View Poll Results: Do you fish?
fish, and keep the fish 0 0%
fish, but let the fish go 0 0%
never, ever fish 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Just curious to see how other vegans/vegetarians feel about fishing!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-05-2004, 05:48 PM

I think it is horrible.

I think it is similar to yanking someone out of their living room with a hook attached to their cheek, dragging them across their lawn, through a few streets and then ripping the hook out of their mouth.

Not to mention the savage manner the live "bait" is treated if someone chooses to use that.
#3 Old 06-06-2004, 04:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's terrible, and it's terrible to think that most people just think of fishing as "a relaxing sport" and don't stop to think how "relaxing" it is for the poor fish who suffer, even if they're thrown back they still suffer and still die from stress, shock and damage to the brain from the dramatic and sudden change in pressure from being pulled out of the water so quickly, I'm completly against any type of fishing, and don't even get me started on people who use live fish as bait!

Stay Beautiful,

Aissa.

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

/Agrees

Personally I'm more opposed to someone just yanking them out and throwing them back in than I am to someone fishing for food. At least then there's a reason behind your torture.
#5 Old 06-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Beginner

I caught a fish once, and it was probably one of the most horrible experiences I've ever been through. In the are where I was fishing (on our farm), I've only known one or two people to catch something, so I was not expecting the fish to actually bite. But he did, and he was terrified. I coudn't get the hook out of his mouth so I had to run him to my uncle who took it out and released him back into the river. I'm just glad that he lived!

Fish was the first thing I gave up when turning veg.
#6 Old 06-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh.

A few days ago me and the dogs walked to the river for a swim. It's an area where lots of fishermen get permits and can fish.

I found a bit of fishing tackle left behind - it was horrible! It was a fake plastic fish, with the goggly eyes and everything. But the worst thing was the huge, spikey hooks attached to it. They were really wide and sharp and I thought... UGH. That would hurt so much to peirce your lip on.
#7 Old 06-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I think it is horrible.

I think it is similar to yanking someone out of their living room with a hook attached to their cheek, dragging them across their lawn, through a few streets and then ripping the hook out of their mouth.

Not to mention the savage manner the live "bait" is treated if someone chooses to use that.

Agree

Quote:
I think it's terrible, and it's terrible to think that most people just think of fishing as "a relaxing sport" and don't stop to think how "relaxing" it is for the poor fish who suffer, even if they're thrown back they still suffer and still die from stress, shock and damage to the brain from the dramatic and sudden change in pressure from being pulled out of the water so quickly, I'm completly against any type of fishing, and don't even get me started on people who use live fish as bait!

Agree

Quote:
Personally I'm more opposed to someone just yanking them out and throwing them back in than I am to someone fishing for food. At least then there's a reason behind your torture.

Agree

This is another thing that upsets me about my family. Hunting and fishing are big in Wisconsin.
#8 Old 06-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Banned

i am in no way a vegan, i do indulge in the delights of meat. but don't discredit me for that.

i posted to say how irrational your logic is on this point. how could you think that fishing is cruel and unusual? it keeps people fed! and if you'd like to use the point that the fish are being hurt and have feelings and all the crap, let me explain something. a fish's brain is smaller than a peanut! it doesn't experience emotion as we do and when it's hooked in the lip, it feels no pain. why? because there are no nerves in the area around a fish's mouth. you're saying things like, "i find it appaling that people fish and find it relaxing," when you've probably never tried yourself and even if you did, did it with a closed mind. sitting on a lake with a rod and a reel and watching the rhythmic pattern of the waves is soothing beyond all imagination. one more thing, i wasn't fortunate enough to grow up in a family where we could afford to go to the produce stand and buy top grade vegetables and things like that. i lived in a town called Dickson, Tennessee for 7 years of my life, and if it weren't for fishing, my 2 siblings and i would've probably starved to death. we caught fish and we ate them and they were good.

so stop being so closed minded and saying people are horrible for fishing. not only is it a food source and a source of entertainment, but is in no way a shortage of fish in the waters of the world. they'll be here as long as you are and as long as you're here poeple will eat them. so get used to it.

i didn't mean to step on anyone's toes with that but i feel strongly about this topic. and while i respect your right to be a vegetarian/vegan, i think it's utterly idiotic. so don't post back and say anything along the lines of, "you're a killer! those poor innocent fish...etc. etc.,"
#9 Old 06-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Banned

it's so wrong how you deleted that dude's post. he had a valid point and was expressing his opinion, unlike you people who are going with the crowd and posting whatever the thread was originally on. way to be objective on a subject.

for anyone who doesn't know what this post was about, a guy with the username [email protected] had an entry on this thread that expressed his views. his views were completely against vegetarianism and veganism, but reguardless of that, his post wasn't against any "policies" or "rules," and yet his post was deleted because it wasn't in line with the thread's opinion.
#10 Old 06-07-2004, 12:33 AM
Administrator

We delete any opinions that we don't agree with. And ban anyone who criticizes us. I guess I'll let you decide which category you fall under.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 06-07-2004, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Actually, his membership was against our rules. But, you wouldn't know that unless you read them, would you?

Oh, wait. You wouldn't know that because you've been banned. Troll.

Not to mention your troll friend's post contained falsehoods as well. *sigh*
#12 Old 06-07-2004, 12:50 AM
Banned

A couple things...

Quote:
We delete any opinions that we don't agree with. And ban anyone who criticizes us.

Why would you do that?

And secondly, can I get a link to the rules so that I can be sure to stay within the boundaries?
#13 Old 06-07-2004, 12:50 AM
Administrator

And by the way, we know you're the same person. Obviously if you had friends you'd have something better to do and wouldn't refer to yourself as "that dude."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#14 Old 06-07-2004, 12:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post

A couple things...

Why would you do that?

And secondly, can I get a link to the rules so that I can be sure to stay within the boundaries?

You're not within the rules, trust me. And we do that because we're vegetarians. We're closed-minded and judgemental.

#15 Old 06-07-2004, 12:55 AM
Veggie Regular

#16 Old 06-07-2004, 03:21 AM
Veggie Regular

And idiotic, to boot...
#17 Old 06-07-2004, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I am a "vegetarian" but I still fish and eat fish. My views are against factory farming and therefor I see nothign wrong with fishing. I keep fish every now and then. I havent kept any fish in the last month. I fish because I find it to be fun and relaxing and not against my morals.
#18 Old 06-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarians do not eat fish. You are a pescatarian.
#19 Old 06-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah but most poeple dont know what that is
#20 Old 06-07-2004, 08:15 AM

Explain it to them next time they ask when you tell people you are a Pesco. Welcome to the boards by the way.
#21 Old 06-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Well since we are on the subject. I dont eat all seafood. Only the fish that I catch or an rare circumstances ill eat other seafood as long as I am positive it did not come off a farm.
#22 Old 06-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

This thread, is um, interesting. One of the things we decided to never do again when we went veggie was fish. My husband used to and my boys had expressed interest in it. But we explained to them (in a nice way) what was happening and they lost all interest. The 5yo even asked me to turn off little bear the other day cause they were fishing.
#23 Old 06-07-2004, 11:12 AM
Banned

You guys are out of your minds

A message from Tame:

You're a little troll trick, short and stout,

and you joined VB just to spout

when you find that you're banned hear you shout!

So keep us posted, thanks for coming out!
#24 Old 06-07-2004, 11:21 AM

Um, yeah. Like we wouldn't be smart enough to figure out your user name. Duh. .

Why the influx of a-holes all of a sudden? Must be nothing to do in their part of the world.

Anyhow, carry on.
#25 Old 06-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I think people feel the least connection with fish because they look like us the least. All evidence I've seen indicates that they can suffer just as much. So, they fall under my umbrella of "Won't eat that!"
#26 Old 06-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schmeebis View Post

I think people feel the least connection with fish because they look like us the least.

That and the fact that they don't make any noise or have any facial expressions. If you kick a dog, or a cat, or a cow, or a pig, or whatever you can tell that it's having an adverse reaction to the stimulus.

You would think the flopping around and gasping for air would be enough but it's like cows or pigs or anything else, if people want to do it they'll find the justification for it.

#27 Old 06-07-2004, 12:54 PM

Here's a weird thought. When I first went vegetarian, I thought that it was o.k. to eat fish because Jesus fed the masses with it. Of course, I don't think that way now, but maybe some others do?
#28 Old 06-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

Here's a weird thought. When I first went vegetarian, I thought that it was o.k. to eat fish because Jesus fed the masses with it. Of course, I don't think that way now, but maybe some others do?

That is possible, perhaps. Though, most of the people I interact with on a regular basis are non-religious, though many of them are pescatarians. You might be able to argue that being raised in a Western Christian society might have had that effect on them, but I don't think you could go too far with that. I dunno..
#29 Old 06-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

That and the fact that they don't make any noise or have any facial expressions. If you kick a dog, or a cat, or a cow, or a pig, or whatever you can tell that it's having an adverse reaction to the stimulus.

You would think the flopping around and gasping for air would be enough but it's like cows or pigs or anything else, if people want to do it they'll find the justification for it.

Yeah. Apperance is different, way of expressing pain is different. We are, after all, a society that tends to base things around intelligence and human-like behavior; No one would eat the parrot with a 900-word vocabulary.
#30 Old 06-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I still think most people have the whole "no meat but fish is ok" catholic thing attached to vegetarians.

It is quite the day for trolls, isn't it? I didn't see that in the forecast!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page