Im going to a circus protest today :D - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-05-2004, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Barnum and Bailey's circus is here once again and we have organized a peaceful protest. Im excited. Its my first protest!

Were just going to stand off to the side of the enterance with our signs and some info sheets.

Yay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-05-2004, 08:30 AM

R2L!

Hopefully the flyers will reach someone(s).

Power to the people.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 09-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm eager to hear how it goes. I have yet to get up the courage to go to one myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Administrator

I've done a couple. It's fun. Ours had a lot of people so it wasn't too intimidating.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#5 Old 09-05-2004, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Ill post about it when I get back today.

I feel so great to be able to do this. Ya know? I feel like Im helping and contributing.

The last 2 years Ive really fallen in love with elephants (big time) so this protest has an extra umph for me.

I cant wait! Im so excited!! lol
#6 Old 09-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, Im back. It was neat. We had a couple of people who were A--holes and had a couple of people come up to us and ask questions. But most of them ignored us and hurried on by. Some kids were asking what were on our signs (the real young ones) and some parents said "Just stupid stuff, dont mind them" and some yelled out "I bet you will vote for Kerry too!" Well, Duh! I restrained myself real well and only yelled back 3 times lol The angel that I am. For the most part it felt real good out there doing something.

Hey, you know how you see on movies or the news of the protesters walking around? Well its not for you to see their signs better. They have to move to stay out of peoples way and not to be considered loitering. Neat huh? I never knew that.

So, good news is that we got some people to think and the best part is that I didnt go to jail!!
#7 Old 09-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh! And i heard alot of people say "Well it wouldnt be a circus without the animals!
#8 Old 09-06-2004, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

These have obviously never heard of or seen Cirque De Soliel (sp?). I'm stoked that you had fun.... I would love to protest a circus. I have never been to one, and don't ever plan on going. Even my omni husband sees the evil behind circuses.
#9 Old 09-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post

These have obviously never heard of or seen Cirque De Soliel (sp?). I'm stoked that you had fun.... I would love to protest a circus. I have never been to one, and don't ever plan on going. Even my omni husband sees the evil behind circuses.

LOL so does mine. Well, exhubby now. Hes never liked them and hes an omni.

This one guy said "I support circuses without protesters" and I said "I support freedom of speech"

Of course he had no comeback for that one.

Im just really glad i went. This January we have the huge Shriners coming and we are going to protest on that one too. Most of them wear costumes to help with the cold. Im going to go as a bear!
#10 Old 09-06-2004, 08:23 AM

May I ask, what state was this protest in?
#11 Old 09-06-2004, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

It was in Fort Wayne Indiana
#12 Old 09-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

So did you make the news on tv?
#13 Old 09-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Naw, PETA came on friday so they got all of the coverage. We didnt contact the news anyways so we didnt worry about it. We didnt even know PETA was there until I talked my mom before we got there. She said she saw them on TV there and thought of me cuz she knew I was going. But PETA got stuck in the rain on that friday lol
#14 Old 09-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I know this is OT but i love your avatar Annie!
#15 Old 09-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks! I found it on the net, but that's how my kitten really sleeps! It's so funny. She falls asleep in "normal" cat position and then she flips and stretches and flops the whole time she's sleeping. She lays on her back a lot and sleeps like a dog, LOL!
#16 Old 09-07-2004, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Just want to say and there was a circus protest in my town too the other day and it made the news I dont like seeing animals treated like than
#17 Old 09-07-2004, 10:12 AM

Right on, R2L.

You might consider following up with a letter to editor, especially since some of the townsfolk seem uneducated regarding non-animal circuses.

You go girl! (not quite sure I can quite pull that one off, but hey. lol )

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#18 Old 09-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

PETA already talked to the news and news papers when they were there on Fri (I went on Sun) but yeah i may do a letter to the editor.

Thanks for your I had fun and made myself feel worthwhile.
#19 Old 09-07-2004, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Good job!

I went to a Ringling Bros. protest Saturday. We did get a little blurb on the news. But I guess the night before some other people held a protest and didn't ask for permission first to be there, so they got kicked off. Of course, the news did a bigger story about that. They gotta make those AR activists look like law-breaking loonies.

Next year we're thinking of doing two protests and getting permission to be on both sides of the building. That way we'd get the people parking on the other side of the building, plus the ones coming in on our side but heading for the other door when they see us.
#20 Old 09-07-2004, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

LOL fortunately we were at the only exit and enterance so we got em ALL. muhahahahaha

But of course they would rather tell the story of the 'bad' AR people Makes for better news. Uh huh...
#21 Old 09-12-2004, 11:39 AM

Way to go. I'm happy you did this. I would have went if I lived by you...or if those goons come to my area, I will do it.

Cheers!
#22 Old 09-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Just check their site. Ringling Bros. site is http://www.ringling.com/ . Just use the pull-down menu that says "CITIES ON SALE NOW!" to find out when it's coming to near you.
#23 Old 09-14-2004, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Im going to another one this sunday in Indianapolis. I forget which circus is going to be there. If you are going to be near the area please come!
#24 Old 09-15-2004, 04:15 PM

Congratulations, Rain2lightening. You did a wonderful thing! Rest assured you made a difference, likely some of those young kids will remember what they saw when they come to the age to make their own decisions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page