The Pro Fur Video argument...pure comic viewing - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-04-2005, 03:26 AM

Dear All,

Been recently scouting the internet to find all manner of visual imagery relating to animal abuses (factory farms, vivisection, zoos, hunting etc), for the sole aim of bringing these hells to several people who I'm currently promoting veg*n and AR with. I hasten to add - and somewhat surprisingly - this material has been requested, mostly because there are several highly skeptical individual's among them who can't quite believe that "it's all that bad really!"

Anyway, the point of this thread - after such a matter-of-fact introduction - is to say that I came across this video gem, which, without being flippant, certinaly brought a certain (black) comic relief to the arduous nature of the task.

Honestly, if this is the best that the www.furcommission.com[/U]/video/]Fur Commission has to offer as a legitimate justification for their practice, then we need not fear. The worrying thing though is that they are no doubt right in thinking that such banal logic (and acting!) must be convincingly swallowed by (many) members of the population.

So don't be afraid, click on the site, and scroll down to:

What Can I Say?Produced by the Fur Farm Animal Welfare Coalition, part of Fur Commission USA. A fur-clad lady shopper is accosted by a fellow shopper opposed to fur, but manages to bring him around by explaining how fur is actually produced. (11:00 min.)

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2005, 03:56 AM
Banned

What's up with them calling the slaughter of the mink "euthanasia"?
#3 Old 06-04-2005, 04:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

What's up with them calling the slaughter of the mink "euthanasia"?

An alternative definition of euthanasia can be "a quiet, painless death." It's just their way of using a word that evokes sympathetic thoughts as opposed to one like "slaughter."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

They can't just say "I am a self absorbed ass'?
#5 Old 06-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Beginner

"Excellence of Humane Care"

'Produced by the Fur Farm Animal Welfare Coalition, part of Fur Commission USA, Excellence Through Humane Care offers a fascinating look behind the scenes on a family fur farm. Explore the day-to-day operations and see what it takes to raise healthy mink. Includes mink sheds, nutrition, watering systems, health and disease, live transportation, euthanasia, and the certification process. '

You've got to be kidding.

"Fascinating" is not the word here...
#6 Old 06-04-2005, 07:40 PM

Wow! This is pretty sick....I cant believe that they are trying to make it seem like you need to kill animals for fur. The funniest one had to be the woman in the grocery store (actually it was pretty sad). I don't even know what to say, except they didnt change my mind about fur I actually detest those people even more now.
#7 Old 06-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreame123 View Post

I actually detest those people even more now

Same here..... it makes it all sicker.
#8 Old 06-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I wont watch it.It wont be comidic to me.I have read the fur commission's site here in Canada and it is so painfully stupid...do people really fall for thier tactics to sell fur.? Its about as bad as the Canadian Gov's site on the seal 'harvest' to 'sustain' them and the oceans..

Shameful detestable,killers.
#9 Old 06-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

That is rediculous. As bumble said, that is *NOT* funny to me.

F-ing fur commission

Ah yess... we animal rights activists "give nothing back to the economy". And the fact that we want our pet lap-dogs to be "let go to run free with no human interaction". There are so many things wrong with that video. They're mad at animal rights activists for "attacking" them for slaughtering innocent animals, and they turn around and jump all over us for caring about the well-being of the lives of our companions on this Earth.

Obviously, they still don't believe that we have physical video, animal, photo, etc. proof that they are lying through their teeth to people every day about the treatment of animals used for fur.

I have to comment. On their animal welfare vs. animal rights debate (or whatever the hell that thing is supposed to be) their "reccomended reading" is Breeds of Livestock by the Department of Animal Science, Oklahoma State University. Sounds like a book of "This animal is best for steak, and this one for glue". GAAAH!
#10 Old 06-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

P.S. They have a section on their site they even name "Animal Extremist / Ecoterror Crimes" LOL. The title is just amusing for some reason. Just talking about vandalization crimes of labs, etc. Well, I'd trash a site that was destined to torture innocent animals if it came to my area too. :nod:

Most of their claims of "animal extremist" events were actually people protesting forests being cut to build homes. I think they believe that by shoving enough events (even if they're not at all related to fur farming itself) onto this page, they can convince all people that we vegan animal-lovers are all freaking arsonists, terrorists, and general evil-doers.
#11 Old 06-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I couldn't finish it, once the woman started going on about the chicken the man had in the grocery cart, I knew it was just going to get stupider and stupider.
#12 Old 06-06-2005, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

I couldn't finish it, once the woman started going on about the chicken the man had in the grocery cart, I knew it was just going to get stupider and stupider.

A very wise decision!!
#13 Old 06-06-2005, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

If they're going to do that, it should atleast be real. I don't know many omnivores that would get so upset about fur....maybe one (my dad) but they're still hypocrites either way.The same guy gets so upset about fur doesn't care about wearing leather. They're just trying to twist their truth so they can pretend that they actually have a valid point....
#14 Old 06-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Achoo!

Sorry. I'm allergic to bull****.
#15 Old 06-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

"How many dumb animals had to die . . ."

Um, what person who actually cared about animals would call them dumb animals?
#16 Old 06-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm... I always thought euthanasia implied consent, but I guess not http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=euthanasia.
#17 Old 06-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow... Taking wild animals to be raised in a 3.7x3.7ft box, which is in comparison to their natural environment a sensory deprivation chamber, and killing them to strip them of their skin constitutes good care? I wonder if they would feel the same if I attempted to care for them to harvest their organs. Animal by-products, oh so healthy! They get veterinary care, good for them because they're cramped so unnaturally close together they're going to need it. I love the fence to keep them from contracting disease from wild animals--they are wild animals! I cant believe that a-hole at the end tried to imply that AR people dont want whats in the best interest for animals. Scum bag.
#18 Old 06-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I couldn't decide which part was worse. The two of them carrying on about how impossible and desolate a cruelty-free life would be, or the disturbing image of those dumb old bats going "out for dinner" (moreso what they'd do afterwards)... yick. "You sure know a lot for a woman" was pretty knee-slappin' funny, though. Well, I guess I better go off and eat my 18th serving of celery for the day, 'cause apparently that's all I can eat! My life without mink oil or leather.. it's brutal, I tell you!
#19 Old 06-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't yet watched this...I have no speakers on my work computer...I probably *won't* watch it (I tend to lose brain cells when it comes to things like this)...at any rate...

If the people who buy into this are so simple-minded as to be passified by one lame video and rest their consciences in it, then I highly doubt they'll ever "get it"...that the industry is sick, wrong etc.

/sigh

N/C for that.
#20 Old 06-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

The "What Can I Say" video was the only one I watched....one of the stupidest things I ever saw. "Beautiful product from garbage", indeed. All the garbage she mentioned is only there because of further disgusting practices...not to mention that kind of garbage is biodegradable anyhow.
#21 Old 06-06-2005, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

"Beautiful product from garbage", indeed.

Kind of tells you something about how they view the animals they use, no?

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#22 Old 06-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Uhh...

"I don't think anyone can live on celery!"

Yeah... that video convinced me! How have I survived the past 10 years on celery alone! Obviously I need to start eating meat and then wear fur so I'm not being wasteful.

#23 Old 06-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Couldn't the leftovers from the cows, chickens, etc. be used as dogfood, fertilizer, etc. instead of feeding it to minks?
#24 Old 06-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Jesus tapdancing Christ, the end of meat, leather, pets, etc. could never happen without popular consent.
#25 Old 06-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I know this is O/T... but what's with the "Mildred's Antiques: We have Vintage Fur Coats, Stoles, Hats, Plus Fur Mufs, Scarves and More" ad on this page?

Edit: Okay, so its not there now... but it was.
#26 Old 06-09-2005, 03:58 AM
Veggie Regular

LOL!!! I found it funny. Funny that anyone would believe it!

I'm off now to eat my celery....
#27 Old 06-09-2005, 04:03 AM
Veggie Regular

haha I see what you mean (attached)
LL
#28 Old 06-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggiTash View Post

haha I see what you mean (attached)

If you find an ad offensive PM Michael. Yeah, that shouldn't be there.
#29 Old 06-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

That video... wow. Bad acting.
#30 Old 06-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseGal View Post

I know this is O/T... but what's with the "Mildred's Antiques: We have Vintage Fur Coats, Stoles, Hats, Plus Fur Mufs, Scarves and More" ad on this page?

Edit: Okay, so its not there now... but it was.

OT but . . .the words "fur muff" always make me laugh. I just spit hot chocolate onto my desk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page