Great post I would like to share on the emotional toll of dog chaining on humans - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 03-05-2015, 12:57 AM
Beginner

Great post I would like to share on the emotional toll of dog chaining on humans

I just wanted to share this wonderful post I have read on an animal welfare group site. I think anybody that has ever lived around those that chain/tether or pen their dogs or even any form of animal cruelty would be able to relate to this post by the founder of Dogs Deserve Better.

I would love to know what others think about this post?? I feel it is so spot on on how I feel living in a community that has no anti-tethering laws.

https://ofdogsandchains.wordpress.co...d-in-the-cold/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2015, 01:01 AM
Beginner

If you have not done so already, when you are finished reading this, would you please consider signing and sharing this petition to end dog tethering in South Carolina...thanks

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/812/5...214&cid=fb_na#
#3 Old 03-05-2015, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I was going to sign the petition but it requires one to share their address and I am not comfortable with that for safety reasons unless I know it is not going to be made public.

I do agree with the article and it really saddens and angers me why anyone would choose to have a dog or other animal and then do nothing but keep them chained up outside all the time, even at night.

On the other-hand, there are times when people do have to chain their dogs outside for a short time. We do not have a fully fenced in yard (and can't yet afford one) and can not let our dog run all over the neighborhood. She is well trained and we let her out when we are there with her supervising and she stays around. In the summer (never when its cold) my husband works in his woodshop out in the garage and will have our dog on a long chain in the yard right by the shop area so he can still watch her and she can still come in and visit him if she chooses or lay out in the sun etc. But she is indeed on a chain for a few hours. I would hope this wouldn't be an issue with anyone. We can't keep her indoors all the time. Every single day my husband brings our dog to a park or the beach or somewhere where she can run freely and get exercise. He is very very devoted to her and she is really his dog, though I help feed and care for her when I can with my schedule.

I also wish more places were dog friendly. A few years ago we ran into an issue traveling with our dog. We stayed in a motel but they do not allow dogs to be left alone there (for good reason). We were in a big city for an outdoor event (that thankfully allowed our dog to participate) but we wanted to go into some stores and check them out. It was a very very hot day. No way would we leave our dog in the car, but she was not allowed in any of the buildings. So I went in first to visit a store and my husband walked our dog around, then he went in and I stayed with her outside. We could not eat out at all and thankfully brought food along. But it can be very difficult to travel with a companion animal. You can't leave them in a vehicle but you can't bring them inside most places like you can a child. They don't have the same rights. I wish they did. We are traveling in a few weeks and decided to leave our dog with relatives so we do not run into this issue again (with the severe cold). I will miss bringing Sable with us and wish she could share our experience but there is little support and help for traveling with a dog. I'd like to see more of that too. More places willing to accommodate animals, and people with compassion and care enough to help a person and their companion animal in need. People lose jobs, or end up injured or with health issues and it has a profound effect on the animals that live with them. They should not be condemned but there needs to be a plan in place so that the animal does not suffer so terribly when tragedy or hard times hit.

There is a lot to consider with keeping a companion animal. They are not cute fuzzy creatures there for our entertainment that's for sure. They have basic needs and rights just like we do. I'm glad there are groups out there vocalizing this and doing something about the cruelties to dogs.

When I was a teenager, we moved into a run down apartment over a garage. Though my Mom had just earned her PhD, she had trouble finding work (over or under qualified for everything) so it was tough times. I slept in a sleeping bag for a year with no bedroom. At any rate, our adjacent neighbors had a dog named Rusty they kept in a tiny cage all day and night. She was a little cocker spaniel. The cage was muddy, no grass, and often she did not even have water. I would aim the hose for her water bucket and fill it daily, and slip her food through the fence. I figured out how to open the corner of the fence where the post was and figured out how to get in her cage, and i brought her to our yard where I let her run around and fed her and groomed her. she had so many mats we had to shave her as it was impossible to cut them all out. The owner was rarely ever around and didn't care. He did not respond when anyone knocked on his door. I was only 17 so I never confronted him, but my Mom and a few neighbors did. Rusty used to growl at me when we first moved there. she was afraid of everything, including our own dog. But with lots of talking to her and showing her care and compassion she warmed up to us. A year later I moved away to college and Mom said one day Rusty disappeared. I never saw her again. But I will never forget that dog. She was so sweet. Deserved so much more than that little pen. I don't understand the point of keeping a dog in a pen like that all day and night.
leedsveg and Johnsally like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Naturebound; 03-05-2015 at 02:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-06-2015, 11:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I was going to sign the petition but it requires one to share their address and I am not comfortable with that for safety reasons unless I know it is not going to be made public.

I do agree with the article and it really saddens and angers me why anyone would choose to have a dog or other animal and then do nothing but keep them chained up outside all the time, even at night.

On the other-hand, there are times when people do have to chain their dogs outside for a short time. We do not have a fully fenced in yard (and can't yet afford one) and can not let our dog run all over the neighborhood. She is well trained and we let her out when we are there with her supervising and she stays around. In the summer (never when its cold) my husband works in his woodshop out in the garage and will have our dog on a long chain in the yard right by the shop area so he can still watch her and she can still come in and visit him if she chooses or lay out in the sun etc. But she is indeed on a chain for a few hours. I would hope this wouldn't be an issue with anyone. We can't keep her indoors all the time. Every single day my husband brings our dog to a park or the beach or somewhere where she can run freely and get exercise. He is very very devoted to her and she is really his dog, though I help feed and care for her when I can with my schedule.

I also wish more places were dog friendly. A few years ago we ran into an issue traveling with our dog. We stayed in a motel but they do not allow dogs to be left alone there (for good reason). We were in a big city for an outdoor event (that thankfully allowed our dog to participate) but we wanted to go into some stores and check them out. It was a very very hot day. No way would we leave our dog in the car, but she was not allowed in any of the buildings. So I went in first to visit a store and my husband walked our dog around, then he went in and I stayed with her outside. We could not eat out at all and thankfully brought food along. But it can be very difficult to travel with a companion animal. You can't leave them in a vehicle but you can't bring them inside most places like you can a child. They don't have the same rights. I wish they did. We are traveling in a few weeks and decided to leave our dog with relatives so we do not run into this issue again (with the severe cold). I will miss bringing Sable with us and wish she could share our experience but there is little support and help for traveling with a dog. I'd like to see more of that too. More places willing to accommodate animals, and people with compassion and care enough to help a person and their companion animal in need. People lose jobs, or end up injured or with health issues and it has a profound effect on the animals that live with them. They should not be condemned but there needs to be a plan in place so that the animal does not suffer so terribly when tragedy or hard times hit.

There is a lot to consider with keeping a companion animal. They are not cute fuzzy creatures there for our entertainment that's for sure. They have basic needs and rights just like we do. I'm glad there are groups out there vocalizing this and doing something about the cruelties to dogs.

When I was a teenager, we moved into a run down apartment over a garage. Though my Mom had just earned her PhD, she had trouble finding work (over or under qualified for everything) so it was tough times. I slept in a sleeping bag for a year with no bedroom. At any rate, our adjacent neighbors had a dog named Rusty they kept in a tiny cage all day and night. She was a little cocker spaniel. The cage was muddy, no grass, and often she did not even have water. I would aim the hose for her water bucket and fill it daily, and slip her food through the fence. I figured out how to open the corner of the fence where the post was and figured out how to get in her cage, and i brought her to our yard where I let her run around and fed her and groomed her. she had so many mats we had to shave her as it was impossible to cut them all out. The owner was rarely ever around and didn't care. He did not respond when anyone knocked on his door. I was only 17 so I never confronted him, but my Mom and a few neighbors did. Rusty used to growl at me when we first moved there. she was afraid of everything, including our own dog. But with lots of talking to her and showing her care and compassion she warmed up to us. A year later I moved away to college and Mom said one day Rusty disappeared. I never saw her again. But I will never forget that dog. She was so sweet. Deserved so much more than that little pen. I don't understand the point of keeping a dog in a pen like that all day and night.

Great post Naturebound! Thank for taking the time to read the post and respond.=) You and people like yourself are heros in my eyes! What you did for that dog was so wonderful!! and you should be commended for it! More people need to step up as you did but so many want to but are afraid! Most people do not want to see dogs chained/tethered or penned but yet the laws in the US do not seem to reflect most peoples views. They seem to side with the minority (such as hunters, breeders, etc) because they are a small but very vocal group.

I dont think anybody would have an issue with temporarily chaining or penning a dog..I do that too sometimes myself for a short time in the front yard because there is no fence in the front yard. The problem is when people do this 24/7 with little to no human interaction. This is just plain flat out abuse to a dog that craves to be with their pack by nature and not so pleasant for those of us who are forced to watch this abuse take place with little to no ways to really help available. Something needs to change.

I also agree with your feelings on the need for more companion friendly establishments. It does make it so difficult for those that need to travel with their animals.

Anyway, thanks again for the interesting post and taking the time to express your feelings on the topic. =)
#5 Old 06-18-2015, 06:19 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsally View Post
If you have not done so already, when you are finished reading this, would you please consider signing and sharing this petition to end dog tethering in South Carolina...thanks

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/812/5...214&cid=fb_na#
Signed
#6 Old 06-24-2015, 05:34 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
Signed

Thanks so much Go Vegan!=)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page