ALF (Animal Liberation Front) Right or Wrong? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By joelbny
  • 1 Post By 4everaspirit

#1 Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 AM
High King of Eire

I have recently came across a very interesting group. They are called the "ALF" (Animal Liberation Front)

I'll leave a link to their site, I would appreciate if you could give it a quick read through and tell me what you think, Right or Wrong? And why?

I would love to join them, or a group similar, But I can't find any in Northern Ireland.

Thanks!

http://www.animalliberationfront.com/index.html - Website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-25-2013, 12:01 PM

I think they keep a low profile bec they advocate nonviolent but sometimes illegal methods of reducing animal suffering.

Like resistance groups during ww2 or civil rights activists in the 60's, there are animal activists willing to risk their own freedom to reduce the suffering of other sentient beings.

From a consequentialist ethics perspective that includes animal well-being, 'stealing' foie gras ducks and freeing them, (non-violently) sabotaging lab equipment used for animal vivisection, going undercover to videotape animal abuse at factory farms and slaughterhouses, or the Sea Shepherds' harassing Whaling ships, are not wrong but morally desirable actions.

But our omnivore society's laws disagree, for now.

Absurdly, the US Goverment labels such animal activists (along with environmentalist groups) as 'terrorists.'

What a joke equating someone who lives to prevent cruelty and terror with a Fundamentalist monster who lives to inflict cruelty and terror. Pretty ironic...
#3 Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I love them and what they do, so long as they aren't actually targeting people with intent to harm. 

They do what most people, and even a lot of vegetarians and vegans don't have the guts too. The break into research labs, factory farms, and rescue a few animals. People will say "it won't make a difference" but it damn well makes a HUGE difference to those few lucky ones.

Much respect for ALF.

There is also no formal "joining" initiation. You are a part of them if you take it upon yourself to actually be an active advocate for animals. Much more than just "living vegan" but actually getting  involved to save animals and bringing some peace to where much of the sun don't shine.

@ Joel. 

Couldn't have said it better myself. The government is a bunch of old fogies in office, living in the past, living off the past ways of steak and gravy that want to call those that rescue animals terrorists. I suppose those who stowed away human slaves and hid them were also terrorists....oh but now they aren't? Because society thinks that's now a noble deed? After such a fierce resistance, such bigotry and prejudice? We now look back and shake our heads at those on the wrong end of history???? Why can't they make the connection that they are in the same damn mindset when it comes to people rescuing animals today.

I have no doubt that there will be a time when more and more people support efforts to rescue animals, any animal, from facotry farms, labs, etc, and I'll be telling these people, "50 years ago, you wouldn't be supporting such, you would have been hollering and calling vegans extremeists."........isn't that how this game works?

Here is a documentary on them.

File source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BehindTheMask.jpg

http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/alf_behind_the_mask_the_story_of_the_people_who_risk_everything_to_save_animals/

heatherrenai likes this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

By the way, here is another organization that you might like. They stage protests as well as do "branding" activism and many members get a 269 tattoo. They are actually a fairly new organization and have gotten insanely popular in a small amount of time.

Website http://269life.com/#&panel1-1

Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/269calf?fref=ts

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#5 Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Impeach the gangster

MOD POST- The ALF organization is universally regarded as being engaged in illegal activity, such as the destruction of private property. Anyone posting in this thread, please be aware that any advocacy or encouragement of breaking the law on this website is strictly forbidden. It's okay to discuss this group, but advocating illegal activity will not be tolerated.

On a personal note, Swaffle, if I were you, I'd be very careful about allying myself with a group that potentially would put myself at risk and jeopardize my future. Please consider your actions carefully, and don't become involved in criminal activity.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#6 Old 03-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

watch: Bold Native
read: Free the Animals

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
#7 Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Riot Nrrrd

If you read up on the ALF you will undoubtedly run across the name Ronnie Lee. He helped found Band of Mercy, which eventually became the ALF. I think what he has to say should be considered. A few years ago he published the essay "How Long Revisited", which can be read here. The upshot of the piece is summarized in this very brief snippet:

Quote:

The heyday of militant action has long gone and, realistically, can only now play a minor part in the overall struggle for animal liberation. Something different is needed to bring about the necessary changes. Two things, in fact.

Firstly, public education to teach people how animals are persecuted, why this is wrong and what they can do about it, by becoming vegan, boycotting zoos and circuses, not betting on horse or greyhound racing, etc. To a large extent this is happening already, but I think it can be greatly improved, through such things as better use of the media and a concerted effort to set up an extensive network of local animal protection groups, who are best placed to take the message to the public.

Secondly, political campaigning to bring a party into power that will pass strong and effective animal protection legislation.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#8 Old 03-25-2013, 02:15 PM
High King of Eire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

On a personal note, Swaffle, if I were you, I'd be very careful about allying myself with a group that potentially would put myself at risk and jeopardize my future. Please consider your actions carefully, and don't become involved in criminal activity.

Okay, sorry, Will be more careful!

#9 Old 03-25-2013, 02:26 PM
High King of Eire

Also, I love this speech. It's great. You guys should all try watching it sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_11286&feature=iv&src_vid=es6U00LMmC4&v=es6U00LMmC4#t=1m44s

#10 Old 03-25-2013, 03:24 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaffle View Post

Also, I love this speech. It's great. You guys should all try watching it sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_11286&feature=iv&src_vid=es6U00LMmC4&v=es6U00LMmC4#t=1m44s

I always keep that speech on hand and in my arsenal. My friends, when I show them this speech, even if they don't go veg, get a little shaken up by it.

#11 Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Klensch View Post

ALF is a name that anyone or group can use whilst carrying out illegal actions as long as certain actions are taken such as avoiding violence.

The Animal Rights Militia sanctions the use of violence

Revolutionary Cells – Animal Liberation Brigade is another name for leaderless resistance movements

True. They have to remain leaderless. I watched a documentary on the ALF called behind the mask, and it explained how in it's early days they did have a small organization but the cops got involved as they were too easy to track down. So now it's up to individual people to be part of the ALF.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page