Rescued a rooster today.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 AM
New Vegan

Today I decided to rescue a rooster.  Yea, a funny sentence to start with...I have to admit, I am partially responsible for his miserable life and feel quite guilty about it...

I want to give a background:

My neighbor attempted to hatch eggs this last spring - she had 24 eggs in the box and only 1 hatched - a cute little chick that was named "Stew" (as a joke).  Stew was an adorable fluff of fur.  Stew spent his first few days in my neighbors pocket of her hoodie (large front pocket) to keep warm.  Then was put into a box for a few weeks.  Stew was lonely so neighbor got another chick to keep him company.  When they outgrew the box (and got stinky) she put them outside and they ended up at another neighbors house, who was less than impressed.  Neighbor caught Stew but never found the other baby (something must have gotten it).  Stew then was put into neighbors shower stall where he lived for 2 months.  I convinced neighbor to move him to my rabbit hutch (at the time Stew was small enough for it) TEMPORARILY (this is where *I* have responsibility...sigh).  She agreed - I felt it was a better place for him and I could make sure he had food, water and grass.  He was SUPPOSED to be there for a week.

She promised and promised to find him a home.  At this point he is too big for it - he can't stretch his wings and he can hardly get through the opening from one side to the other.  He is scared to death of people (whenever I fed him he threw himself into the other side of the cage or went to the other part of the hutch).  So today, after repeated promises from neighbor (who did not even care enough about him to buy food) I decided to "let him go".  I opened both doors and told him he's free (I live on 3 acres so he will have plenty of space and I have a place he can go at night for protection).  It took him a few minutes to jump out of the cage.  He's now at MY house and is, of course, a bit confused.

He is now laying in the sun (first time ever he's been in the sun - I made neighbor put the cage in the shade for him so he wouldn't get too hot).  He seems to be enjoying himself.

I then had hubby and a friend go collect the rabbit hutch and put it on our burn pile - we happen to be burning today and so it's already on fire so Stew will NEVER be caged in that thing again (I own it, I can burn it, right?)  :)

I'm going to attempt to add a pic or two on here of the cage, and of Stew.

Welcome home, Stew! :)

This is the rabbit cage after I removed him - how disgusting! :(  Poor guy!

This is the rabbit cage in the fire pit (after he had been removed, of course!)

And this is Stew.  Isn't he gorgeous!?  The second photo is him laying in the sun!

~~~~~
I'm a very new Vegan...please be gentle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I was a vegan before but did not have support from family but now I just do not care if I have support or not and am a vegan for life! But, since I'm standing my ground I have the support of my sweet husband, my mom and my best friend. Guess no one else really matters, right?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-24-2012, 01:04 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Awww, thanks for saving him <3 He'll love being able to move around.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#3 Old 08-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Banned

How nice of you. smiley.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Ankle Biter

What a great story! I'm sure you and Stew will enjoy your lives together for a long time!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 08-25-2012, 09:13 PM
New Vegan

:)  Thanks everyone!  Stew appears to have a hurt left leg.  He is doing okay but will not allow us to get close to him so I can check it out.  I do have a net that I can use to catch him, but it scares him so I will only do so in an emergency.  My husband thinks it's hurt because he couldn't move well in the cage he was in before.

Last night (and tonight) he is in our potting shed.  I need to build him a home to sleep in at night.  He was very vocal to me this morning wanting OUT of the shed (it is a 12x8 shed, so it's SUPER large for one bird! LOL).  I let him out about 8:30 and he stopped making noise.  He's so cute.  I'm glad he's living here with us! :)

~~~~~

I was a vegan before but did not have support from family but now I just do not care if I have support or not and am a vegan for life! But, since I'm standing my ground I have the support of my sweet husband, my mom and my best friend. Guess no one else really matters, right?
#6 Old 08-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Banned

You did a really nice thing by rescuing him. It really bothers me when people keep animals cooped up in cages all day. I don't think any animal was ever meant to be caged and who would want such a life? Birds want to stretch their wings and walk around in the fresh air, feel the grass under their toes.

I hope Stew's leg feels better soon. I know the net scares him but it would be better (for him) to be scared for a short while at the vet instead of his leg possibly getting worse and causing him lots of pain in the longrun. (It might be broken, who knows?)...I would say take him to the vet. Pets never like going, but neither do children enjoy doctors. They'll both feel better when they get home.

Get well soon, Stew! smiley.gif

#7 Old 08-26-2012, 06:42 AM
New Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Vegan View Post

You did a really nice thing by rescuing him. It really bothers me when people keep animals cooped up in cages all day. I don't think any animal was ever meant to be caged and who would want such a life? Birds want to stretch their wings and walk around in the fresh air, feel the grass under their toes.

I hope Stew's leg feels better soon. I know the net scares him but it would be better (for him) to be scared for a short while at the vet instead of his leg possibly getting worse and causing him lots of pain in the longrun. (It might be broken, who knows?)...I would say take him to the vet. Pets never like going, but neither do children enjoy doctors. They'll both feel better when they get home.

Get well soon, Stew! smiley.gif

I 100% agree - hubby and I said that if he appears to be hurt tomorrow (Monday) that we will catch him and take him to the vet's.  It appears that he is "just" lame (I put just like that because I am still angry about it!!) from being caged up.

I just don't understand why she kept him in it so long.  She is away for a week, which is why we took him (she did tell us we could before she left though, but who knows if she meant it or not).  

The way he is walking/acting is as if he's just lame and his muscles/tendons are not stretched out.  He'll walk for a little bit (30 seconds or so) then have to lay down.  He is breathing hard when he does this...kind of like he's out of shape...know what I mean?

I just got up and can hear him crowing away from inside the potting shed...sounds like he's saying "let me out!" haha.  I'm heading out now to 'obey' his order! lol

~~~~~

#8 Old 08-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Banned

Yeah, maybe he's just an "out of shape" rooster due to being cooped up all the time. Hopefully his legs will grow stronger as he walks more. And now he can spread his wings too. And just FYI, Walmart.com has some pretty cheap chicken coops of different sizes. If you wanted to buy one pre-made for him. Or does he prefer his shed? :)

#9 Old 08-26-2012, 04:22 PM
New Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Vegan View Post

Yeah, maybe he's just an "out of shape" rooster due to being cooped up all the time. Hopefully his legs will grow stronger as he walks more. And now he can spread his wings too. And just FYI, Walmart.com has some pretty cheap chicken coops of different sizes. If you wanted to buy one pre-made for him. Or does he prefer his shed? :)

Thanks for that info - I will go check it out!  Never knew Walmart sold coops! :)  I'm SURE he'd prefer the shed, but i need that for growing veggies! LOL

~~~~~

#10 Old 08-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Banned

I don't know if they sell coops in their actual store. I've never seen any. But here is a link to the coops they sell online; http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=Chicken+Coops

Best of luck!

#11 Old 08-27-2012, 05:15 AM

My mum had 3 hens. It took us (4 people) one weekend and £200 in materials to built a 20ft by 10ft (5ft high) coop on the side of our old shed. Not much more in cost than the horrible little ones they sell for chickens that barely look fit for a guinea pig xxx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page