Can You LOVE Animals and EAT Them? "Animal-Lover" Hypocrisy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By •Dots•
  • 1 Post By Go Vegan
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 06-15-2014, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular
 
BiteSizeVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 665
Can You LOVE Animals and EAT Them? "Animal-Lover" Hypocrisy

you guys ever meet self-proclaimed animal-lovers who still consume animals? hell i WAS one for a bit back in the day. sometimes it takes a bit of thinking to see the inherent conflict in that position.

we are SO conditioned to see no issue with loving our dogs and cats yet eating our cows, chicken and pigs. what makes this distinction of worthiness other than pure arbitrary tradition?

what do you guys think?


--------
Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BiteSizeVegan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 06-15-2014, 09:11 AM
Newbie
 
Ivanisevicgoran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiteSizeVegan View Post
you guys ever meet self-proclaimed animal-lovers who still consume animals? hell i WAS one for a bit back in the day. sometimes it takes a bit of thinking to see the inherent conflict in that position.

we are SO conditioned to see no issue with loving our dogs and cats yet eating our cows, chicken and pigs. what makes this distinction of worthiness other than pure arbitrary tradition?

what do you guys think?

Why Love One But Eat the Other?

Hi there,

I have actually opened a thread exactly on the same topic and members have expressed some very insightful opinions.

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/25...at-eaters.html

I was very keen to know the opinions of other members because I was born into a vegetarian family so I never had any moral struggles I had to face to convert to vegetarianism and I always was an animal lover. But I really wanted to know the insights of those people who have always been animal lovers and chose to be vegetarians at some point in their lives.

I must say I really commend all these people who were meat eaters before and then converted to vegetarianism as that means they have wrestled those mental battles and emerged with better ethical and moral choices. I have to say this because I myself never had to face those battles as I had the easy way of being born into a vegetarian family.

Strength is Life. Strength is felicity, life eternal, immortal. The only religion that ought to be taught is the religion of strength and fearlessness.
Ivanisevicgoran is offline  
#3 Old 06-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular
 
BiteSizeVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanisevicgoran View Post
Hi there,

I have actually opened a thread exactly on the same topic and members have expressed some very insightful opinions.

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/25...at-eaters.html

I was very keen to know the opinions of other members because I was born into a vegetarian family so I never had any moral struggles I had to face to convert to vegetarianism and I always was an animal lover. But I really wanted to know the insights of those people who have always been animal lovers and chose to be vegetarians at some point in their lives.

I must say I really commend all these people who were meat eaters before and then converted to vegetarianism as that means they have wrestled those mental battles and emerged with better ethical and moral choices. I have to say this because I myself never had to face those battles as I had the easy way of being born into a vegetarian family.
thanks for this. i'll definitely check that thread out i was born into a meat-eating family…my mom says i started to refuse eating meat at age 4 (don't remember that consciously).

but did start to question things as my family was always an "animal-loving" family, but also an animal-product-consuming family...

--------
Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BiteSizeVegan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 06-15-2014, 07:07 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7
I am a new vegitarian-but I have always wanted to be. My parents refused to allow me to not eat meat.

I realized in the last week that I have seriously struggled with eating meat in ways other didn't.

I tried disassociating from the source-and I always was sickened by people who are stuff like whole birds for holidays, or talked about the fact that the "food" was alive.

When that felt unethical-I moved towards buying meat from a local farmer who left calves with the moms, in pasture, and led fairly normal cow life until they slaughtered them themselves and not in a slaughterhouse..

People insisted to me that hunting was the most humane way to eat meat-but there is no way I could do that-which led to to ask if I can't do the "most humane" thing to make my food-is it ethical at all to eat them? Ultimately the answer is no-which leads me here- which while overwhelming at the moment finally feels authentic and honest to myself.

Dina Sorensen likes this.
•Dots• is offline  
#5 Old 06-16-2014, 04:39 AM
Veggie Regular
 
BiteSizeVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by •Dots• View Post
I am a new vegitarian-but I have always wanted to be. My parents refused to allow me to not eat meat.

I realized in the last week that I have seriously struggled with eating meat in ways other didn't.

I tried disassociating from the source-and I always was sickened by people who are stuff like whole birds for holidays, or talked about the fact that the "food" was alive.

When that felt unethical-I moved towards buying meat from a local farmer who left calves with the moms, in pasture, and led fairly normal cow life until they slaughtered them themselves and not in a slaughterhouse..

People insisted to me that hunting was the most humane way to eat meat-but there is no way I could do that-which led to to ask if I can't do the "most humane" thing to make my food-is it ethical at all to eat them? Ultimately the answer is no-which leads me here- which while overwhelming at the moment finally feels authentic and honest to myself.

well welcome Dots. i'm glad you are following your heart and logic

--------
Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BiteSizeVegan is offline  
#6 Old 07-22-2014, 09:12 PM
 
ChildOfEve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: US
Posts: 27
I just became a vegetarian and I think that people can definitely eat meat and still love animals. We had a goat farm and I loved our goats, but we did butcher and eat one. The issue I have is that if I don't have the heart to kill an animal myself to eat it, then I probably shouldn't be eating it if someone else does. I think that is a moral choice and it doesn't mean I love animals any more than people who eat meat do. I think people who eat meat need to consider if they could kill and eat an animal themselves and if not, maybe re-evaluate their food choices. I don't think love comes into play with it. It's just out of sight out of mind. I would be willing to bet most meat eaters could not kill an animal to eat it. I think those that could look an animal in the eye and kill it to eat it probably love them less, but I don't disrespect them for that. We're just different. I couldn't do that.

“You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
ChildOfEve is offline  
#7 Old 07-23-2014, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular
 
BiteSizeVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildOfEve View Post
I just became a vegetarian and I think that people can definitely eat meat and still love animals. We had a goat farm and I loved our goats, but we did butcher and eat one. The issue I have is that if I don't have the heart to kill an animal myself to eat it, then I probably shouldn't be eating it if someone else does. I think that is a moral choice and it doesn't mean I love animals any more than people who eat meat do. I think people who eat meat need to consider if they could kill and eat an animal themselves and if not, maybe re-evaluate their food choices. I don't think love comes into play with it. It's just out of sight out of mind. I would be willing to bet most meat eaters could not kill an animal to eat it. I think those that could look an animal in the eye and kill it to eat it probably love them less, but I don't disrespect them for that. We're just different. I couldn't do that.
i don't know…i think there may be a delusion of love…but how real can you love someone AND kill and eat them? i think it's much easier to think you love them when they are killed by others behind closed doors…but the disconnect still exists.

--------
Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BiteSizeVegan is offline  
#8 Old 01-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Vegan as f**k
 
Go Vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Worthing, England
Posts: 2,228
No way, Jose!
BiteSizeVegan likes this.

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
Go Vegan is offline  
Reply

Tags
animal lover , animal rights , Vegan

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off