Close Call - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Something happened a little while ago that was too close for comfort. I'm in college right now, and I was sitting where there was a row of seats (multimedia lounge) and I put a leaflet (about dogs and cats left to roam outside unsupervised) on the table in between two of the chairs. Later on a group of people came by while I was still sitting there (they didn't know it was me who did it) and sat down in the chairs. One guy (who is in my class) read the leaflet and they started talking about activists right away. In the end of the conversation the guy said to everyone in the group "If you ever get a chance, punch an activist in the face!"

It was a good thing he didn't know it was me, and that was just too close and creepy. I don't he would actually punch me though since we were in college and I won't ever see him out of college. Besides the fact that it was kind of scary that he said that while standing right next to me, it was also kind of funny. Anything similar ever happen to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Banned

I (and other activists) have had circus freaks ask that we fight them, and been threatened with "you're dead, c**t"; drunk rodeo rednecks grope female activists and "bump" into me (in the hopes I'd hit them so they could then fight); threatened with being shot while "inspecting" farms; then there's just the general hostility always received.
#3 Old 10-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank heaven, no.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Insane, isn't it, how some people will have such extreme, knee-jerk reactions to even the slightest hint of compassionate thought about animals. Protecting wandering pets is hardly a hot-button, war-room issue. In many US towns, it is actually against the law to allow animals to run at large for safety and health reasons. Most relatively conservative bodies, like animal control agencies, vets, and municipal governments support leash laws and anti-"dumping" laws. Imagine if you had left leaflets about some truly controversial issue, like hunting or animal experimentation.

But I'm sure a lot of animal advocates have been through this. Even the safest, most obvious issues (like punishing animal abuse/neglect) can be attacked by people who hate animals. Simply put, when it comes to compassion, nothing is truly safe.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#5 Old 10-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

because of people like that i usually keep my animal rights feelings to myself...i havent experienced anything like that really, but ive heard plenty of comments from all the avid hunters that live around here and ive gotten into debates, luckily the people ive come across have been rather reasonable.

keep up the good work bluebutterfly and good luck!
#6 Old 10-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Beginner

When I was in highschool and first became veg*n, I used to get a lot of s**t from hunters and rednecks in my school. I was a major activist though, and would pass out leaflets to everyone in the hallways. I just got sick of the attention, and so I keep my opinions to myself unless someone shows interest or I think they're compassionate enough to care. I've been verbally attacked by people in store lines before. This one girl tried to start up a fight with me because I was double checking to make sure that the shoes I was buying weren't leather. She asked me if I was one of those "stupid vegetarians". She continued to harass me until I paid for my items and left. Dumb chick, she was lucky I hadn't had my power smoothie yet!!
#7 Old 10-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

I (and other activists) have had circus freaks ask that we fight them, and been threatened with "you're dead, c**t"; drunk rodeo rednecks grope female activists and "bump" into me (in the hopes I'd hit them so they could then fight); threatened with being shot while "inspecting" farms; then there's just the general hostility always received.

I haven't protested circuses (none come here) but friends have said that they have also had their pictures taken and been told things like "we know who you are and where you live"

A/R is ugly sometimes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page