ALF What do you think? - Page 6 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Do you Suppor the Animal Liberation Front?
ALF is the Shizzle! 0 0%
ALF pretty darn cool 0 0%
I'd rather them not be doing what they do.. 0 0%
ICK! ALF is no the Shizzle! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#151 Old 08-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Beginner

Your website doesn't work for me. I'm using Safari on a Mac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 08-17-2004, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

ALF is horrible and gives the animal rights movement a bad name and image. ALF is considered by the FBI to be a terrorist organization. The things they do are totally uncalled for and will do nothing to help the progress of animal rights. It's that type of group that make most people think that animal rights supporters and vegetarians are whacko's. I can't stand ALF, or PETA for that matter. I think they both make us all look like idiots with their ridiculous tactics. They give us a bad image.
#153 Old 08-18-2004, 12:14 AM
Beginner

uglf communique 07 14 04

by Urban Guerrila LIberation Front

uglf lays out a new tactical approach to the struggle

As the forces of oppression and exploitation grow stronger, so must the resistance.

The following communiqué is written for those within the activist community who see that the tactics we have been using are no longer an effective means of change. The following statement is an accurate description of the ineptitude of the current movement, but more importantly it is a call to arms, and a call for revolution among revolutionaries.

2004 - The Movement As It Is Today

It is painfully obvious, after the FTAA protests in Miami and the G8 Summit protests in Northeast Georgia, that the system of oppression has adapted to the conventional means of expressing dissent. If we are to survive as a movement, we too must adapt, and change our tactics.

The revolutionary and activist culture in the U.S. is strong. It has fire in its heart and is well intentioned, but it is outdated. The protest tactics that we use today are the same tactics that have been used since the middle of the 20th century, starting with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement. The government has had time to study how we march, how we protest, and how to nullify what we are trying to say. They have not yet succeeded, but judging by the results of the biggest protests of the last few years, they are close to silencing our dissent.

The main outlet for our cries for justice currently comes in the form of a peaceful, permitted march. Small groups of activists organize large groups of activists and petition the government for a permit. We ask the same government that we are protesting for permission to protest against it. If we are granted this permission, we are sectioned off far away from where we can be heard, then we are watched over by riot police and most of us march peacefully, shout slogans, carry signs, dress in costume. Some of us even do yoga for our cause. Our protests have turned into carnivals. I will not go into a discussion about Seattle in 99 or the governments solution to Seattle in Miami in 2003. I will say that the only way our voices get to the masses is through the commercial media, and that media will not report our voices unless there is violence and arrests. Even then, we are marginalized, made to look like extremist fools, our numbers are dramatically underestimated and the corporate media flat out lies about the events that take place. It is time to accept that the way we protest is not going to illicit change. We are being ignored and thereby silenced.

The activist community is faced with this fact, and a rift is forming among us that separates those who are willing to protest within the limits of the laws and those who are no longer willing to be limited by the laws that are designed to discourage and silence our outrage. Some of us still stay true to what weve been taught and continue to organize our carnivals, but after the G8 in 2004, it is undeniable that carnivals are pointless. Our own people are not even wasting their time to attend. So we can either organize carnivals, as we are doing now, or we can directly confront the oppressors by organizing huge Blocs to try to face this giant head on. I will say that I support, undyingly, anyone who takes part in a Bloc. I will also say that fighting in a Bloc is fighting on the governments terms. We are drastically out-numbered and out-armed.

A new way is emerging.

2004 - The Solution

If we petition the government for a permit to march, it knows where we will be and what we will be doing. It plans on how to deal with us. It estimates numbers, trains its troops, and plans its actions. It studies how to make the protest ineffectual; remember, if the government were willing to allow change, there would be no need to protest.

Our goal, as activists, is to have an effect. The only way that is left for us to achieve our goal is to stop protesting when, where, and how the government wants us to.

Much can be learned from the brave souls who take part in the Earth Liberation Front and the Animal Liberation Front. They are achieving change. It is time to use those ideals in the struggle for social and governmental revolution. The tactics of the ALF and ELF are also being used by the UGLF, the Urban Guerilla Liberation Front.

The time has come to look away from a centralized activist community and look inward to what you are willing to do for the cause of liberty and justice, independently. This fall there will be two significant events, the DNC and the RNC. We can show the strength of the masses by UGLF action across the country. While the world is watching the staged marches in Boston and NYC, we call on you to show affinity by attacking the forces of oppression in your own backyards. As will we.

Activists unite in solidarity with those who go to the cities of these events. Organize into cells for direct action where you are. Take direct action alone. We will no longer jump through their hoops, protest in their pens, or be beaten and arrested by their goons. Operate in stealth and leave your mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#154 Old 08-27-2004, 09:50 AM

http://www.satyamag.com/mar04/index.html I don't support what ALF does.I feel they hurt the movement in the long run.You all might find the articles at this link interesting.There are some pro and some anti violence in the movement. Karen
#155 Old 09-05-2004, 04:19 PM
bad
Veggie Regular

allthough i disagree with "shizzle", because i haven doubts its even a word. then again i suck at spelling gramar ect so you can all ignore this. i fully suport ALF. i luv that they are gettign out their and taking action. writeing letters and going to protest does help and is great but some time direct action is need. i mean if they where your kids or even human kids i'm pretty sure you'd all be grabing your ski mask and rifles or w/e. but then again i'm an extremist so think/belive whatever you whant.
#156 Old 11-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

i support those members of ALF who do not endanger human or animal life. direct action is a must. ppl couldn't give 2 shi*ts about us standing in a corner and holding signs...

i love this http://utminers.utep.edu/best/papers...upport_ALF.htm
#157 Old 11-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

nhnok9inlm ,mnmpk ocn

gksh;ljo0nkplppl-lpkzz
#158 Old 11-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

You're right about being brain stew, Baboon.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#159 Old 11-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Why was this thread bumped with gibberish?
#160 Old 11-11-2004, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Since it was bumped and I never voted...I vote ALF is the shizzle!

As long as NO HUMAN LIVES are endangered.

It also depends on the degree...I don't mind when labs get upturned and animals rescued. Arsoning a building on the other hand....*sigh*
#161 Old 11-11-2004, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that the only people who applaud the efforts of ALF or ELF or any other "eco-terrorist" group are the people who AGREE with them. Everyone else thinks they are just another evil terrorist group to be afraid of.

Ours is a struggle to change people's perspective; to make them give up something that they like and have been taught is perfectly fine to have. It's kind of like trying to make everyone on the planet stop eating cake, or stop listening to rock and roll. I don't think that this can possibly be achieved through committing crimes against the very people we are trying to change.
#162 Old 11-11-2004, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that ALF's purpose is not to change public opinion (let's face it, the public is on again off again about all sorts of stuff) but to ensure that the particular lab or factory farm they raid is not allowed to pick up as normal with their animal expoitation the next week. They want people to second-guess their 'chosen profession' of animal experimentor or factory farmer out of fear of ALF's zoning in on them. They want insurance companies to make labs and farms pay out the nose for their worker's comp, etc., thus deterring the businesses themselves, or at least hitting 'em where it hurts--the wallet. They want to rescue the animals actually who are at this moment being tortured--not waiting around for legislation to eventually move into the 21st century and protecting future-born animals.

And I, for one, applaud them for it, even if I'd be WAY too frightened to creep into someone's lab and trash it.
#163 Old 11-11-2004, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

But why do people exploit animals? Because other people want to eat them/ wear them/ use medicines and products made safe for consumption by them. As long as there is a demand for it, someone will be there to fill it.

I don't see the point in fiddling around with minutae like individual people and relatively miniscule operations. In the big picture, working towards a slow transformation of our society as a whole will have a much more profound effect than heading out with a mask on your face to annoy a farmer. If a pipe breaks in the house and water is squirting everywhere, do you grab a bunch of towels and keep wiping up the water, or do you find the source and turn it off?
#164 Old 11-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

ALF is a bit more and a bit less than that summation.

There is no ALF group really, it is merely a trademark that anyone can use if you abide by a certain set of rules in your direct action activism.

While you may only see in recent times of those raiding fur farms and fast food places, the ALF directive accomplished a great deal in the 1980's to break open the horrendous behavior of animal researchers. If it was not for the ALF direct action (which is usually brought in by whistleblowers by the way), much of the reforms and penalties that exist today would not. The greatest advantage pro animal exploitation has is silence. ALF breaks that silence in the hopes some people will hear.

Some excerpts of ALF's major events are listed here if you are interested:

http://www.nocompromise.org/issues/1...html#beginning

Nice to see you back, I began to wonder if a certain lion had a little extra for lunch one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balabean View Post

But why do people exploit animals? Because other people want to eat them/ wear them/ use medicines and products made safe for consumption by them. As long as there is a demand for it, someone will be there to fill it.

I don't see the point in fiddling around with minutae like individual people and relatively miniscule operations. In the big picture, working towards a slow transformation of our society as a whole will have a much more profound effect than heading out with a mask on your face to annoy a farmer. If a pipe breaks in the house and water is squirting everywhere, do you grab a bunch of towels and keep wiping up the water, or do you find the source and turn it off?

#165 Old 11-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's important to both help individuals AND to work on legislation, like the Underground Railroad during US Civil War times--both are necessary.
#166 Old 11-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Hel
Beginner

i saw this thread and i thought it was going to be people asking wether or not the 80's sitcom ALF was ok, because he ate cats... haha omg i'm an idiot
#167 Old 11-14-2004, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the laugh. I needed that!
#168 Old 11-15-2004, 03:39 PM
bad
Veggie Regular

hehe i don't know i'm assuming since he wasn;t reall and no cats where harmed its all good. lol maybe we should start a thread
#169 Old 11-16-2004, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I think 'ALF's' work is very important..and I have no probelm with the destruction of property.It is similer to many movements,like the underground railroad,womans rights ect..

I wish I had the guts to do such things..I commend them for thier bravery and deep passion and love.

They have my support 100%.
#170 Old 11-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Banned

I believe that certain direct actions that the ALF carry out can have a phenomenal impact. Governments and pharmaceutical companies/animal testing labs, etc are so closely tied in through the economy now that legal protests, lobbying, leafletting, etc do not always have the impact it once did. In fact, the Government and Police 'authorities' are trying to limit the amount of people that can protest at any one event and put restrictions on peoples' legal right to demonstate.

Direct action is sometimes the only solution, but it depends on the action that is taken. I do not agree that people linked with animal abuse should be attacked and/or intimidated in their own homes (this affects their families, children that often do not understand what is going on). However, I do agree with animal liberation (animals being released into the wild if they are able to be look after themselves and not affect the eco-system or otherwise taken to rescue centres) and economic damage to businesses.

Blessings!

Lisa x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page