new "Animal Care Certified" eggs! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2003, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

From eggscam.com:

In 2002, in an attempt to improve public relations and avert potential government regulation, the U.S. egg industry created the Animal Care Certified program. Member producers now label egg cartons with an Animal Care Certified logo, duping consumers into believing the eggs come from humanely treated hens when, in fact, the birds are still overcrowded in barren wire cages without any opportunity to nest, roost, dustbathe, or even flap their wings.

In May 2003, investigators from animal advocacy organization Compassion Over Killing visited Ise-America, an Animal Care Certified egg factory farm in Cecilton, Md., and documented horrific, yet standard, animal cruelty. To see photos from the investigation click here.

Labeling these eggs Animal Care Certified ignores science, deceives consumers, and shows that the egg industry cannot be trusted to regulate itself. On June 11, 2003, COK filed petitions with the Federal Trade Commission, Food and Drug Administration, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, alleging that the Animal Care Certified logo on egg cartons is false advertising and should be prohibited.

The UEP Animal Care Certified guidelines:

- Allow birds to be confined in cages so tightly they cannot even flap their wings.

- Do not prohibit starving hens to shock their bodies into another egg-laying cycle, a common practice in the U.S. egg industry, which even McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendys have prohibited for their suppliers.

- Do not prohibit the beak trimming of chicks, a common industry practice where part of the beak of an unanesthetized bird is seared off with a hot blade, causing acute and lasting pain.

For more information visit http://www.eggscam.com/ and then tell your friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2003, 10:45 AM

Sounds like standard Republican strategy...
#3 Old 06-12-2003, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I posted that site in the vegetarians and eggs forum. I hope potential egg-eaters read that site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-14-2003, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

This just really pisses me off ........

damn.
#5 Old 06-14-2003, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

will it never end?
#6 Old 06-17-2003, 12:20 PM

Unfortunately this is so typical of the egg industry and probably not a surprise to any of us. However, I think you'll be happy to know that I heard about this so-called "Animal Care Certified Program" on National Public Radio. They gave a detailed report based on the fact that "Animal Care Certified" has no real meaning and is not regulated. It aired at about 5:30 or 6 pm, right during rush hour. So I assume that a good amount of people were listening and learning how disgusting the egg industry is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page