Thoughts on the Terms "Humane", "Free-Range", "Cruelty-Free", "Organic" Etc - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By veggiefee

#1 Old 06-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Question Thoughts on the Terms "Humane", "Free-Range", "Cruelty-Free", "Organic" Etc

what do you guys think of these terms? in doing some research and reading on the validity of them, i've found that they don't hold much water…though they do seem to hold a lot of power in our minds as consumers.

now "organic" when it comes to produce, to me, does have validity..but i'm talking more about animal products labelled as organic.

let me know your thought. here's what i found:

--------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Riot Nrrrd

"Free range" and "organic" have specific legal requirements set by the USDA. Which is not to say that they guarantee much (if anything) in the way of animal welfare concerns.

I find that people tend to assume these terms mean more than they do. They are marketing terms and little more.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#3 Old 06-16-2014, 02:51 AM
Beginner

I don't get why the term 'organic' is used. Organic refers to carbon chemistry. Most of the chemicals that disallow calling a food organic are actually organic themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-16-2014, 05:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
"Free range" and "organic" have specific legal requirements set by the USDA. Which is not to say that they guarantee much (if anything) in the way of animal welfare concerns.

I find that people tend to assume these terms mean more than they do. They are marketing terms and little more.
yep..the qualification for chicken to be "free-range" is such that they can be crammed in a barn on top of each other but have a little screened door that shows the outside…and that counts.

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#5 Old 06-16-2014, 10:26 AM

I don't think you can ever kill anything 'humanely'. It's a contradictory term. Like one of your videos I just watched about being an animal lover and still eating meat.

What are people thinking?!
Tom likes this.

“People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” 

#6 Old 06-16-2014, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiefee View Post
I don't think you can ever kill anything 'humanely'. It's a contradictory term. Like one of your videos I just watched about being an animal lover and still eating meat.

What are people thinking?!
right!? i feel the same way...

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#7 Old 06-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm all for there being more 'humane meats', and for meat to be labelled as such, as long as people know exactly what that means.

Unfortunately, as you've pointed out, the labels don't actually mean what people think they do. In some ways, that can be a good thing. Whenever friends ask me where they can get anything with these kinds of labels (because obviously, a vegetarian has researched where to get the best free-range pig! /sigh), it does give me the opportunity to point out the failings of the labelling system and how it's not just 'other' countries that have factory farms hidden under the guise of being good for animals. Then I offer some alternatives, like a veggie roast rather than an animal roast
#8 Old 06-17-2014, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
I'm all for there being more 'humane meats', and for meat to be labelled as such, as long as people know exactly what that means.

Unfortunately, as you've pointed out, the labels don't actually mean what people think they do. In some ways, that can be a good thing. Whenever friends ask me where they can get anything with these kinds of labels (because obviously, a vegetarian has researched where to get the best free-range pig! /sigh), it does give me the opportunity to point out the failings of the labelling system and how it's not just 'other' countries that have factory farms hidden under the guise of being good for animals. Then I offer some alternatives, like a veggie roast rather than an animal roast
that's a great way of leading into the vegan options, Tiger Lilly

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#9 Old 06-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I think they're marketing terms which accomplish little for the animals being marketed.

I don't know... maybe "humane" regulations have accomplished something to make animals' lives and deaths a little easier, but the notion of raising and eventually killing an animal "humanely" (Huh??!!! Say what!!??) to eat him/her makes no sense to me.

As far as "organic" goes, that refers to the food and veterinary care the animals get (no hormones given to them, etc). It does not really address the animals' comfort or happiness.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#10 Old 06-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I think they're marketing terms which accomplish little for the animals being marketed.

I don't know... maybe "humane" regulations have accomplished something to make animals' lives and deaths a little easier, but the notion of raising and eventually killing an animal "humanely" (Huh??!!! Say what!!??) to eat him/her makes no sense to me.

As far as "organic" goes, that refers to the food and veterinary care the animals get (no hormones given to them, etc). It does not really address the animals' comfort or happiness.
absolutely agree. the idea of "humane slaughter" is just insane...

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page