A Very Important message to All Pet Owners *Graphic* - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-20-2013, 10:40 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

http://topworldpost.com/a-very-important-message-to-all-pet-owners/

I already had an idea that this happened because I had a brother who worked at an animal shelter, and while he would never be a vegan and thinks I'm ridiculous for it, he always came home drained and talked about how it was just a holocaust of dogs. He eventually left partly because I don't think he could take it anymore.

But mainly, I linked this post because I thought this part was interesting.

Quote:

Here’s a little euthanasia 101 for those of you that have never witnessed a perfectly healthy, scared animal being “put-down”.

First, your pet will be taken from its kennel on a leash. They always look like they think they are going for a walk happy, wagging their tails. Until they get to “The Room”, every one of them freaks out & puts on the brakes when we get to the door. It must smell like death or they can feel the sad souls that are left in there, it’s strange, but it happens with every one of them.

If this doesn't prove to people that animals aren't freaking oblivious and stupid, I don't know what does. I think anyone would be  terrified when they see just a blank white room. Maybe that sense of fear is intilled in all of us? Like the environment of being devoid flares a danger sign that we will become devoid as well. I'm sure the smell of death and fear plays a role too.

Please, please, share with other flaky people who get animals without thinking or who breed them. It's still beyond me that we are living it 2013 with incredible technology and knowledge, and yet this dumb sh*t is allowed to happen. I'm saving this article to educate people online who ask questions about getting, getting rid of,  or breeding pets. And since I heard it first hand from my brother, it just reaffirms my notion that this is true.

retrospective likes this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Beginner

I liked the article except for this part which bothers me quite a lot

Quote:
 Animal shelters are an easy way out when you get tired of your animal & breeders are the ones blamed for this. Animal shelters & rescue orgs are making a hefty profit by keeping this misconception going.

A hefty profit? Are you freaking kidding me? I know some people think that animal rights groups are rolling in dough but animal shelters, really? Oh yes, they make so much money taking in dogs for free, housing them, giving them vet care such as vaccines and spay/neuter, taking them to events every weekend and then adopting them out for a nominal fee. :brood: 

#3 Old 11-20-2013, 11:35 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Did you miss this part of the article?

Quote:
 If your pet makes it over all of those hurdles, chances are it will get kennel cough or an upper respiratory infection & will be destroyed because the shelter gets paid a fee to euthanize each animal, & making money is better than spending money to take this animal to the vet.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Did you miss this part of the article?

I'm not entirely sure how true that is. To the best of my knowledge they receive money for every animal they adopt as well. Despite this they still aren't making a profit by any means. 

#5 Old 11-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

I have never heard of shelters getting a "fee" for euthanizing animals. I've worked with rescue groups which pay to save animals. Why and who would pay to kill shelter animals? The article doesn't address that all.

We really need much more focus on outlawing most breeders and make it far less profitable.

I'd also like to see spay and neuter more accessible and included with all adoptions.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 11-23-2013, 01:38 AM
Banned

I was just Googling the 'euthanasia fee' issue and found this.  People never cease to amaze me!

http://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/doggie-double-cross-shelter-takes-euthansia-fee-but-adopts-dog-out/

$50 seems to be the usual "fee" paid to animal shelters by owners in order to have their pets euthanised.  Perhaps the shelters get a similar amount from the government when they put an animal down?

http://www.reachoutrescue.org/info/display?PageID=11681

You see shelters are trying to make money to pay employee pay checks and don’t forget the board of directors needs to be paid too, so we don’t spend our funds to tranquilize the animal before injecting them with the lethal drug, we just put the burning lethal drug in the vein and let them suffer until dead. If it were not a “making money issue” and we had to have a licensed vet do this procedure, the animal would be sedated or tranquilized and then euthanized, but to do this procedure correctly would cost more money so we do not follow what is right for the animal, we just follow what is the fastest way we can make a dollar.

Shelters do not have to have a vet perform their euthanasia’s so even if it takes our employee 50 pokes with a needle and 3 hours to get the vein that is what we do. Making money is the issue here not loosing money.

#7 Old 11-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I can only speak for my experience at animal shelters ( 3 years ) and our large shelter did not make money at all. We had over 10,000 animals per year coming in the door and the cost for caring for them is massive. We did not euthanize for space and we did treat Upper respiratory and Kennel cough. There is a fee for admitting an animal, as it goes toward the cost of their pets food/board/medical care. The fee for admitting was the same all animals, regardless of temperament. (when I was there it was 30 dollars).

There was euthanasia twice a week and it was an incredibly sad day. People would bring their sick/old/etc animals to be euthanized and the cost was the same as admitting due to the cost of  Euthanol, which is a controlled drug and is expensive. The director would also go though the kennels and aggressive or  complex ill animals would also be selected for euthanasia. It was not a good day by any means and it was so frustrating for the staff with limited resources.

This was just my experience in shelters of course & I thought I would share:)

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#8 Old 11-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunately, we're seeing a lot of "shelter hate" these days. If you dig around, you're likely to find that a great deal of this comes from breeders and the industries and lobby groups that serve them. Breeders hate to take the blame for shelter pets being euthanized for lack of homes--for obvious reasons--so they try to make shelters out to be the bad guys, and people who allow their pets to breed or buy animals from puppy mills and what have you are all a-OK. Sadly, the breeding lobby has roped a lot of animal welfare people into this kind of thinking. 

We're only going to end the euthanasia of healthy pets IF we advocate, support and practice spay/neuter and adoption.  

Dave in MPLS and VeganTigress like this.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#9 Old 11-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

We're only going to end the euthanasia of healthy pets IF we advocate, support and practice spay/neuter and adoption.  

Amen to that.

#10 Old 11-30-2013, 09:09 AM
Riot Nrrrd

A good part of the shelter hate results from Nathan Winograd's venomous spew.

peace likes this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#11 Old 11-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Winograd is a fool when he says overpopulation is not an issue. However, I agree with him that killing (it's NOT euthanasia in this case) is not the answer.

No shelter I have ever been involved with makes money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page