• 1 Post By Otakun96
  • 1 Post By eve55
  • 1 Post By Thalassa
  • 2 Post By Funsized
  • 1 Post By mads_love17

#1 Old 11-19-2016, 02:36 PM

"Vegans are not worth engaging with."

*not going to be grammatically correct because I'm ranting*

Today, I was at an agricultural leadership conference. I don't want to disclose any details because I don't want to personally attack anyone.
But, wow, just wow. I don't even know where to start. So basically these beef farmers came to lecture us on why we need to "share OUR story," and not let all the crazies speak for us. One of the first things they showed us in their PowerPoint was pictures of what many people's perceptions of agriculture is. There were pictures of dairy cows laying in blood and chickens and pigs in small, cramped cages. They then went on to say how wrong this perception is. But, uh, the pictures came from somewhere, bud. They then went on to say how wonderful GMO's, hormones, and antibiotics are in the animal industry!!
The living being slaughterer proceeded to show us a picture of his cow's with snow on their backs, saying how that shows they're healthy because they aren't giving off body heat. I thought it was THE cutest thing how he cares so much about their body heat, but not their lives!
Then this man's accomplice to murder (wife) told this enticing story about how their was a PETA rally in their town, and a lady was dressed up in a cow costume dumping "milk" in a trash can, saying dairy cows are abused. Then, the SAVIOR farmers, donated 500 GALLONS of milk to local food pantries to show how the dairy industry is so wonderful. They said for every gallon of milk wasted by PETA, they would donate. See, the problem was, they failed to realize that this "milk" they were "wasting" was a mixture of corn starch and water AND to make it even better, it said that explicitly in the article THEY had up on the PowerPoint.
And now here's one of my favorite parts of the whole lecture! The man told a story about how a supporter of animal rights wanted to buy a steer from them to save it from slaughter so it could live its natural life out in a pasture. THEN THE MAN SAID AND I QUOTE "It's a steer. This is it's natural life." IN WHAT WORLD? IN WHAT WORLD WAS THIS POOR ANIMAL "MEANT" TO BE STEAK?!?!!?
And now for my final favorite part of today. They were summing up their lecture with saying how we need to start conversations with people about the reality of agriculture. But there's a catch. Vegans and other "crazy" people are so brainwashed that, and I quote, "they are not worth engaging with." So I don't even deserve basic human dignity and respect. My opinion, my voice is not valid. I am so insane for wanting to save animal's lives that I'm not even worth talking to.
So, in sum, here's what I learned today
•Animals are money, not sentient beings.
•Milk is cornstarch and water.
•The dairy industry sending unwanted young calves to slaughter is kind.
•Drinking cow milk meant for it's calves is beautiful.
•Killing animals is humane.
•GMOs are love, GMOs are life.
•Loving animals is anti-agriculture.
•Cattle's natural life is slaughter.
•Accomplices to murder look like Joseph Stalin, Hillary Clinton, and Hitler all in one. (Her outfit was something all three would wear.)
•Agriculture is pronounced "eggriculture."
•All vegans are crazy immoral scumbags and super negative. Saving animals' lives is something like Hitler would do.
•Vegans are not worth basic human dignity, respect, or worth talking to.

I had a great day guys! Feel free to comment I'd love to talk more with you guys about this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-19-2016, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Holy crap that is unbelievable!

I guess it's not surprising though, they're spinning things every way they can trying to save their jobs and keep making money. Money makes people say and do crazy things...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 11-19-2016, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mads_love17 View Post

Today, I was at an agricultural leadership conference. I don't want to disclose any details because I don't want to personally attack anyone.
But, wow, just wow. I don't even know where to start. So basically these beef farmers came to lecture us on why we need to "share OUR story," and not let all the crazies speak for us. One of the first things they showed us in their PowerPoint was pictures of what many people's perceptions of agriculture is. There were pictures of dairy cows laying in blood and chickens and pigs in small, cramped cages. They then went on to say how wrong this perception is. But, uh, the pictures came from somewhere, bud. They then went on to say how wonderful GMO's, hormones, and antibiotics are in the animal industry!!
The living being slaughterer proceeded to show us a picture of his cow's with snow on their backs, saying how that shows they're healthy because they aren't giving off body heat. I thought it was THE cutest thing how he cares so much about their body heat, but not their lives!
Then this man's accomplice to murder (wife) told this enticing story about how their was a PETA rally in their town, and a lady was dressed up in a cow costume dumping "milk" in a trash can, saying dairy cows are abused. Then, the SAVIOR farmers, donated 500 GALLONS of milk to local food pantries to show how the dairy industry is so wonderful. They said for every gallon of milk wasted by PETA, they would donate. See, the problem was, they failed to realize that this "milk" they were "wasting" was a mixture of corn starch and water AND to make it even better, it said that explicitly in the article THEY had up on the PowerPoint.
And now here's one of my favorite parts of the whole lecture! The man told a story about how a supporter of animal rights wanted to buy a steer from them to save it from slaughter so it could live its natural life out in a pasture. THEN THE MAN SAID AND I QUOTE "It's a steer. This is it's natural life." IN WHAT WORLD? IN WHAT WORLD WAS THIS POOR ANIMAL "MEANT" TO BE STEAK?!?!!?
And now for my final favorite part of today. They were summing up their lecture with saying how we need to start conversations with people about the reality of agriculture. But there's a catch. Vegans and other "crazy" people are so brainwashed that, and I quote, "they are not worth engaging with." So I don't even deserve basic human dignity and respect. My opinion, my voice is not valid. I am so insane for wanting to save animal's lives that I'm not even worth talking to.
•Accomplices to murder look like Joseph Stalin, Hillary Clinton, and Hitler all in one. (Her outfit was something all three would wear.)
•All vegans are crazy immoral scumbags and super negative. Saving animals' lives is something like Hitler would do.

I had a great day guys! Feel free to comment I'd love to talk more with you guys about this!
mads_love17 likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-20-2016, 05:36 AM
Veggie Regular

No point trying to engage with them. Best thing is to convince people to eat less meat and convince your political representatives to remove any meat subsidies in your country.

Argunig with these people achieves nothing. Even if you could get them to shut down their operations and more to vegetable farming instead that would just mean that their competitors sell more meat.

So their opinions aren't relevant.

The battle of hearts and minds is with the customers mainly.
silva, Purp, David3 and 2 others like this.
#5 Old 11-20-2016, 06:02 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

I reside in an area that's heavily laden with meat and dairy farmers and all the industries that support them. It makes for painful navigation within a day. I feel your pain. Thank you for planting seeds of wisdom along the way. There's definitely enough fertilizer being spread about to hopefully help them grow.
Purp and mads_love17 like this.
#6 Old 11-20-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
No point trying to engage with them. Best thing is to convince people to eat less meat and convince your political representatives to remove any meat subsidies in your country.

Argunig with these people achieves nothing. Even if you could get them to shut down their operations and more to vegetable farming instead that would just mean that their competitors sell more meat.

So their opinions aren't relevant.

The battle of hearts and minds is with the customers mainly.

Agreed! It just upsets me that they're even spreading these lies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 11-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowtions In Motion View Post
I reside in an area that's heavily laden with meat and dairy farmers and all the industries that support them. It makes for painful navigation within a day. I feel your pain. Thank you for planting seeds of wisdom along the way. There's definitely enough fertilizer being spread about to hopefully help them grow.
I used to live in the country too and had to pass several dairy farms going to and from town. I remember one winter when the temperature was about -14 degrees celsius and there were new calves huddled in front of those awful igloos! Now considering that my adult horses were both wearing heavy winter blankets at the time, those tiny babies with nothing to protect them just broke my heart. We've since moved into a small city and I'm actually glad that I don't live out in the peaceful countryside for the reason mentioned above.

As for the conference the OP went to, I'm guessing that you weren't really all that surprised at what you heard there that day. It's a world of delusion.
#8 Old 11-30-2016, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mads_love17 View Post

I would've hijacked their powerpoint and replaced it with the video "Earthlings" and then justified their attitude. This is *just* me, however...
mads_love17 likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#9 Old 11-30-2016, 09:02 PM

I would say you're being a bit dramatic towards the end, it's not good to catastrophize in any situation.

I do think they're misguided but should be convinced in a more rational, stern, and calm manner. The one who freaks out and does bizarre things like rally, pour red paint on themselves to symbolize this or that, etc just looks insane to the other party and they'll never be taken seriously. Makes me cringe when people scream and rally like children when they should just use their words. It infuriates me too how people can just kill/eat animals without having any remorse, and it's tempting to yell at them and tell them how heartless they're being, but we live in a society where it's normal to slaughter and kill certain animals. You just have to educate people who want to be educated and not force guilt on people who don't care... it doesn't work.

I started changing my eating habits after working close to a farm at one of my jobs. I got to visit the animals every day before and after work and realized just how similar they are to animals we consider "pets", and it made me very sad. I think if more people had pigs, cows, chickens, etc as pets, they would develop a soft spot for those animals as well. That's all we can hope for; because I don't think screaming in their face, scaring them by showing them bloody images, and talking to meat-eaters in a condescending way (like a lot of vegans and vegetarians do) is going to help.

Sorry if I came off as lecturing and I do feel bad that you had to go through that. I would have been fuming inside too but I would have liked to have a discussion with them regardless.
mads_love17 likes this.
#10 Old 05-06-2017, 06:25 AM

Oh my god this makes me so mad! I think I need a hug now I feel so awful that people like that are real. A hug from another animal lover and vegan.
mads_love17 likes this.
#11 Old 05-07-2017, 08:13 PM

That's crazy. I believe it's money drives them so crazy. God...they’re inhuman. Shame on them.
mads_love17 likes this.
#12 Old 05-11-2017, 09:09 PM
Bandit

We win economically at life insurance. We are a survivor cohort.

Most people who decide not to side with us don't know much about life insurance or just do stupid at life vs. disaster.

We are the best thing at life insurance cohort. Lol.
mads_love17 likes this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#13 Old 05-11-2017, 09:22 PM

I'm a thirteen year old girl which often gives the perception to those around me that I don't know what I'm talking about, which makes these other thirteen year olds believe that I know absolutely nothing.

Evryday I get told I cannot go vegan, by practically the people I barely talk to. One of my friends told me " your just wasting, it's already dead" in which I had to explain.

My friends laugh about how much I rant when They have a misconception and make me out as a hippie. I'm not even close to a hippie, I love science and I don't believe in anything spiritual etc.. So rather than be based on my actual hippiness they assume that I'm a hippie because I love animals.

I get snarky comments from strangers like today at the keg ( a restaurant) this server asked if I wanted chicken on my salad and I said no, my dad added I'm a vegetarian and so the server laughed like I was a three year old and said " trust me that won't last for long" then when he put down my salad added " here's your vegetarian meal" chuckled and left.

I mean yours is worse but I think dealing with uneducated people is the way of vegetarian and vegan life. If only I actually could hold my temper.
Thalassa and mads_love17 like this.
#14 Old 05-11-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funsized View Post
I'm a thirteen year old girl which often gives the perception to those around me that I don't know what I'm talking about, which makes these other thirteen year olds believe that I know absolutely nothing.

Evryday I get told I cannot go vegan, by practically the people I barely talk to. One of my friends told me " your just wasting, it's already dead" in which I had to explain.

My friends laugh about how much I rant when They have a misconception and make me out as a hippie. I'm not even close to a hippie, I love science and I don't believe in anything spiritual etc.. So rather than be based on my actual hippiness they assume that I'm a hippie because I love animals.

I get snarky comments from strangers like today at the keg ( a restaurant) this server asked if I wanted chicken on my salad and I said no, my dad added I'm a vegetarian and so the server laughed like I was a three year old and said " trust me that won't last for long" then when he put down my salad added " here's your vegetarian meal" chuckled and left.

I mean yours is worse but I think dealing with uneducated people is the way of vegetarian and vegan life. If only I actually could hold my temper.

Ignorance is bliss, as we know lol. Anyways, best of luck to you and I know it definitely WILL last for long good for you for being vegetarian/vegan
Thalassa likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page