psychology - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-30-2005, 10:11 PM

Hi,

I'm really wanting to go to school for psychology. I'd probably want to get at least a master's. My question has to do with animal research. My mom has been discouraging me, saying that if I go to school for that I will have to do things like that. Does anyone has information about this? I'm wonder how big of a concern this could be for me...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Banned

...Depends on the Research.

The research done for Learned Optomism had the Princeton psychology department shocking dogs to the point of inducing helplessness and depression. ...Many times.

I know other people who have done research as simple as testing to see whether 6 month old babies respond more favorably to more attractive/symmetrical faces. It just involved showing them two sets of slides simultaneously, and marking down which one the infant looked at first. ...Sounded like kind of a fun assignment.
#3 Old 11-30-2005, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I would suggest using google to look up what schools you are considering. Find the numbers for the psychology department and give them a call. Tell them about your concerns and ask them if that is required for a degree.

Just my $.02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I am a psychology major, and I plan to get a PhD. My school (for undergrad) doesn't have a live animal lab. Some schools do, but I am not sure if it is mandatory that you do research with animals. If you are looking more at clinical or counseling psychology (where you do therapy, diagnose psych disorders, etc.) then the chance that you will have to do animal research is very slim.

Das_nut gave very good advice about calling the schools and asking them. There are even many graduate schools that do not have live animal labs at all. Just look into it, and good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page