what to do with my old leather shoes? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Beginner

I don't realy know what ot do with the shoes I bout before I went veg, I don't want to were them since they skin. my mom let me buy new shoes cuz she knows I wont ware the leather ones even if I have to go barefoot(which I perfer over any shoes anyway lol) she annoyed at me tho cuz I wont were them saying that I already bout them the cow is already dead and its pointless to not ware them after the cow has been killed and payed for, and shes right I guess but I just can't make myself feel not guilty wareing skin anymore, but I feel guilty that the cow died and that its life had no perpose at all even just to make a shoe.

I wont ever buy leather shoes again but what do I do with the 3 pairs I have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Some vegans and vegetarians do continue to use leather that was bought before. Why? Because it would be worse for the animal to die and be used for shoes if it was just thrown out in the garbage. If you really can't bare to wear them, donate them or see if you can find a friend or relative who wants them.

I would not wear or buy wool normally, for example, but I do still have an old wool cardigan that used to belong to my father. It's still good for winter if I'm sitting in the house and cold, and it's not going to help any sheep for me to just toss it out.
#3 Old 08-06-2005, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Elena. I have two pairs of leather loafers and a pair of leather flip flops that I bought way before I even started thinking about my actions. Well, I thought about my buying actions, at least. (One pair of loafers were found at a consignment shop for only $4, they looked and felt new and they fit; The other pair I got for two or three dollars at a Spiegal Outlet store going out of business sale, since they were 11s, which I rarely find, I snatched them up, and the flip flops, I found the day after my birthday last year on clearance at Wal-Mart they were only $2 and were my birthday present to me since I wanted a nice pair of sandals/flip flops.) Okay. I'm babbling.

I also have a wool sweater and a leather bomber jacket that I'm wearing. (Well, not in August in Ohio, but you get the idea.) The clothes are still in good shape. I have the philsophy of buying as cheap as possible and keeping them for as long as possible. A pair of loafers are scuffed and I want to take them to the shoe store (the real shoe store that does repairs, polishings, etc.) to get a good polish for them. Even if I wanted to toss the leather and wool and get new stuff, I couldn't afford it anyway.

I do have a gray area, as I said in the other post. If the wool or leather product comes from a thrift store, i.e., Goodwill, or Salvation Army, I'll buy it since the few bucks is going to the charity and not supporting the process of the manufacturing of the product.

Your mom sounds cool. I was raised with the philosophy to buy as cheap as possible and to wear the item until it wears out. Therefore, if I had wanted to toss the leather shoes because it was leather and wanted a new pair in replacement, nope, not unless the shoes were worn enough to justify a new pair. It's cool. It's been a good life lesson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

Some vegans and vegetarians do continue to use leather that was bought before. Why? Because it would be worse for the animal to die and be used for shoes if it was just thrown out in the garbage. If you really can't bare to wear them, donate them or see if you can find a friend or relative who wants them.

The problem is that ALL consumer purchases harm animals and the environment to some degree. Running out and buying a new pair of shoes when the old ones are perfectly good is not helping the environment, or the non-human species that live in that environment.
#5 Old 08-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

down_to_earth--leather flip flops?
#6 Old 08-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Administrator

This has been discussed many times and the general consensus is that most will wear them until they wear out.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 08-09-2005, 03:18 PM

I still wear my old pair of leather shoes, but I buy leather-alternatives. My mum doesn't actually agree about this, as she says that "plastic shoes will ruin your feet."

peace and love amy-jane xx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page