Spy for Animal Rights Group Reveals Herself - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-31-2005, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

This was on AOL:

Quote:
Spy for Animal Rights Group Reveals Herself

TRENTON, N.J. (May 30) - Lisa Leitten is finished living her double life. For the past three years, the soft-spoken, 30-year old moved from Missouri to Texas to Virginia, applying for jobs at businesses dealing with animals. She gave her real name, and some real details about herself: a master's degree in animal psychology and prior work at a primate sanctuary in Florida.

What she didn't reveal was that she was also working for an animal welfare organization, and that she wore a hidden camera to document instances in which animals were treated with what she calls horrific neglect and cruelty.

Here's the full story:

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...00010000000001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I love people who can do this kind of work. Without them we would have no real info to show the public.
#3 Old 05-31-2005, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Interesting topic. She's kinda cute, too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Got your eye on her, huh epski?

Man, I think people who do work like that are truly amazing.

It takes a lot of courage to basically pretend to be someone else for a period of time. The horrible stuff she must have seen, having to act like she wasn't an ARA, that she wasn't effected by the suffering she witnessed, but knowing that eventually she would get to show the world what really goes on behind the closed doors of animal use and abuse industries.

*yay* her, and plus she's cute, and that is important as well.
#5 Old 05-31-2005, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I'm off the market, but it never hurts to be easy on the eyes when you're being scrutinized by the powers-that-be that are looking for any way to villainize you.
#6 Old 06-01-2005, 02:07 AM

The poll on the side seems to be going well.

BTW: Shouldn't this be in the news section?
#7 Old 06-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought about where to post it, since it's news about animal rights and welfare I figured it could go either way. The poll really does seem to be going well!

That lady must be scarred for life, but she should be proud of herself for doing something many of us would never dare to do.
#8 Old 06-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I also really like the way this article was written. I find it to be very unbiased - all opinions are obviously represented as so, and stem from either the PeTA investigator or other people at hand. It raises some good ethical questions too. And, it was really fun to read. I think it's a really good article.
#9 Old 06-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Highest honors to Lisa Leitten. She rocks!

I think the poll results, not surprisingly, show major speciesism, since if it were cruelty toward humans that was being spied on, the poll results would probably be up around a 99% approval rating.

Also, the fact that it is nonhuman primates makes the poll results more favorable than if the subjects were, say, guinea pigs. OTOH, if it were beloved Golden or Labrador Retrievers getting cruel treatment, the poll results would be even more favorable than for monkeys, maybe even up to 80%!

So, the poll results just show the cultural bias for or against cruelty toward a certain species. If the cultural bias wasnt so influential and just the cruel facts mattered, spying on any and all cruelty would have an approval rating in the 90% and higher range.
#10 Old 06-02-2005, 11:10 PM

I hope I can do this one day. Although I'm not a fan of PeTA, when it comes to media work I think I could learn to live with associating with them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page