Animal cruelty in circuses (tried to tell someone about it, brushed me off) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

This is more of a rant and pointless thread, so be forewarned. tongue3.gif

Someone I follow on Instagram took her kids to the circus and posted pictures talking about how fun and exciting it was. One picture showed elephants perched on tiny stools. I posted a link to an informative website about the cruelty behind circuses, and told her I just wanted to raise awareness.
She responded, "the picketers do plenty of that. I wish people were as passionate about human rights as they were about animals. To each his own. Hard to believe those animals we saw ere suffering with how much they adored their trainer. Not to mention they eat better then many people do."

Wtf? I can't even...
Do I respond? I don't want to just let it go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

1. False dichotomy - the assumption that caring about non-human animal rights means that you don't also care about human rights.

2. More information about that circus specifically and hidden abuses might wake her up. I don't support non-human animal circuses - humans can do some awesome tricks too! (see Cirque du Soleil)

USDA (a problematic organization, but nonetheless useful) and citations on specific animal-exploited circuses:

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-in-entertainment/Circuses-USDA-Citations-Problems.aspx

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#3 Old 01-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I doubt she even read the link I posted. It was a good one too! In addition to animal cruelty it discussed public safety, how circuses are anti-educational, etc.

http://www.idausa.org/facts/circusfacts.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKat View Post

I doubt she even read the link I posted. It was a good one too! In addition to animal cruelty it discussed public safety, how circuses are anti-educational, etc.
http://www.idausa.org/facts/circusfacts.html

I know, but taking specific statistics and incidences, posting them as part of your comment and providing the USDA links as citation make it harder to ignore.

She makes the claim that the performing animals eat better than most people - where's her proof? And what do we define as "most people"? And is the treatment they get being broken into performing a fair trade-off for this alleged "better eating"?

She makes the claim that the animals "adore" their trainers - where's her proof?

Incidentally, I know people will be like pfft PETA, but here's are the scans of the documents from the USDA citing one circus for animal welfare violations:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/foia/enforcement_actions/2011/July/Animal%20Welfare%20Act/Complaints/FL07741%20&%20FX07141-AC%20Cole%20Bros.pdf

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#5 Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

sounds like she's just deflecting. if it were me i'd reply with something to the effect of:
"you're absolutely right that people should be more passionate about human rights. what are some of the human rights causes you are passionate about? i always like to increase my awareness of human-specific or animal rights issues"
luxdancer likes this.
#6 Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

The human rights thing is so ridiculous. Ask her to let you know when she volunteers for a human rights cause because you'd like to help her out by donating time or money. And about the circus animals eating better than humans, you can ask her which food bank she donates to.

About the circus - it's on the way out. Civilized, educated people do not go to animal circuses. They don't. It's passe. Whenever I attend a circus protest we get more people who give thumbs up than people who glare or flip us off. People stop and say "thank you" when we protest the circus. Some countries have even banned animal acts in circuses (Greece, for example).

Reasons to oppose animal acts in the circus:

- animal welfare (cruel methods are used to train these wild animals)

- animal rights (wild animals do not belong in cages or on stages)

- human safety (wild animals are dangerous no matter how long they've been in captivity or how "well trained" they are)

- waste of resources (food and transportation of animals for circus acts is unecessary and a waste of resources)

- sends dangerous messages to children (makes kids think wild animals are safe to interact with)

Resources to help educate her or others:

http://www.animalcircuses.com/

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-in-entertainment/circuses.aspx

http://www.vier-pfoten.campaignbox.de/stop-it/index.php

#7 Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 PM

I would most definitely respond, not to offend, but to educate. I wouldn't suggest asking her about the human rights issues she is passionate about, that seems a little inflammatory to me.

I would inform her that one can be passionate about both human and animal rights. The two are certainly not incompatible. Furthermore, people are generally more passionate about human rights than they are about animal rights. I have no idea where she got the idea that it was otherwise. Even if it was, it wouldn't follow that animal abuse is justified. The animals do not adore their trainer, they are fearful of them. Tell her to actually read the link you provided and perhaps link to other pages as well such as undercover footage and so on. And obviously they are fed, but this is merely a reflection of the property status of the animal. You have to feed the animal if you want to exploit it efficiently. Wild animals belong in the wild where they can get their own food, as they would much prefer. 

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”
-Leo Tolstoy

#8 Old 01-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Find out which circus she attended. Then link directly to that circus's USDA violation list....sadly...they all have them. Say something simple like, their USDA inspection records tell a different story.
4everaspirit likes this.

slops, gloops, and gruels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page