• 4 Post By melimomTARDIS
  • 1 Post By xPigeon Swarmx
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 2 Post By melimomTARDIS
  • 1 Post By BiteSizeVegan

#1 Old 05-27-2015, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

How Many Animals Are Killed Every Year & How Little We Care

The numbers in this video are shocking. We are great at counting calories, measuring profits, quantifying just about anything. But when it comes to knowing our impact on other beings, we seem to fall short. Exactly how many animals do we eat every year? How may animals are killed every year whether for food, clothing, research, entertainment, what have you? In this video I share with you my experience in trying to find these numbers in an quantify our collective impact on the animals of this world. Please share this video in the smallest effort to begin accounting for our actions and informing others of the utter enormity of what we have done and continue to do. /ByTheNumbers

--------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

Last edited by Capstan; 06-03-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-30-2015, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

this was a tough video for me BSV. One of my friends (maid of honor at my wedding) was the first and only vegan I have ever met. Her veganism was derived from her native american spiritual tradition.

Her whole family are limited in the meat they consume, or vegetarian, or vegan. They view the taking of an animal's life as a serious event, fraught with spiritual consequences. At a meal where an animal was consumed (in their home) the family would thank the animal, and do a small ceremony to mark its passing.

My friend figured that eating dairy products and eggs was a logical next step in reducing her environmental and spiritual impact on this world.

I wont talk much about her tribe's spirituality, because they are very concerned with keeping their practices private. I was only invited to these ceremonies because of my close relationship with one of the members.

I wish I understood her veganism at the time, but she had so much information, it was hard to absorb at the time. I am grateful she opened the door, and I discovered a taste for veggie foods during our friendship.
#3 Old 05-31-2015, 01:25 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
this was a tough video for me BSV. One of my friends (maid of honor at my wedding) was the first and only vegan I have ever met. Her veganism was derived from her native american spiritual tradition.

Her whole family are limited in the meat they consume, or vegetarian, or vegan. They view the taking of an animal's life as a serious event, fraught with spiritual consequences. At a meal where an animal was consumed (in their home) the family would thank the animal, and do a small ceremony to mark its passing.

My friend figured that eating dairy products and eggs was a logical next step in reducing her environmental and spiritual impact on this world.

I wont talk much about her tribe's spirituality, because they are very concerned with keeping their practices private. I was only invited to these ceremonies because of my close relationship with one of the members.

I wish I understood her veganism at the time, but she had so much information, it was hard to absorb at the time. I am grateful she opened the door, and I discovered a taste for veggie foods during our friendship.
This is really cool. It's also interesting because a lot of meat eaters will use Native Americans as examples of why we're "meant" to eat meat. I wish we could know more about her tribe, but I understand their desire for discretion.
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-31-2015, 04:23 AM
Veggie Regular

When I first went vegan I was much more sensitive to the massive quantities of animals killed for human use. It was staggering to me. I used to walk down grocery aisles and see the massive bottles of fish oil or the carton after carton of milks just for that store alone and that given time and it would boggle my mind how much suffering, exploitation, depleted resources that had to have caused. I can never understand when people argue that we need meat to survive. It's such a lie, and at some point every single human on this Earth is going to have to find another way because we are destroying our world and rapidly depleting precious resources with our use of animals while our own population continues to explode.

I don't think about this aspect as much now because it is just too overwhelming, but I think it is an excellent tool for "showing" people the impact humans have on the world.
no whey jose likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#5 Old 05-31-2015, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

quite a few of the native american tribes view animals as equals.

If you must eat a fish (they prefer the "holy" grain crops) you thank the river for the fish, and you thank the fish for its life. The view that all native americans were eating copious amounts of hunted game daily is false.

Maybe on the great plains it was that way, but amongst my friend's tribe, the grain crops were viewed as a holy and staple food.
#6 Old 05-31-2015, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

thanks so much for sharing this. so glad she took the next steps. and this was a hard one for me too!

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#7 Old 05-31-2015, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
When I first went vegan I was much more sensitive to the massive quantities of animals killed for human use. It was staggering to me. I used to walk down grocery aisles and see the massive bottles of fish oil or the carton after carton of milks just for that store alone and that given time and it would boggle my mind how much suffering, exploitation, depleted resources that had to have caused. I can never understand when people argue that we need meat to survive. It's such a lie, and at some point every single human on this Earth is going to have to find another way because we are destroying our world and rapidly depleting precious resources with our use of animals while our own population continues to explode.

I don't think about this aspect as much now because it is just too overwhelming, but I think it is an excellent tool for "showing" people the impact humans have on the world.
it really is and being connected to it 24/7 is draining and infuriating and hearbreaking. this video took a LOT out of me to make.

Quote:
quite a few of the native american tribes view animals as equals.

If you must eat a fish (they prefer the "holy" grain crops) you thank the river for the fish, and you thank the fish for its life. The view that all native americans were eating copious amounts of hunted game daily is false.

Maybe on the great plains it was that way, but amongst my friend's tribe, the grain crops were viewed as a holy and staple food.
that's a far cry from today's relationship!

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#8 Old 05-31-2015, 11:10 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I came across this news item at Yahoo news when I was accessing my email today. I didn't feel like starting a new thread for this, and this thread seems like a logical place to put it. Many of us here are probably already somewhat familiar with the deaths of non-target species (bycatch) during commercial fishing operations:

http://www.seattletimes.com/business...fishing-fleet/

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#9 Old 05-31-2015, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I came across this news item at Yahoo news when I was accessing my email today. I didn't feel like starting a new thread for this, and this thread seems like a logical place to put it. Many of us here are probably already somewhat familiar with the deaths of non-target species (bycatch) during commercial fishing operations:

Wow, it's mind boggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#10 Old 06-01-2015, 03:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

yes I saw that in my research. absolutely devastating.
melimomTARDIS likes this.

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#11 Old 06-18-2015, 08:03 PM
Vegan as f**k

150 billion animals are killed every year (inc land and sea animals)...To say that this reflects badly on the human race is an extreme understatement
#12 Old 06-19-2015, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
150 billion animals are killed every year (inc land and sea animals)...To say that this reflects badly on the human race is an extreme understatement
it's actually FAR more than that: 2.8 TRILLION fish alone!

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#13 Old 06-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiteSizeVegan View Post
it's actually FAR more than that: 2.8 TRILLION fish alone!
Oh no that's even worse

Tragic

(I will re-watch this video...Sometimes I can't watch whole videos as I lose signal if I am out somewhere )
#14 Old 06-20-2015, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
Oh no that's even worse

Tragic

(I will re-watch this video...Sometimes I can't watch whole videos as I lose signal if I am out somewhere )
no worries! it's one of my longer ones.

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page