Faith In Humanity -1...again - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-30-2013, 05:04 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Well, I witnessed something again online that was just depressing....in a place I wouldn't have expected so that's why I'm posting. I don't think I can link to the site or anything but I'll give a run down.

Basically on a site I frequented and actually enjoyed that had a lot of really nice and friendly people, someone decided to hold a contest about guessing how many mice they were going to kill, and linking to an item on amazon you would use to kill them with....................this wasn't a "joke" contest....the person was actually killing mice in their home, celebrating, and holding a contest about their deaths. Some of the responses were sickening and disgusting. People were laughing and talking about mice they have killed, in many times brutal ways. Suddenly, these goodhearted people I thought they were turned nasty. Say you'd do the same thing to a dog that kept getting in your dog and being annoying....I dare you. I have never wanted to be around these people with a crowbar so bad (Too violent? I didn't say I'd swing it.....yet.....................................)

Anyway :(  Made me really sad, course I said something and linked them to a humane mouse trap, while still trying to explain the issue civiliy.. Probably going to get flamed, but oh well, I'd feel worse if I hadn't have said something, even if no one listens. Life of an activist :(

I get that people want mice out of their home. I can "possibly" even understand that under extreme circumstances humane traps may not work and harsher, but hopefully non barbaric methods might have to be used. But laughing and joking about their deaths........ugh, I just can't stand those types of people. Honestly.....I'm not a violent person....but I get a spark that starts up when I hear such disgusting talk. Sometimes I don't think people will truly understand what it feels like to be on the sharp end of the stick....until they are.

When me and my veggroup from college held a speaker presentation in a lecture hall, after the gig, there was actually a mouse scurrying around at the front, and everyone was like "hey look a mouse!" and you know what? None of us veg*ns screamed, none of us jumped on on chairs, or told anyone to get a broom and whack "it." Most of us just went "awwww." And my friend said "I love vegans. :)" It was a good moment for the mouse.

Tom likes this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm disgusted to hear about this, 4ever. Sadly, exploiting animals for sport is nothing new despite how cruel and unnecessary it is. It is amazing how people that we interact with and (maybe) even thought we "knew" change under different circumstances. It's unfortunate to be witness to cruelty, but it's far worse with people that you "know" or have some sort of acquaintance with because you expect better (or at least different behavior). I think you upheld your values by pointing out using the humane mouse trap and your attempts to explain a perhaps unconsidered viewpoint on animal cruelty. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

When me and my veggroup from college held a speaker presentation in a lecture hall, after the gig, there was actually a mouse scurrying around at the front, and everyone was like "hey look a mouse!" and you know what? None of us veg*ns screamed, none of us jumped on on chairs, or told anyone to get a broom and whack "it." Most of us just went "awwww." And my friend said "I love vegans. :)" It was a good moment for the mouse.

This anecdote made me smile and while you can't change what the other people did above, this little story is definitely a +1 in my book. Especially the last line. smitten.gif

Aristedebook2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#3 Old 07-31-2013, 01:09 AM
Veggie Regular

It's at times like that, when you are reminded of the cruelty of some people, it's good to come here and take comfort in the sanctuary VB provides.

Aristede likes this.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-31-2013, 12:15 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

I'm disgusted to hear about this, 4ever. Sadly, exploiting animals for sport is nothing new despite how cruel and unnecessary it is. It is amazing how people that we interact with and (maybe) even thought we "knew" change under different circumstances. It's unfortunate to be witness to cruelty, but it's far worse with people that you "know" or have some sort of acquaintance with because you expect better (or at least different behavior). I think you upheld your values by pointing out using the humane mouse trap and your attempts to explain a perhaps unconsidered viewpoint on animal cruelty. 

This anecdote made me smile and while you can't change what the other people did above, this little story is definitely a +1 in my book. Especially the last line. smitten.gif

Aristedebook2.gif

Thanks for the support, Aristede.

Yeah, it's definitely more shocking of me, because it's actually a nice community and I expected better of them.

Oh yeah :) It was a nice moment for me too where I didn't have to go beat someone with a broom for trying to beat a mouse with a broom. Vegans are pretty cool <3

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#5 Old 07-31-2013, 12:16 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

It's at times like that, when you are reminded of the cruelty of some people, it's good to come here and take comfort in the sanctuary VB provides.

Yep. That's why I come here lol. You guys keep some faith in humanity going :)

#6 Old 07-31-2013, 12:52 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I actually got a polite reply from the person holding the contest, apologizing for having offended me. She was like "yeah it's not nice to laugh about killing things.......but psychology wise it's a mechanism used to make unpleasant situations more comfortable." and then she went on to explain about mouse diseases and how she didn't mean to offend me x__X Well, I still am offended. Oye, I wrote her a polite response back, trying to use some behavioral psychology knoweledge to get her to think more about where she was saying and how if she already agrees that it's not nice to laugh about killing things, that value isn't being displayed in her words here. She said she couldn't go far enough away to use the humane trap, so likewise I directed her to that wall plug in thing. We'll see.

#7 Old 07-31-2013, 02:28 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Faith in humanity, somewhat restored! After talking more with the person, they thanked me for being civil, and told me that they would look into the repellants and that they hadn't meant any disagreeable content for the contest and they'd try to be more careful. Well, let's hope I made a difference.
silva and Jennifer C like this.

#8 Old 07-31-2013, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you did, 4ever. You gave that other person something to think about and more than likely that person's perspective has been affected by your activism! Good show! 

Aristedebook2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#9 Old 07-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I've heard mixed reviews about using ultrasound to make rodents leave a house. I've also heard that they don't like peppermint- or maybe it was peppermint oil... Knock on wood, but I've never had a mouse problem in my house. But to be safe, I've started growing peppermint in my garden.

It's also important to seal off small holes where a mouse could enter the house... which can be difficult, because they're very good at oogling themselves through small openings. You've probably told them all or most of this, though. Even though it was probably difficult for you to be civil in that context, the other posters were probably more open to what you had to tell them.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#10 Old 07-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Faith in humanity, somewhat restored! After talking more with the person, they thanked me for being civil, and told me that they would look into the repellants and that they hadn't meant any disagreeable content for the contest and they'd try to be more careful. Well, let's hope I made a difference.

I think you made a tremendous difference! I've been there, I had mice come in my house when I was selling it. You want an end to the problem, and they are a problem! All the turds and urine they make, and how quickly they multiply. First I caught them in coffee cans and drove them down the road. But there's never one. It takes a lot of diligence to seal every little crack, and be sure they're really all out.

That doesn't excuse cruelty. You handled it very well. The person was not only able to understand her own defenses, but was able to understand your point of view and just maybe will think differently about the life around her and their right to habitation and food. That she appreciated your response was a major win for both of you!

You made a difference. You gave her a link to start a chain of understanding. of compassion.

Aristede likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#11 Old 07-31-2013, 06:03 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Thanks for all the support guys!! :)

#12 Old 07-31-2013, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I've heard mixed reviews about using ultrasound to make rodents leave a house. I've also heard that they don't like peppermint- or maybe it was peppermint oil... Knock on wood, but I've never had a mouse problem in my house. But to be safe, I've started growing peppermint in my garden.

It's also important to seal off small holes where a mouse could enter the house... which can be difficult, because they're very good at oogling themselves through small openings. You've probably told them all or most of this, though. Even though it was probably difficult for you to be civil in that context, the other posters were probably more open to what you had to tell them.

I've heard about using peppermint oil to deter mice. I had mice in my last apartment and was quite alarmed by them. Naturally, I took all the necessary precautions: no dishes left in the  sink, trash covered and taken out even more often, etc. But they were still a persistent problem. Since I was renting a condo, I had to let my landlord know and he told me that he would put down traps. In retrospect, I should have used a better non-lethal option but I don't like dealing with bugs and rodents. Also, I suppose my landlord didn't want it to get out of hand though. I'll have to think better of things in the future when dealing with unwanted wildlife in the house. 

Aristedebook2.gif

#13 Old 08-10-2013, 02:22 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

UPDATE!!

I think this deserves a bump for what happened.

So even though someone did win the contest, the person holding it actually sent me a little treat for standing up for my beliefs civily. <3 Faith in humanity +2

Aristede and 'IckenNoodleSoup like this.

#14 Old 08-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, there is indeed something to be said about standing by one's convictions! 

Aristedebook2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page