poor animals and what a bunch of suckers out there lapping up all these diseased and tortured souls. Sickening.
#5 Old 01-19-2006, 05:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Go here: http://humanefood.ca/foodfacts.html

It's a group of PDF's describing the different parts of the animal agri'culture' in Canada (beef, eggs, dairy, pork, veal, poulty, fish, and animal transportation)

Some of the rules are more lenient in Canada than in the US. Like for transportation, I believe the rule (hardly enforced) in US is that cows can be transported for a max of 36 hours without food, water or rest. In Canada it's 52 hours! (and it's hardly ever enforced)
#6 Old 01-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Veggie Regular

How would they let a truck full of animals rest anyways?
#7 Old 01-19-2006, 05:20 AM
Veggie Regular

There are rest stops. They're giant barns located all over Canada. I drive by one every day when I go to college.

I see alot of drivers sleeping in their trucks or going out for dinner or coffee with friends while the cows are still in there and they often don't even check on them before they take off again.
#8 Old 01-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks the link Bluebutterfly05. I will read more later when I'm not at work.
#9 Old 01-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you actually live in Canada, TofurkyZombie?
#10 Old 01-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Yup! I'm in beautiful alberta beef land.
#11 Old 01-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, lol. I lived there for half a year before I went veg. I lived in Drayton Valley there.
#12 Old 01-19-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofurkyZombie View Post

Yup! I'm in beautiful alberta beef land.

Yeah, I'm in ranch land too in BC. We even had a stupid cattle drive for many years but it's been canceled now because of some kind of financial problems -- maybe not enough people signing up.

I'm sure the same people who make laws allowing for cattle slaughter are really concerned with how they get there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page