In Defense of Cecil the Lion's Killer - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

#1 Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

In Defense of Cecil the Lion's Killer

The killing of Cecil the lion by American dentist Walter Palmer has created a worldwide uproar of disgust, anger, and indignation. But how different are Palmer’s actions from the everyday actions of the majority of the world’s population? Prepare for the terrifically unlikely vegan animal activist’s defense of Cecil the lion’s killer.
Tom, Kona, Go Vegan and 1 others like this.

--------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

@Bite Size Vegan--Emily, I just shared this on Facebook after I saw it on Darth Vegan's Facebook wall.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3 Old 08-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
@Bite Size Vegan--Emily, I just shared this on Facebook after I saw it on Darth Vegan's Facebook wall.
oh cool! thanks for letting me know
Purp likes this.

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Vegan as f**k

Thanks for bringing this up Emily. I recently was discussing the whole Cecil the lion phenomenon with some omnis. I said that the hunting of deer/ foxes/ badgers/ moose etc is no different from the hunting of Cecil the lion. I also said that the killing of "Cecil the pig" (an arbitrary title) was no different to the killing of Cecil the lion. Although they kind of agreed that the other hunting acts were similar, they really could not see the whole "farm animal"-Cecil the lion comparison. They placed the farmed cows/ pigs/ sheep/ chickens/ turkeys into a different box psychologically to Cecil the lion. The reason for this seemed to be because they expected the "farm animals" to be killed as this was "their place", yet Cecil the lion was "not supposed" to be killed and so it was wrong. They even felt that because I compared "Cecil the pig" to Cecil the lion that I was somehow not caring about Cecil the lion, presumably because I had brought the worth of his life "down" to that of a "lowly" pig.

I do not think that these omnis were deliberately being unkind per se, but they were so psychologically conditioned to make profound distinctions between the worth of lions/"pets" and the worth of cows/pigs/sheep/chickens. This speciesism I think can be very hard to break through, if indeed it is possible at all (in some cases). Some people are just so sure that "farm animals" are inferior to say lions or humans that the likelihood of them making any progress seems minimal.

I also said that the man who killed Cecil the lion was no different to any of the countless slaughterhouse workers that exist and this also seemed to be rejected, presumably for the above reasons too. I said that it was very easy for people to blame this ONE man for this SINGLE act of cruelty that had nothing to do with them, yet when the cruelty has something to do with them (i.e. eating animal products) those same people were unable to assign any blame to themselves. They could not see fault in their own actions/ could not entertain the possibility that they too could be in the wrong.

Anyway, I thought I would share my thoughts.
Tom, cienerose, LedBoots and 4 others like this.

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#5 Old 08-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Riot Nrrrd

It's captioned! Cool! Rock on.

Two bits of constructive criticism:

The first is more a broad statement about tactics. I'm fairly skeptical of arguments that root out hypocrisy, whatever the issue. But in the interest of not threadjacking , I'll move on to point 2 (Plus I tried to briefly describe my reasoning on this point, and COMPLETELY failed at being brief ...)

The second is the comment about taste preference. The ways people rationalize meat eating are complex, much more so than just citing taste preference accounts for. Only ~17% of people cite meat being 'nice' as a primary justification for eating it.

Did I mention there was a study?

In the August 2015 issue of the journal Appetite a team published the paper "Rationalizing Meat Consumption. The 4Ns." . Here's a summary from New York Magazine.
Naturebound and Beautiful Joe like this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#6 Old 08-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
Thanks for bringing this up Emily. I recently was discussing the whole Cecil the lion phenomenon with some omnis. I said that the hunting of deer/ foxes/ badgers/ moose etc is no different from the hunting of Cecil the lion. I also said that the killing of "Cecil the pig" (an arbitrary title) was no different to the killing of Cecil the lion. Although they kind of agreed that the other hunting acts were similar, they really could not see the whole "farm animal"-Cecil the lion comparison. They placed the farmed cows/ pigs/ sheep/ chickens/ turkeys into a different box psychologically to Cecil the lion. The reason for this seemed to be because they expected the "farm animals" to be killed as this was "their place", yet Cecil the lion was "not supposed" to be killed and so it was wrong. They even felt that because I compared "Cecil the pig" to Cecil the lion that I was somehow not caring about Cecil the lion, presumably because I had brought the worth of his life "down" to that of a "lowly" pig.

I do not think that these omnis were deliberately being unkind per se, but they were so psychologically conditioned to make profound distinctions between the worth of lions/"pets" and the worth of cows/pigs/sheep/chickens. This speciesism I think can be very hard to break through, if indeed it is possible at all (in some cases). Some people are just so sure that "farm animals" are inferior to say lions or humans that the likelihood of them making any progress seems minimal.

I also said that the man who killed Cecil the lion was no different to any of the countless slaughterhouse workers that exist and this also seemed to be rejected, presumably for the above reasons too. I said that it was very easy for people to blame this ONE man for this SINGLE act of cruelty that had nothing to do with them, yet when the cruelty has something to do with them (i.e. eating animal products) those same people were unable to assign any blame to themselves. They could not see fault in their own actions/ could not entertain the possibility that they too could be in the wrong.

Anyway, I thought I would share my thoughts.
thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. it's always incredible the disconnect inherent in omnivorous thinking. we have to learn it as children and then unlearn it to see the reality.

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#7 Old 08-06-2015, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
It's captioned! Cool! Rock on.

Two bits of constructive criticism:

The first is more a broad statement about tactics. I'm fairly skeptical of arguments that root out hypocrisy, whatever the issue. But in the interest of not threadjacking , I'll move on to point 2 (Plus I tried to briefly describe my reasoning on this point, and COMPLETELY failed at being brief ...)

The second is the comment about taste preference. The ways people rationalize meat eating are complex, much more so than just citing taste preference accounts for. Only ~17% of people cite meat being 'nice' as a primary justification for eating it.

Did I mention there was a study?

In the August 2015 issue of the journal Appetite a team published the paper "Rationalizing Meat Consumption. The 4Ns." . Here's a summary from New York Magazine.
I've read that study...keep meaning to do a video on it. And I caption all my videos My point was that's the only *real* reason- essentially, "i want to so i'm going to."
Kona likes this.

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#8 Old 08-08-2015, 03:04 PM

I was going to post something about this when it was first in the news but I thought it would be too controversial.

I don't feel bad for Cecil the Lion because if he was left to live he'd just go eat some baby antelopes or something. I know that's natural but the Bubonic plague is also natural so what's natural is not always good. Also some people say lions are beneficial for the antelopes because if there were no lions and tigers then their population would explode. I'm pretty sure the antelopes would prefer a population explosion over having their babies eaten alive in front of them. And in fact, this logic of lions eating antelopes being good for the antelopes seems to me an ultimate "sacrifice the individuals for the good of the masses" fascist mentality.
#9 Old 08-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdorableMogwai View Post
I was going to post something about this when it was first in the news but I thought it would be too controversial.

I don't feel bad for Cecil the Lion because if he was left to live he'd just go eat some baby antelopes or something. I know that's natural but the Bubonic plague is also natural so what's natural is not always good. Also some people say lions are beneficial for the antelopes because if there were no lions and tigers then their population would explode. I'm pretty sure the antelopes would prefer a population explosion over having their babies eaten alive in front of them. And in fact, this logic of lions eating antelopes being good for the antelopes seems to me an ultimate "sacrifice the individuals for the good of the masses" fascist mentality.
Lions have babies, too, that they need to feed-- and unlike humans, they're obligate carnivores who have no choice but to kill for food. Why is the life of a baby antelope worth more than that of a lion cub?

I don't enjoy seeing carnivores attacking their prey, and when watching nature documentaries I always root for the underdog. That said, I recognise the predator/prey relationship as a necessary evil. I'll always feel more comfortable with natural herbivores because I abhor violence, but I certainly couldn't fault a lion for feeding its family (or a cat from catching a mouse.)
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
#10 Old 08-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post

I don't enjoy seeing carnivores attacking their prey, and when watching nature documentaries I always root for the underdog. That said, I recognise the predator/prey relationship as a necessary evil. I'll always feel more comfortable with natural herbivores because I abhor violence, but I certainly couldn't fault a lion for feeding its family (or a cat from catching a mouse.)
Funny you mention that, because just about everyone roots for the prey to get away. Can you imagine sitting by someone cheering the lion on? I'd be uncomfortable, even though i'm perfectly okay with the way nature works. That's what makes it worse when humans, who not only do fine without meat, encourage the slavery, rape and murder for their appetite
I chose to go vegan during the Micheal Vick dogfighting trials. The outrage was so blatently hypocritical i couldn't stand to listen without fighting back. Everyone I knew ate meat, and ate meat while fighting tears.

I don't believe it's a disconnect anyone wants to have, but it's hard to fight when it's an illusion that's continually created. Every trip to the store, every pediatric visit, televisions and news show, cause people to go back to the belief that meat is somehow needed and in this modern world the farmed animals are the only way.

Killing a lion, promoting dogfighting--most don't connect that with anything close to needed, not even the sport, as they would deer or duck hunting, so they can be outraged without having to look in a mirror. Maybe if eating vegan was seen as easy, normal,and accessible, enslaving animals for human consumption would be looked at in horror as well

Lions need meat. that's the way of the world. As long as their is death, we're all meat (even to plants)
no whey jose likes this.
#11 Old 08-08-2015, 04:22 PM

Thousands of antelopes and other animals have to die for one lion to live. What makes one lion worth more than thousands of antelope?

It was watching a documentary about lions that sent me down the road towards vegetarianism a few years ago. I wrote about it in the first post I made here in 2013. The pride existed in a state of semi-starvation and hunger. They ambushed a hippo, but couldn't take it down completely so they just jumped on its back and licked blood from it's wounds. During this the hippo bit one of the lions and gave it a serious injury. The life of a lion doesn't seem very fun to me, in fact they seemed miserable. They're forced to be what they are and it's not their fault, but they and the system they exist within shouldn't be.

If there is a godlike entity that created this system of everything killing and eating everything else, then it is not a Christian god and I believe it's not even remotely human. I imagine it as some Cthulu like creature. By being vegetarian, I'm saying "f you" to this entity and the hell that it's created. Of course it doesn't care, I'm the equivalent of a bacteria to it. I'll die and everything I do is insignificant, but it's a small gesture that makes me feel better. I have to live in this world but I don't have to take part in it and I don't have to call this system good just because it exists. When people use the word "natural" all they're saying is "what exists without human intervention". It does not logically follow that what exists is good just for existing, i.e. to think something is good and ok just because it's natural. Look around you, nature is evil. " but nature is so neat and beautiful" some people will say, well I bet they won't think that when they're dying of hepatitis, cancer, malaria, or whatever natural disease it is they die of, or if they ever get eaten by a bear or a shark. If we could have paused time while Timothy Treadwell was in the midst of being eaten by a grizzly bear with his arms ripped off and asked him "hey do you still think bears are so cool? Do you still think this natural world is neat?" what do you think he'd have said?

Last edited by AdorableMogwai; 08-08-2015 at 04:28 PM.
#12 Old 08-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Riot Nrrrd

If you ignore him, he'll probably go away.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#13 Old 08-09-2015, 05:17 AM
Beginner

A life is a life, just depends on how far someone takes that philosophy. All of us here probably take that further than most.

I for one take it very far, but I do still cut my grass which does kill bugs and I really don't feel great about, somewhere the line needs to be drawn though if we as people are choosing to live a somewhat modern way. I mean jeez mountains are getting blasted right now for the coal to power or homes! Enough to drive me craaaaazy. Once my kids are grown hopefully I can live out of my backpack!

Sport hunting has no place though in any sane setting. Killing out of self defense?? Sure be my guest but killing the defenseless whether in nature or the slaughterhouse is shallow and cruel.
Beautiful Joe likes this.
#14 Old 08-09-2015, 07:20 AM

Advocating a policy of ignorance is a good solution, it's much easier than having to think.
#15 Old 08-09-2015, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

@AdorableMogwai
I think we humans need to get our house in order before we judge the lion for killing the antelope.

1) the innocent animals in wild atleast are free till they are taken down by the lions.(unlike farms, where they only know suffering and cages till they die).

2) There little alternative for us to change how the relationship between carnivores and herbivores in the wild. Lions don't listen to reason nor they have viable plant based dietary options.
Humans on the other hand have the capacity for empathy and morals, as well as the option of being vegan or as close to it as possible.
#16 Old 08-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Might want to re-think the title on this one. The video and script didn't make a single point or say a single word in defense of the dentist who killed that lion in Zimbabwe.

Rather than criticize the attention given to "named animals" ike Cecil and Babe, why not be glad there's another issue out there that has people caring about what happens to animals, another poster-animal that puts a picture in people's minds. James Cromwell, who played Farmer Hoggett in Babe, is now an outspoken animal advocate and vegan. Rather than pointing an ironic finger at the outcry, how about seeing it as the potential catalyst it is for changing hearts. Putting names to animals is a good thing. Putting a name to Babe spared quite a few anonymous, nameless pigs, ducks, chickens and cows; I expect it was a factor in turning many of the meat-rejectors right here on VB. If you're in your 30s now you were a kid when it came out, and I'll bet you never forgot it. Google the words vegan and "after seeing Babe" and you might conclude Babe has turned more meat-eaters into vegans than Earthlings has.

It should be possible to encourage a broader view of animal suffering, without criticizing honest, outraged gut reactions to the horrendous mistreatment of an endangered animal. Emily is right to point out that loss of habitat is responsible for far more lion deaths than hunters are, and to point out that growing crops to feed livestock is a huge reason why. But this "I don't get all the fuss about" stance doesn't help. I think people lose their credibility when they pretend not to get something they clearly do get.

Last edited by Joan Kennedy; 08-10-2015 at 11:37 AM.
#17 Old 08-10-2015, 01:57 PM

Good points Rasitha. Though I made clear I don't judge the lions, it's not their fault. I merely pointed out that lions are a form of natural evil, and the system they're a part of is brutal and evil. Just because something exists and we can call it natural doesn't make it alright.

The lions are victims of this evil system just as much as their prey is, when I watched the documentary on lions their lives seemed absolutely miserable. They were hungry all the time. First they tried to kill a giraffe but it got away. Then they went after the hippo, they were able to bite chunks out of it and lick it's blood, but it in turn bit one of them so bad that it got a brain hemorrhage and the lion was suffering from this injury for days. This is what nature is, just a bunch of creatures consumed by hunger and fear wandering around brutally killing each other. That's what I call evil, and I don't feel bad that a lion is dead. The lion is better off dead.

If I was a lion, a vampire-like being consisting of hunger and bloodlust, then I would want someone to kill me and end that horrible existence too. You see it's never enough for a wild lion, they're always hungry. They exist in a state of need, and they have to do brutal, gory things to even be content for a few minutes. So I say, R.I.P. Cecil, your nightmare is finally over.

@Joan Kennedy I agree with that very much about animal movies making us realize that animals have emotions too. Probably watching all those movies at various points of my life is one of the reasons I'm vegetarian today. Especially Watership Down and Plague Dogs.
#18 Old 08-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Good points Rasitha. Though I made clear I don't judge the lions, it's not their fault. I merely pointed out that lions are a form of natural evil, and the system they're a part of is brutal and evil. Just because something exists and we can call it natural doesn't make it alright.

The lions are victims of this evil system just as much as their prey is, when I watched the documentary on lions their lives seemed absolutely miserable. They were hungry all the time. First they tried to kill a giraffe but it got away. Then they went after the hippo, they were able to bite chunks out of it and lick it's blood, but it in turn bit one of them so bad that it got a brain hemorrhage and the lion was suffering from this injury for days. This is what nature is, just a bunch of creatures consumed by hunger and fear wandering around brutally killing each other. That's what I call evil, and I don't feel bad that a lion is dead. The lion is better off dead.

If I was a lion, a vampire-like being consisting of hunger and bloodlust, then I would want someone to kill me and end that horrible existence too. You see it's never enough for a wild lion, they're always hungry. They exist in a state of need, and they have to do brutal, gory things to even be content for a few minutes. So I say, R.I.P. Cecil, your nightmare is finally over.

@Joan Kennedy I agree with that very much about animal movies making us realize that animals have emotions too. Probably watching all those movies at various points of my life is one of the reasons I'm vegetarian today. Especially Watership Down and Plague Dogs.
Non-human animals enjoy their lives, just like humans (even humans in difficult situations) do. They bond with others, form loving relationships, play, cuddle, sunbathe. It's true that nature can be cruel and that life involves a great deal of suffering, but it involves a great deal of joy as well.
#19 Old 08-10-2015, 02:22 PM

From watching the documentary I did, I wouldn't go so far as to say the lions had a "great deal of joy", perhaps momentary warm/mammalian feelings amidst all the carnage, death, and suffering they wrought on other living things.

What about the animals that aren't mammals? What about the sharks? Where's the joy, relationships and cuddlyness of those things? Look into their eyes, and you see, they're just pure cold mindless evil. Whatever created that is evil, and whatever system such a thing can exist as a part of is evil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jaws.jpg (50.8 KB, 38 views)
#20 Old 08-10-2015, 03:02 PM
Beginner

Quote:
From watching the documentary I did, I wouldn't go so far as to say the lions had a "great deal of joy", perhaps momentary warm/mammalian feelings amidst all the carnage, death, and suffering they wrought on other living things.

What about the animals that aren't mammals? What about the sharks? Where's the joy, relationships and cuddlyness of those things? Look into their eyes, and you see, they're just pure cold mindless evil. Whatever created that is evil, and whatever system such a thing can exist as a part of is evil.
You should watch more documentaries, I think the lions have a balance of good/evil that is unique to them, and necessary for survival in the environment they live. there is more to them than meets the eye, can't just say they are "evil" and "better off dead".

One could say that you are "evil" for powering up your computer to type that since you are paying an energy company to mine, transport, burn, and pollute/destroy/kill wild animals and their habitat just to supply you the electricity...are you "better off dead" because of that?

And for the sharks, they fill their niche well here in the living world as well. Maybe the soul of that seal will be more understanding, compassionate, and experienced for the afterlife because it experienced all levels of fear pain and suffering before death?

See the funny thing is that us humans are so out of touch with the natural world it is all speculation on our end. We have no idea what these animals are thinking or seeing or doing - all I know is that they follow the natural path and don't cause 1/100 the damage that us "superior" beings do here on Earth. They see, hear, feel and live possibly even better than us.

If you want to look at it from a creator type view, I would say that a shark is a more perfect form of creation than a human any day, sure it kills but it does so in a non-wasteful and non-trash producing manner, along with other much more Earth friendly ways of life that us humans just can't seem to do ourselves.
#21 Old 08-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I can't help but think "what about the plants?"

Life revolves around death. evil is murder-carnivours do not 'murder'. People don't murder when they hunt out of necessity- they do when they kill without need, and that's why I'm veg'n
#22 Old 08-10-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrimm View Post
Maybe the soul of that seal will be more understanding, compassionate, and experienced for the afterlife because it experienced all levels of fear pain and suffering before death?
That sounds logical. And following that logic, wouldn't factory farms be the ultimate in benevolence with all those animal souls they're preparing and all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrimm View Post
If you want to look at it from a creator type view, I would say that a shark is a more perfect form of creation than a human any day, sure it kills but it does so in a non-wasteful and non-trash producing manner
There's something very similar written in the Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey, except he uses a spider as a comparison instead of a shark.

I believe at some point all of us vegetarians and vegans get confronted with a form of the statement "But it's natural to eat meat, look at (insert predatory animal here)". For some people it's not immediately apparent that what's natural isn't necessarily good, so they way they resolve this is by giving everything in nature other than humans a pass, because "hey it's nature, nature is by default good and beautiful for no other reason that it exists".

They will for example, condemn deer hunting humans but at the same time find beauty in a carnivorous centipede. (It's not apparent that a human being has any more choice than a centipede by the way, as all organisms are just complex reaction mechanisms.)

"Oh look a centipede eating a mouse. It's not a murderer like those humans are, it's just fulfilling it's beautiful natural function. Can't you sense the joy in all this?"

I'm a friend of the mice, zebras, and rabbits of the world. As far as the lions, alligators, sharks, serpents and canivorous centipedes go, I hate them. They're not beautiful, they are what I consider evil.

Last edited by Capstan; 08-10-2015 at 04:37 PM.
#23 Old 08-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

...but what about the plants?

How much do you hate bacteria and parasites? And you do realize your niced up version of how you wish the world was would not work?
LedBoots likes this.
#24 Old 08-10-2015, 05:13 PM

What about the plants? What do plants have to do with a lion biting a chunk out of a zebra's neck? You sound like the meat eating people I know when they find out I'm vegetarian.

Bacteria is on the hate list too, malaria, yersinia pestis, etc, have killed more people than anything else in history and so many children died. But hey it's nature, nature is good right? There must be a joyous side to the bubonic plague somewhere I'm sure.

I just know what I feel in life and when I see a shark biting a seal's head off, I hate it. When I see a carnivorous centipede eating a mouse I want to stomp that centipede. I hope those centipedes go extinct. A better world could exist, if something made this world then it could have made a better world.
#25 Old 08-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

the 'what about plants' was said with complete sarcasm in response to what i read as an emotional reaction. the earth sustains itself quite well with the varied diets of species.
everything is food, whether it dies before it's eaten, or during. we'll all decompose, whether herbivore or carnivore.

what would it say about you if you were to stop carnivores from killing, from getting the nutrients in the only obtainable ways? wouldn;t it be like playing the same god you condemn if you were to pick and choose how other species live?

herbivores also eat insects- is there a reason they're okay to kill?
#26 Old 08-10-2015, 05:57 PM

Imagine you were on safari and saw a chimpanzee being squeezed to death by a python, and you have a rifle with you. Would you shoot the python and save the chimpanzee, or would you just leave it to eaten?

If you would save the chimpanzee then at heart you agree with everything I've written in this thread.
#27 Old 08-11-2015, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

It is equally as naive to suggest that nature is "evil" as it is to suggest that nature is "good." There is no evidence of a creator at all and therefore nothing to rebel against. What exists in nature exists because it exists, because up until this point it's worked. We are the ones who assign moral values to things. Ethics is an idea we've created, and we can only hold ourselves accountable. A shark eating a seal is no more an evil act than falling off your chair and hurting your leg is an evil act on the part of the chair. Things that non-humans do can be violent, they can be unfortunate (depending on where you stand-- if you look at it from the perspective of the seal, for instance), but they cannot truly be good or evil, and it is pointless to seek vengeance for the lives of animals taken by carnivores. I feel sad when my cat kills a mouse, of course, because death is sad. I don't blame the cat! How could I? The cat is only doing what a cat is programmed to do. Humans, on the other hand, have developed frontal cortexes and a level of self-awareness and capacity for self-reflection which demands that we hold ourselves to different standards. Even so, I wouldn't fault a human for taking down an antelope, either, if it was absolutely necessary for his survival or that of his family. How could life on earth persist otherwise?

And yes, lions certainly feel joy. You seem to be basing your entre view of the life of lions on one documentary. There are many other documentaries which show lion cubs playing together, leaping and running and generally having fun. While ethics might be a human invention, emotions (particularly joy, sadness, fear, and love) are experiences shared amongst most (if not all) advanced animals. If an animal isn't capable of experiencing joy, then he also would be incapable of experiencing suffering, so there would be no need to lament his fate or to wish death upon him.

I know very little about sharks, but I do believe they live in social groups and form symbiotic relationships with other sea creatures, so they are not simply mindless killing machines, either. Maybe it would be comforting for you to learn more about various animals and the unique abilities they possess. You seem to be intentionally viewing everything in the most negative possible light. That's more a reflection on your attitude than on reality itself. If you choose to acknowledge the lighter parts of life, you may feel less desolate about it all.
#28 Old 08-11-2015, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

@AdorableMogwai
You've being watching the wrong documentaries dude. Lions chill a lot. They groom and mate and compete for top spot not just hunt perpetually.
Beautiful Joe likes this.
#29 Old 08-11-2015, 01:28 PM

The documentary I watched was called Lion Army: Battle to Survive and the lioness who was bit in the head by the hippo was referred to as "Dew Claw" by the narrator. This is the documentary I wrote about back in 2013 and my reflections and beliefs about nature being evil is the central reason I'm a vegetarian. If I didn't assign this moral judgement to nature then I'd still be eating meat right now. I used to believe that "might makes right" and I justified everything I did by saying "this is natural, this is just how things are set up" but then I realized that just because something is set up to be a certain way doesn't make it right.

Also I'm not angry or seeking vengeance against lions, I just don't particularly feel it's a tragedy that Cecil the lion was killed. Where is the outcry for "Molly the Zebra", I wonder. She had her neck bit by a lion and was ripped apart painfully.

Do you all agree with me at least that carnivorous centipedes should be extinct?
#30 Old 08-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Chaotic Vegetarian

Quote:
Also I'm not angry or seeking vengeance against lions, I just don't particularly feel it's a tragedy that Cecil the lion was killed. Where is the outcry for "Molly the Zebra", I wonder. She had her neck bit by a lion and was ripped apart painfully.
Noooooooo !
Molly's been killed for food through instinct by a lion.
Cecil's been killed for leisure through money by a human.

Lions and humans don't have the same needs and moral issues. If lions have moral issues.
silva and Beautiful Joe like this.

Bon appétit !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page