View Poll Results: Do you fish?
fish, and keep the fish 0 0%
fish, but let the fish go 0 0%
never, ever fish 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 06-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Banned

I am a 30ish mother of three, was raised to fish, and my husband and I take our kids fishing at least once a week. Have a huge pond in my backyard, and go out on the river regularly, as well. This thread contains some of the most ridiculous statements Ive ever heard. To those of you who dont understand the sport of fishing, you obviously have never held a rod with a monster fish at the other end, the allure of outmaneuvering the fish to land the critter, as he thrashes, twists and jumps to free himself of your hook, as he so often does. That is the sport, my friend. The fish usually wins. Even a good fisherman will have more that got away than was caught. Not to mention the sport, fishing has provided many high protein meals for my family. They taste great, anyway you cook them. And the look on the kids faces as they pull in their fish is priceless. Sure, any small kid can be scared away from fishing with horror stories.

To those who just cant stand the thought of the poor fish suffering, please get over it. Fish has sustained man from the beginning of time. We are at the top of the food chain people. Enjoy that privilege within reason! What makes you think that every time a soybean crop is harvested, that those plants dont cry out in pain as their fruit is jerked away from their branches?!? Think about that the next time you sink your teeth into a nice crunchy stalk of celery. Some knife had to cut it from its root! Do you think it did not feel pain? Or loss? Or shock? Who is one individual or species to know or think what another feels? Everything that we eat has been alive at some point, and must be killed to be eaten, plants included. Do you not feel guilty when you take the life of a plant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 06-21-2004, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

sigh.

Hey, maybe I'll put a hook on the end of a string & drag it around the living room to see how long it takes to "land" my cat! I can then watch it thrash around, trying to free itself from my barbed hook! What a rush!

What a great sport! Sounds like fun!

Trolls.
#63 Old 06-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjuly15 View Post

I am a 30ish mother of three, was raised to fish, and my husband and I take our kids fishing at least once a week. Have a huge pond in my backyard, and go out on the river regularly, as well. This thread contains some of the most ridiculous statements Ive ever heard. ?

Apparently you took it as a personal challenge to out-do those statements...

Quote:

To those of you who dont understand the sport of fishing, you obviously have never held a rod with a monster fish at the other end, the allure of outmaneuvering the fish to land the critter, as he thrashes, twists and jumps to free himself of your hook, as he so often does. That is the sport, my friend. The fish usually wins. Even a good fisherman will have more that got away than was caught. Not to mention the sport, fishing has provided many high protein meals for my family. They taste great, anyway you cook them. And the look on the kids faces as they pull in their fish is priceless. Sure, any small kid can be scared away from fishing with horror stories.?

I haven't had a "monster" fish at the other end, no. I think the biggest was a 3 lb bass. It was a long time ago. It was fun at the time.

Quote:

To those who just cant stand the thought of the poor fish suffering, please get over it. Fish has sustained man from the beginning of time. We are at the top of the food chain people. Enjoy that privilege within reason!

Within reason?... Do you mean kill them, but not too much?

I enjoy the privelege of not being preyed upon by anything else- that's quite cool. I suppose fish suffer when they're swallowed by bigger fish, too. I choose not to be one more predator they have to deal with- that's all.

Quote:

What makes you think that every time a soybean crop is harvested, that those plants dont cry out in pain as their fruit is jerked away from their branches?!? Think about that the next time you sink your teeth into a nice crunchy stalk of celery. Some knife had to cut it from its root! Do you think it did not feel pain? Or loss? Or shock? Who is one individual or species to know or think what another feels? Everything that we eat has been alive at some point, and must be killed to be eaten, plants included. Do you not feel guilty when you take the life of a plant?

Because plants don't have sensory organs or nervous systems- that's what makes me think that.

I don't feel guilty about eating plants. But I do avoid wasting anything.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 08-05-2004, 12:37 AM
Beginner

The murder or torture of any being simply for taste, sport, or under the guise of tradition is obscene. Period. Need to bond? Have some beer. Or choose from one of a million other activities that doesn't involve death or dismemberment.
#65 Old 08-05-2004, 01:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I never have and never will
#66 Old 08-05-2004, 02:38 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post

The murder or torture of any being simply for taste, sport, or under the guise of tradition is obscene. Period. Need to bond? Have some beer. Or choose from one of a million other activities that doesn't involve death or dismemberment.

Daaaaaang, you tell 'em! I agree whole-heartedly!
#67 Old 08-05-2004, 03:15 AM
Banned

I fished 3 times in my whole life, and that was with my Grandfather. The last time I fished was 32 years ago. We never fished and released. We fished, he fried, we talked and laughed together. What made me a non fish person was about 20 years ago my husband brought home an aquarium. We added beautiful gold fish. I got attached to them. I gave them every thing a fish needs to be "happy and healthy". But when they died of a disease, I cried as each one died. Their deaths appeared to be very painful to the fish. I swore no more. I am against any kind of fishing. I still remember their dying process just like it was yesterday. Horrible.
#68 Old 08-05-2004, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Well, I think there are different qualities and capabilities related to hunting and angling and to normal omnivorism. Omnivorism, at least in my case, consisted in wrong information and an incapability to question the value that meat-eating is "the way it's supposed to be" (). Hunting and angling requires you to personally and directly kill a sentient being, to be able to see it suffer and die. Now, I can ask, what kind of person is able to have no problem with doing that (i.e. being able to kill in cold blood)? I think it tells a lot about one as a person that one has that "capability". When I compare that capability to lack of information, or to hypocrisy, or to an inability to move beyond tradition and social norms, the former is always far worse than the latter, even though neither of them is good.

And I have never fished, never will.
#69 Old 08-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

For those who still think the label "free range" is any assurance of good treatment (per the earlier post on this thread), please read the following from Compassion Over Killing (cok):

http://www.cok.net/lit/freerange.php

The label is misleading in terms of its actual meaning, not to mention same transport and slaughter as any factory farmed animal.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#70 Old 08-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

this is one of the reasons i disrespect my stepfather, he's been vegan for many many years and now is vegetarian

but he loves fishing .... like he has no feelings for animals whatsoever .... *sigh*
#71 Old 08-05-2004, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post

i agree. i don't fish and i don't eat fish. there simply is no "reason" to eat animals
#72 Old 08-05-2004, 01:55 PM

I used to fish all the time. Then, one day when I was walking on the beach, This ham sandwich just shoots out of the water and lands at my feet. Well, I didn't realize that there was a big steel hook in it until I'd already taken a bite. I tried with all my strength, but clawing at sand was no match for the pull of the line attached to the sandwich. Closer and closer the water came, and I knew I would drown if I were pulled under.

Luckily, the hook ripped through my lip at the last second, and I was saved. Just a few stitches at the ER and some antibiotics for the infection. Needless to say, I stay away from large water sources now.

The Rev
#73 Old 08-05-2004, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Hunting and angling requires you to personally and directly kill a sentient being, to be able to see it suffer and die.

Although I don't personally agree with either, when considering sentient beings, it is much better to eat a cow than it is to eat chickens, and most fish and seafood.

It would take the life of, say...

20 shrimp to equal 1 trout

2-3 trouts to equal 1 chicken

5 chickens to equal 1 pig

5 pigs to equal 1 cow...

to feed the same number of people.

So in theory, it would be less cruel to eat beef than it is to eat fish or chicken, as so many "little" lives would be spared.

But it takes no lives to eat tofu!
#74 Old 08-08-2004, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopiebear View Post

...when considering sentient beings, it is much better to eat a cow than it is to eat chickens, and most fish and seafood.

....But it takes no lives to eat tofu!

What are you, Buddhist?!

Great!

I bet Jonah would really connect with that.

Word.

Veggie Jesus.
#75 Old 08-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Mostly for table fare.

I use to fish for the "big ones" but about 20 or so years ago I've changed that to the smaller fish. They are better table fare anyway and if I do happen to catch a larger fish, I'll let it go. First of all it's better for the fish stocks. That older larger fish will pack a significantly larger number of eggs come spawning time which is better for the population. Secondly the smaller ones taste better and are more tender.

Jeffer
#76 Old 08-08-2004, 06:24 PM

I just skimmed this thread, so I'm not sure if anyone has discussed the environmental impact of fishing as well. I'm not all that educated on what it does, so does anyone have any links that discuss it?
#77 Old 08-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I've fished before when I was younger. I could never put the worm on the hook or get the fish on the hook to throw it back. We always threw back our fish because they were tiny and I didn't eat fish because I didn't like the taste.
#78 Old 08-08-2004, 07:44 PM

I voted fish and keep them. I haven't fished in a least a decade, but I would do it if I had to. For example, if I go back camping for more then 3 days, I get a fishing license and bring a few hooks and line. I've never needed to fish when camping, but I would rather do that then have my food supplies somehow ruined, be a 5 day walk from town and have nothing to eat but twigs, grass, and berries.
#79 Old 08-08-2004, 07:49 PM

Never fished, never will. The closest I've gotten to it is sitting with my grandpa when I was little in an ice shack while he ice fished.
#80 Old 08-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey086 View Post

Just curious to see how other vegans/vegetarians feel about fishing!!

This question was intended for veg*ns... deleting non-veg*n posts now.

ETA: Please let me know if I've missed any posts that ought to be deleted.

Thanks.
#81 Old 08-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

This question was intended for veg*ns... deleting non-veg*n posts now.

ETA: Please let me know if I've missed any posts that ought to be deleted.

Thanks.

There are a couple from non-veg*n MikeyVT.
#82 Old 08-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, that was a can of worms. Didn't look at the older posts, so I missed this before. Lotta work! Hope no one's too terribly offended. The original post did direct the questions toward veg*ns, so it's better that I apply the "clean-up" fairly.
#83 Old 08-08-2004, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I fished when I was really little, but I was never a big fan of it. I've always hated the taste of fish anyway, it smells bad, and it's just overall not very fun, IMHO. Plus, of course, I now have moral objections to it.
#84 Old 08-09-2004, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopiebear View Post

Although I don't personally agree with either, when considering sentient beings, it is much better to eat a cow than it is to eat chickens, and most fish and seafood.

It would take the life of, say...

20 shrimp to equal 1 trout

2-3 trouts to equal 1 chicken

5 chickens to equal 1 pig

5 pigs to equal 1 cow...

to feed the same number of people.

So in theory, it would be less cruel to eat beef than it is to eat fish or chicken, as so many "little" lives would be spared.

But it takes no lives to eat tofu!

That's quite a theory, but I definitely disagree... a life is a life, it doesn't matter what species the animal is.

As for fishing, it used to be one of my favorite things to do whenever I'd be around the ocean. I really enjoyed it. I don't know why I enjoyed it, but probably was just because fish was my favorite meat. Now I look back and I regret every time I did it. It's painful and totally unnecessary, so I'm very much against it now.
#85 Old 08-09-2004, 03:41 AM
Beginner

When I was 10, a year after I became vegetarian, I was on holiday at a beach town. Family friends were there and being the "petrified of saying anything to anyone" kind of person I was back then I really couldn't tell them no when they asked me to go fishing.

Now, I was under the impression that they knew I was vegetarian and we would be throwing the fish back. I, myself, was under the impression that a fish could live if you took the hook out and threw it back but was pleased to see we would only be fishing with a reel of fishing line with bait tied on the end.

Anyway, after awhile I got a bite and reeled thefish in, only for it to be taken by the father of the group, gutted, and handed to me to take home to eat. I was so traumatised and I cried and cried. I had a little gathering with my family and burried it in the back yard of the house we were staying in.

Anyway, that's my only ever experience with fishing and it still makes me cry thinking about it. Fishing is just as barbaric as hunting and it really sickens me that people could take pleasure in it.

EDIT: I too agree that hunting for one's own food is a lot better than buying it from a shop. I think people who hunt for their own food would be less likely to waste it all too because it takes a lot more effort to kill, transport, gut, cook than it does to lay down some cash and chuck it on the grill.
#86 Old 08-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you, epski -- that was good of you.

I fished a few times when I was a kid, and went crabbing and clamming. I very much regret it now. I can see now that my inner reaction was horror, but that I squashed that reaction down... it was a family activity and discord is verboten in my family. There is no way they could pressure me into it now. My mom likes to fish, but she hasn't done it when I'm visiting her. She probably wants to avoid the fuss I would kick up.

Rev -- loved your story.
#87 Old 08-09-2004, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDever View Post

That's quite a theory, but I definitely disagree... a life is a life, it doesn't matter what species the animal is.

I was speaking in terms of sentient beings.

Some people I've met who say that they're vegetarian, but then follow it with a but... "I only eat fish" or "I only eat chicken" seem to feel justified and moral in their choice of food.

I would prefer that they don't claim that their vegetarian at all. Why would they think it's more moral and just to eat a chicken than a cow? If they want to continue eating meat and not feel so guilty about it, then it would be better for them, based on my post, to eat a cow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page