What Do You Think About This Idea? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I want to get your thoughts and ideas on this.

My idea to help save some poor chickens from a life of suffering and ending up as perdue chik fila chicken tenders, is if I can adopt 2-3 chicks every time my dad gets a new litter. (This is about once a month or so) I can place an add in the local newspaper advertising free yard companions. The only problem is, how can I make my listing demand that these chickens not be grown to be eaten, or should I just allow them a good home/yard whether they get eaten or not as adult birds? What are your thoughts and ideas on how I should do this? Thanks so much-you guys are always so helpful ~Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-20-2004, 11:22 AM

I think you might have your hands full. And, there's really no way to be certain that they little birds won't end up as dinner. I think, if I were you, that I would focus my efforts on getting your dad to stop breeding chickens for Purdue (excuse me if I'm wrong, but that's how I interpretted your post).

The Rev
#3 Old 07-20-2004, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't adopt animals straight from a farm... That would just result in even more animals being bred to replace the adopted ones.

I'd suggest working with Farm Sanctuary or groups that find homes for animals that have been saved from farms that have been shut down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Although your idea is certainly pure at heart, I don't think it would be best. It sounds to me like it will just bring more chickens into the world.
#5 Old 07-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Same thing as the lobster rescue. It's a wonderful idea, but in the end it just causes more demand for the poor animals.
#6 Old 07-20-2004, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I hadn't thought of it that way.

I guess you guys are right. I will write the farm sanctuary and see if they have any ideas about converting the farms from perdue. Thanks~Amanda
#7 Old 07-20-2004, 04:05 PM

Sounds like what happens when one buys from a petstore. The IDEA is great but the reality is that your Dad will just start getting a few more chicks each time...
#8 Old 07-20-2004, 04:32 PM

you know. it seemed like a good idea until i thought about those damn angsty chickens who cross the road. Maybe just post an AR ad about the negatives of chicken and meat consumption, but i doubt it would get run...sometimes newsies are mean like that. Good luck, chick.

~Glamboy (does this beak make me look fat?)
#9 Old 07-21-2004, 04:10 AM

I doubt there's much market for companion chickens, Tom Smothers notwithstanding.

Keep them in the yard and I'll bet your dad would begin eyeing them covetously as their numbers increased.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page