Sensitive Situation - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 05-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Chrysalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,101
So my next door neighbor has at least 30 cats. It all started off with her saying she couldn't afford to have their one female cat neutered so now...uh...they're stuck feeding I don't even know how many cats, they have just been multiplying! A lot of them are wild and live outside the house, whenever they tried to pick them or box them up to give to the animal shelter, they hissed, bit, scratched through the gloves they wore while handling them. So they just left them alone, and they have been reproducing like crazy...it's gotten to the point where i"m worried. My neighbor feed the wild cats food sometimes but it's not really enough, so the cats hunt their own food. A couple have wandered into our fenced-in backyard (they never used to do that) and were attacked by our dogs. Hey, it's not like our dogs are running loose, and this is our property...the cats are also killing all of the birds and squirrels around our house.



Myself and my family are getting concerned...it gets cold in the winter and we don't know how the cats will survive, and obviously there are more of them every year. They refuse to go in the house. I don't know if there's anything we should do about it or not. Even if we did call animal patrol or whoever it is we should call, it would be really awkward because my best friend of 10 years lives there. I mean what am I supposed to do, rat her mother out? They would both hate me!! And it's not like they mean any harm -- they love animals. I guess they just let the situation get out of control and don't know what to do now. Inside the house there are at least 20 cats. They are fed and housed properly but it still just doesn't seem right. Especially the wild cats. Any suggestions?

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Chrysalis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 05-09-2004, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kpickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 16,090








Well, the best thing would be to sterilize them all. Call Animal Control and get information on spay and neuter programs in your area. With 30+ cats, it's going to cost a lot if you don't have a low-cost spay program. Focusing on neutering the males first would be best. Since they're feral, I wouldn't work on finding them homes. I'd work on trapping them, getting them fixed, and then just release them back where they've been staying. Animal Control would probably loan out traps that you can set up to catch them with. Is there a barn or shed or anywhere you could set up hay and heat lamps during winter? But the most important thing is to get them as many fixed as possible so they don't keep reproducing. Alleycat.org might have useful information. Such a sad situation.
kpickell is offline  
#3 Old 05-10-2004, 01:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
bizarro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,688
are you in the US?



if you are call your local humane society and tell them you need to report animal abuse. they will connect you with a police officer and you can make an TOTALLY ANNONYMOUS complaint. they are neglecting and hording animals, which is a crime. your friends mom will probably not go to jail or pay a fine. all they will do is assume custody of some of the animals.



i should be honest and state the feral cats may be enuthanized and its too bad because this could have been prevented. but they will continue to breed and suffer and spread disease. do something now, its better than never.



also there may be a feral cat association in your state who may trap, sterilize and provide medical treatment to them. they set them free later, but im not sure if they relocate. just search google and see what you come up with.



please keep us updated on the situation and good lick.



heres the oregon state site:



http://www.feralcat.com/

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

bizarro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 05-10-2004, 02:09 AM
Veggie Regular
 
bizarro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,688
oh dear, you are canadian?



i guess you guys have the humane society there too. so the info i posted should be somewhat relevant to you.



again, good luck!

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

bizarro is offline  
#5 Old 05-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Newbie
 
JoLita's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7
I also think the best thing to do would be to contact animal control and make an anonymous complaint. It will just get worse and you need to report it.
JoLita is offline  
#6 Old 05-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Galatea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarro View Post

if you are call your local humane society and tell them you need to report animal abuse. they will connect you with a police officer and you can make an TOTALLY ANNONYMOUS complaint. they are neglecting and hording animals, which is a crime. your friends mom will probably not go to jail or pay a fine. all they will do is assume custody of some of the animals.



I dunno, I wouldn't classify this as hoarding; it sounds more like a situation that simply got out of control, not some sort of mental handicap which I usually associated with hoarders.



It sounds like they are in over their heads - I've actually been in a similar situation and we got it under control by finding a really cheap spay/neuter clinic and taking two cats per month, girls first. The only reason we took so few was because they were packed. I'd suggest looking into something like this and suggesting it to them first - offer to help if you can (even if it's with transportation etc.) Also, see if you can find a no-kill shelter and see if they're willing to give some of the cats up. I don't think you really need to call animal control yet.. but you should certainly try to talk to them very frankly about it.



BTW, I do think animal control will need to deal with the feral cats - if you are curious about trapping them yourself or finding people to help you, thecatsite.com has really good boards dedicated to strays/ferals. Lots of good info there. Good luck!
Galatea is offline  
#7 Old 05-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarro View Post

oh dear, you are canadian?



i guess you guys have the humane society there too. so the info i posted should be somewhat relevant to you.



again, good luck!



If it is in Alberta, she will go to jail and most of the cats will be put down by the SPCA.
GhostUser is offline  
#8 Old 05-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kpickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 16,090
I doubt you're going to find a shelter that will taken in feral cats. I suppose you could try, but I think they'll either turn you away or put them to sleep unless you went through the arduous task of socializing them first.



In the US is isn't illegal to feed wild cats, so she didn't do anything that would get her in trouble. But I don't know what laws they have in Canada.
kpickell is offline  
#9 Old 05-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Newbie
 
karen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 23
If it were me, I would contact all the local charitable animal welfare organizations and see if one of them could help raise money to pay for spaying and neutering these cats and assist with trapping and transporting them. I would be careful to do my research before involving city animal control. Many cities have charitable org that run capture / sterilize / release programs, I think that might be best for your situation.



You might want to talk to your friend's mom and secure her cooperation when you come up with a viable solution. If she cares about the cats and you present yourself in an un-accusing manner, I bet she'll accept the assistance.



Good luck!
karen is offline  
#10 Old 05-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Scorpius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pluto (the planet)
Posts: 6,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

And it's not like they mean any harm -- they love animals. I guess they just let the situation get out of control and don't know what to do now. Inside the house there are at least 20 cats.



Sorry to sound a bit harsh...but if they really loved animals they would of had the first one sterilized!!!!

All of those cats would not exist under such poor living conditions!!!



Like everyone else said...look online for animals wefare groups that will trap the cats and sterilize them all at a clinic if you're lucky. It might be costly (or free, depending on the group who does it)...but ii will be worthi it in the long run....for both the humans and the cats!!!

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"


www.animal-adoptions.org

Scorpius is offline  
#11 Old 05-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Galatea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Sorry to sound a bit harsh...but if they really loved animals they would of had the first one sterilized!!!!

All of those cats would not exist under such poor living conditions!!!



She said they are fed and housed properly. It's not impossible to take care of[0] 20 indoor cats. No one has said they are living in squalor and needing to kill for food or anything (except for the feral cats - I'm not talking about them.)



However, it is very hard to find money to get that many cats fixed. Even if you go to a cheap place, you're looking at, say, $130 for two female cats, and about $80 for two males. That amounts to roughly US$1050. Sounds pretty daunting to me..



BTW, I'm not defending this behavior, but people almost want to attribute it to malice. It's irresponsible, for sure, but I don't think these people are evil - probably just totally overwhelmed and need some help. No one knows what happened when they got the first female cat.



[0] I'm referring to baseline "taking care of" here. This is quite obviously not the ideal situation for the cats to be in - they are certainly not vaccinated, probably have fleas, and are at risk of catching myriad diseases. However, they are being fed, and AFAICT, are not living in a house made of feces. I assume the indoor cats are getting adequate attention as well.
Galatea is offline  
#12 Old 05-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Chrysalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,101
Galatea and Karen: Yeah, I think I probably will try and talk to them about it next time I am over there. I'll do some research, call some people first so then when they say things like "we can't afford it," or, "well what are we supposed to do," I can make some suggestions. Only thing is we live in a small town, I don't know if we even have animal control anywhere near here. The originial female is getting old and prolly won't reproduce much longer, but I guess that won't help too much



and thanks for the defense! The feral cats aren't housed because...well, they won't go near people! Last time I checked the indoor cats seemed okay. A bit scrawny, but not starving to death.



Krista: nope we live in Ontario, but I hadn't even considered the legal aspects of the situation. just don't want them to keep hunting in our backyard only to be killed by our dogs... found a body the other day

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Chrysalis is offline  
#13 Old 05-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Newbie
 
MrDigory's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 9
This is an unfortunate situation, and I don't think there's any easy answer. What ever is done will likely be hard rather than easy. And the longer it's put off, the more difficulty you will have.

Godluck
MrDigory is offline  
#14 Old 05-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular
 
bizarro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

I'll do some research, call some people first so then when they say things like "we can't afford it," or, "well what are we supposed to do," I can make some suggestions. Only thing is we live in a small town, I don't know if we even have animal control anywhere near here.



i hope you can do something now until next spring when there are HUNDREDS more. although maybe you wont notice many more if your dogs keep eating them. they are suffering and spreading disease, im sorry you are left to deal with it because the people responsible are ignorant. im glad you are there, you are probably their only hope.



the ferals must be steralized or enuthanized as well as the house cats. if you cannot trap them you will need help. i wouldnt reccomend trying to trap them again either because cat bites and scratches are so dirty they can make you deathly ill and they could even carry rabies.



i found these in a google search for ontario humane society. i wish i knew more specifically where you are. or you can just look in your phone book for SPCA or humane society. again, please keep us posted and good luck!





here you go:



http://www.ospca.on.ca/



http://www.spca.cambridgeweb.net/



http://www.guelph-humane.on.ca/



http://www.s-dhs.ca/

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

bizarro is offline  
#15 Old 06-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Chrysalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,101
Thanks for the links guys!

Well, I talked to my friend the other day and she brought up the cats again (she brings them up a lot...they piss her off). I asked if they had figured out what to do with them yet and she said it was her moms job..which makes sense I guess, I mean she has university bills to pay and can't exactly pay for neutering.

But anyways, I know that she has been pressuring her mother to neuter the cats because I've heard her. I guess since she's already putting her under pressure, I don't really need to do anything. I might mention the dead cat in our backyard to give her incentive. If nothing has been done by late fall/early winter, my dad might offer to build an outdoor shelter for the cats -- if they are neutered. No point in encouraging them to reproduce right?



Anyways just thought mabye you'd like to know. I'll update later and let you know when the problem has been solved...hopefully that will be soon...

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Chrysalis is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off