Who are we to choose? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-06-2013, 05:15 PM

Which animals live and which ones die? Just because the dog makes a better pet than the chicken we kill the chicken? I've seen trucks pass by me in the highway. They are carrying live chickens in small crates. A lot of them in just one small crate. Their destination is to be slaughtered. It's very sad to see this. It's just wrong that they live and are just taken by people to be killed. It's like a mother giving birth to children and they are taken from her to be killed and she is taken also to be killed. Even if I see a spider in my bedroom I don't automatically kill it like most people would. I pick it up on a paper sheet and take it outside. Who am I to choose which animal lives and which one dies? All animals have a right to live. Humans might be intellectually superior but animals should be given an equal opportunity when it comes to living.

manics_fan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Edwin1984!

I'd say everyone here agrees with you, except for the "humans might be intellectually superior" thing!

It all depends on what you consider "superior"

You may like this quote:

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Humans are well versed at being judgmental!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 10-07-2013, 04:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree entirely about how most people erroneously believe a chicken should be considered less worthy than a dog. At the end of the day it all comes down to social norms. Here in the west we put the value of a dog above that of a chicken, but in some non-western countries a dog is considered to be food just as much as a chicken. Of course every country on Earth puts humans at the top of the species totem pole of worth.

I'd question just how intelligent humans actually are. It takes a special kind of stupidity for a species to constantly pollute and destroy the planet it depends on to survive, we humans do all the time. Dolphins are often considered to have "human-like intelligence" but they manage to live without destroying the world. It's also incredibly arrogant of humans to judge intelligence based solely on human abilities. Animals have plenty of abilities that we humans don't, and yet we don't consider ourselves to be stupid in comparison just because we don't share those abilities.

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page