Who Made the Rule that Reality Shows Have to Feature Cruelty? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-19-2005, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

"Survivor" seemed to set the stage, when participants were handed chickens to slaughter and were shown stabbing and killing a wild pig and fish.

Then of course there is "Fear Factor", where contestants eat every imaginable animal part--including insects, which are not even killed before being shoved in someone's mouth.

"The Simple Life" had Paris and Nicole sticking an arm in a cow's behind and, according to a post on VB, apparently skinning a poached deer.

The animal abuse only seems to multiply on cable. I read that contestants on various MTV shows cruelly killed a chicken, attended a bullfighting school and participated in a greased pig contest.

VH1 sent participants to engage in carcass-related stunts on a reality show headed by Ted Nugent. I just saw an ad on VH1 for its reality show, the Surreal Life, in which the crew visits a ranch. A poor baby calf is shown running and being lassoed while a woman says, "I've heard that cows are really dumb. You know, like fish." Or reality show contestants.

So, what I'd like know is, who made the rule that hurting animals has to be a component of so many types of reality show, from game shows to put-random-people-together-in-a-house shows to trading-places shows.

Is it because hurting animals is so ingrained in mainstream life that producers see nothing wrong with it? Do they hope to stir some controversy, and by default, ratings? Is harming animals "edgy" enough to depict an in-your-face image, but still legal and acceptable enough that producers don't have to worry about trouble with the law or the FCC?

Note: I do not watch any reality shows. I got this information from the unescapable promos--which, if there's one thing apparently more popular than showing animal abuse on reality shows, it's showing clips of it on commercials for reality shows.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
So, what I'd like know is, who made the rule that hurting animals has to be a component of so many types of reality show, from game shows to put-random-people-together-in-a-house shows to trading-places shows.

The producers.

Quote:
Is it because hurting animals is so ingrained in mainstream life that producers see nothing wrong with it? Do they hope to stir some controversy, and by default, ratings? Is harming animals "edgy" enough to depict an in-your-face image, but still legal and acceptable enough that producers don't have to worry about trouble with the law or the FCC?

Yes

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 01-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you thought of writing to these television companies to say that you disapprove? I've heard letter-writing helps in some situations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Universal is adding a Fear Factor Live show to the park. There will be insects and so forth involved, but they are taking even more pains to "protect" them than even the TV show does, so... I don't know. I was pretty upset about it, but at least the guy telling us about it mentioned they were doing it to try to keep the animals rights people happy. Reminds me one reason why we're here. If we didn't make any noise, our squeaky wheels wouldn't get that grease.

Oh, BTW, keep this on the DL. I'm not sure we're allowed to be sharing this yet....
#5 Old 01-19-2005, 11:25 PM
Banned

Fear factor and some other violence prone reality shows are our modern day answers to the gladiatorial games and a basic blood lust. Just my opinion.
#6 Old 01-20-2005, 12:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Because people (besides the animal activists, veggies, etc.) are in awe oer the brutality and disgustingness of animal intestines, murder, etc. I was once like that too though.
#7 Old 01-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

Oh, BTW, keep this on the DL. I'm not sure we're allowed to be sharing this yet....

It has been announced somewhere, as I saw it mentioned on another website.
#8 Old 01-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, good.
#9 Old 01-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Baby Love

The reality is that the world is cruel ... even though a lot of other aspects of reality TV are 'unreal'.

I would much rather watch an uncruel unreality show ... blissful ignorance. Ahhh.
#10 Old 01-20-2005, 11:58 AM

You totally left out "Man vs. Beast," the show where humans compete against animals in tests of physical prowess. (The one show I saw featured a sprinter competing in a foot race with a zebra ).

As for reality shows in general,

The Rev
#11 Old 01-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

..because many people are cruel and thoughtless..what do you expect from people who eat meat,wear leather,buy fur ect..many people just dont think about it or care.

I wish they did.
#12 Old 01-28-2005, 10:57 AM

It's interesting how on Fear Factor, the human viewer is led to sympathize with the plight of the poor human, being forced to eat something as disgusting as a bug. But no one thinks of that poor insect, thrown into a large vat with many other insects, grabbed suddenly, and eaten.

It's cruel because it's not as though humans need bugs to survive. The pig things on survivor was disgusting as well.
#13 Old 01-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V422005 View Post

It's interesting how on Fear Factor, the human viewer is led to sympathize with the plight of the poor human, being forced to eat something as disgusting as a bug. But no one thinks of that poor insect, thrown into a large vat with many other insects, grabbed suddenly, and eaten.

I know...oh that poor human has snakes all over her..boo hoo.

I hate reality TV
#14 Old 01-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life2k View Post

Fear factor and some other violence prone reality shows are our modern day answers to the gladiatorial games and a basic blood lust. Just my opinion.

Yup.

I often wonder how the people who promote and participate in that cruelty would act if the proverbial shoe were on the other foot, we were in the gradiator days, and they were the victims of staring at a hungry lion before he ate them alive or a well armed and protected fighter ready to gore them to death in front of a roaring crowd? I wonder how many of them would literally pee or defecate in their pants?

I certainly would be scared, but I'm not subjecting anyone else to that horror either, much less ****ing enjoying it.
#15 Old 02-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

i hear ya... id think im pretty tough outdoors to survive on my own and all, but fear factor and junk like that, they go too far... i would loose any eating contest they have.. its always animal parts... physicall stuff would be the game.
#16 Old 02-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to admit, Im a reality tv addict. But I refuse to watch Fear Factor and shows like that. I do watch Survivor only because they dont use animals that often.

When you see a really bad car accident most of us crane our necks to see it better. Its kinda like that for TV and why people watch it. And the shock factor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page