VeggieBoards banner

vivisection-

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  joannacparker 
#1 ·
i was just wondering. WHO and HOW are people making money off of animal experimentation.

#9 ·
he-he. XD

to see how skin would react to it.... and (this is soooo fing stupid.. it pisses me off) but they put it in their eyes..... to see how it would react... and then b/c of the results they can put "do not put in eyes'... or whatever they write on the packaging'casue they now "know" what'll happen if you put it in eyes..... it's soooooooooo stupid.

animal testing sucks... just.. yeah.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by weird2twiggy View Post

he-he. XD

to see how skin would react to it.... and (this is soooo fing stupid.. it pisses me off) but they put it in their eyes..... to see how it would react... and then b/c of the results they can put "do not put in eyes'... or whatever they write on the packaging'casue they now "know" what'll happen if you put it in eyes..... it's soooooooooo stupid.

Animal testing started because someones eyes were burned out by an eyelash trimmer. If you want to complain about animal experimentation stop wearing cosmetic products so you wont be a hypocrite. Oh and you better stop taking your medication or you probably have already

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivesector View Post

Animal testing started because someones eyes were burned out by an eyelash trimmer. If you want to complain about animal experimentation stop wearing cosmetic products so you wont be a hypocrite. Oh and you better stop taking your medication or you probably have already
And yet we have cosmetics that weren't tested on animals available to us... Fancy that. It's often not necessary?? Who would have known.

:p

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivesector View Post

the only things i ever wear is eyeliner and mascara by "beauty without cruelty". not tested on animals, no animal ingridients... i really dont see how im being a hypocrite... enlighten me please.

#14 ·
From what I understand pretty much anything medical (medications, procedures, genetic research etc) has involved animal testing, although I don’t really know about current technologies so hopefully other avenues are being explored. I vehemently disagree with testing products (make-up, cleaning supplies ect) on animals but I’m on the fence about the medical stuff. For example, my brother doesn’t have a colon and has crohn’s disease. I dream of a day when we can grow organs from our cells and can transplant organs without rejection. I don’t see this process coming to fruition without trials with animals. Perhaps I would feel differently though if I didn’t have a family member in this type of situation.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by weird2twiggy View Post

he-he. XD

i think if people are that vain that they want to wear all this makeup they should try it out on themselves. grrr it makes me mad........

#16 ·
I say they should start testing on human volunteers. The results would be a heck of a lot more accurate for people anyway, instead of the animal test results that may not affect humans in the same way.

And human volunteers could maybe make a few extra bucks in the process. So it's win-win...unless they get their faces burned off by evil chemicals.

#17 ·
I'm not 100% clued up on this but here is what i know:

Anybody deciding to experiment on an animal within the UK has to have a purpose that will 'benefit' human society (although this seems dodgy eg make up*) and that there is no alternative (the Animals Act of 1986 insists that no animal experiments be conducted if there is a realistic alternative). Once they have a purpose they will propose their idea/requirements to a recognised and registered scientific institute/board of governers. Through an ethical review, social review etc if they proceed then the scientific institute may fund all or fund partial amounts, if not the government DOES subside amounts to aid. All scientific programs HAVE to provide information through reports even if the program fails.

Once the product has gone through testing stages and passes then it's up to the highest pharmautical bidder to purchase the product and market it. They will benefit financially from it, a percentage going to the research institute (who have funded the scientists). I am not sure if the government gets any other than tax money.

*Comestic testing comes under the EU Cosmetics Directive.

For KC_VeganVixen. Many pharmacutical companies do test on human volunteers, after the initial animal testing stage many new drugs will be tested on paitence within hospitals (at their consent of course). Once statistical information shows the drug is of benefit then it'll go through the marketing stage and be made available for public sale. If it fails via the human volunteering then it goes back to animal testing etc.

I know you were speaking of cutting out animals altogether and I agree with you, but sadly the governments can not risk disease entering the human population thus it is a legal requirement animals are tested first.

A USEFUL WEBSITE FOR Q & A ON ANIMAL TESTING: bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/animalexperiments/protests.shtml

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.