Went to a pet store today - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Vegetarian

Why am I always drawn to animals when in bad conditions that I cannot help? I had time to kill so I went to a pet store today. It's really disturbing, looking at it with a more educated eye. It is very possible that all of the puppies came from puppy mills, but more than that, just the fact that they were selling them. It is a business, breeding and selling living beings. I don't object to giving a dog a home, but creating a dog just because we want one? They were kept in too small cages too. I am not a fan of cages at all, but there was not enough room. No room to run and nothing to play with. Puppies are very high energy, they can't be locked in glass boxes all day, everyday. Nobody should. I don't think they relocate the dogs after hours (and even if they did, that is still like 8 hours a day every day). Also, the birds and ferrets seemed too tightly packed too. I'm not sure, I've never taken care of either, but I snapped some pictures.

The ferrets. I seemed to remember there being six, but I only count five in this picture. Box seems too small. Sad that they have to be put in a box in the first place, but it is more forgivable than the dogs. Ferrets are harder to contain. Still, area seems too small.

scaled.php?server=21&filename=cam00025.jpg&res=landing

The birds. Same sized exhibit as the ferrets I think. I count 12 - 14 from this picture. Again, the store was very small, and it didn't seem to have much of a back area. Highly doubtful that they had bigger cages elsewhere (and if they did, why not put them in the actual store?). It disturbed me and I want a hug. I want, but these animals need. 

“Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.”— Albert Schweitzer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-24-2012, 04:30 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Awww *hug* :(

You can't really "rescue" them unfortunately because you don't want to end up supporting the pet stores. I hear plenty of people going into walmart or wherever and they do a "sympathy" purchase because they feel bad for the fish or the fish are in bad conditions. While their compassion is nice, they end up supporting the same industry that put such animals in that position V_V (and they don't like it when I tell them that. brood.gif)

However, I'm sure you could address your complaints to a manager and see if that will get you anywhere. Who knows, it might. You might want to look at the overall required living spaces for birds and ferrets and if they are not up to minimum here, show that to the managers. If they are breaking some kind of law they should have to pay and fix it.

You can also be an advocate for adopting instead of buying. I know at a vegfest I went to there was a station that had pamphlets and were leading advocates for making people aware of puppy mills and pet stores. Whenever I hear someone wants to get a pet, I tell them to adopt. (sometimes they don't like to hear that either...sheesh)

I really hate the idea too that animals are basically brought into life "for people." It's sad. There's plenty of shelters around me where they are completely FULL and cannot hold anymore animals, hence why they have to put a lot down. I was hoping to volunteer for one of the shelters because I hear that it's depressing from both the animals and the people and I have faith that I could bring positivity and make the animals lives better there. (I have been there, and the people just don't really seem to care that much *___o)

If I had more guts and wasn't afraid of the law, I would hand out flyers at pet stores or places selling "new puppies" letting people know to not buy from pet stores and only adopt.

There is stuff you can do though, so just look into it, be creative, and do the best you can to make a difference <3 sunny.gif

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#3 Old 06-24-2012, 05:36 PM

What really is hard for me is whenever I see this I want to buy the animals to get them out of these awful conditions but i don't want to support the evil business. By buying them I am only fueling the fire but if I don't the innocent animals in front of me are tortured before my eyes. It is a catch 22. I just wish I or someone could make a change.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-24-2012, 05:43 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by raachhell0513 View Post

What really is hard for me is whenever I see this I want to buy the animals to get them out of these awful conditions but i don't want to support the evil business. By buying them I am only fueling the fire but if I don't the innocent animals in front of me are tortured before my eyes. It is a catch 22. I just wish I or someone could make a change.

You can :) I gave you guys examples of what you can do.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#5 Old 06-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

It makes me so sad.

I've never bought a pet from a pet store. It depresses me so much just to go into one. It really reveals how extreme human use of animals as commodities really is. They are literally being packaged and sold just like any other object. I don't understand why that's legal. 

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

#6 Old 06-24-2012, 07:09 PM

That is why I don't support pet stores :(

#7 Old 06-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't go to petstores unless its petsmart other then that I don't go to one, My aunt breeds dogs been doing this for over 30 years, she is a no kill

shelter so she also takes in unwanted pets.  One of them were a cat in 05 December someone dropped the cat off in front of her house knowing 

she was a no kill shelter and she took in the cat, not knowing that the cat was a female and about to give birth, the cat gave birth and a few months later

she got pregnant again, that is how we got our two cats we have now they were born in april 06.

#8 Old 06-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Beginner

my friend went to a pet store before and all the animals were dead....

#9 Old 06-24-2012, 08:26 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVskier View Post

my friend went to a pet store before and all the animals were dead....

Huh? I've seen crappy pet stores before, but not one where all the animals were dead.

I've seen a few dead animals in pet stores, but not all. Some stores really overcrowd too :(

All we are is dust in the wind
#10 Old 06-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post

Huh? I've seen crappy pet stores before, but not one where all the animals were dead.

I've seen a few dead animals in pet stores, but not all. Some stores really overcrowd too :(

I've walked into a butcher's shop before and all the animals were dead :(

Thanks for all the replies, and I know, I feel that same catch-22. I see it like somebody kidnapping a person and getting a ransom. Yes, that guy gets a happy ending when you pay up, but then you just encourage more of that behavior. You buy a puppy and you pay for another to be created. Also, thanks 4everaspirit, I am trying to find some law that they are breaking (I hope there is a law, there should be). I'm a complete wuss, but I'll have to suck it up for this. Cowardice is not a reason to ignore something that is wrong.

#11 Old 06-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratus View Post

Thanks for all the replies, and I know, I feel that same catch-22. I see it like somebody kidnapping a person and getting a ransom. Yes, that guy gets a happy ending when you pay up, but then you just encourage more of that behavior. You buy a puppy and you pay for another to be created. Also, thanks 4everaspirit, I am trying to find some law that they are breaking (I hope there is a law, there should be). I'm a complete wuss, but I'll have to suck it up for this. Cowardice is not a reason to ignore something that is wrong.

That's a scarily accurate comparison.

And I'm with you! No more cowardice! 

-Martha Graham

#12 Old 06-25-2012, 03:17 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratus View Post

I've walked into a butcher's shop before and all the animals were dead :(

Well, butcher shop yeah. All the animals are dead :( But omnivores usually don't see them as animals, just food >_<

All we are is dust in the wind
#13 Old 06-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm surprised the store employees weren't pissed about your taking photos.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#14 Old 06-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

I hate going into pet stores, especially the small ones. But if there is one in an area I'm shopping in, I always try to go in. I check to make sure all the animals have food and water and aren't injured. If they do need anything I tell a store employee or a manager and stand there until it's taken care of. Sometimes I'll take pictures before I ask them to take care of it, just in case I get thrown out, so I can report them.

So far, no one has refused to do what I asked. I've had someone argue before, but when they realized I wasn't leaving, they took care of it. They also asked if I was from an animal welfare office and I said yes. That got them moving. tongue3.gif

Some of the things I've had the pet stores do:
Clean the water in all the birds cages (they were filthy).
Change leaky water bottles.
Take a bird to the vet because his beak didn't close properly.
Clean out the dead betta fish and put clean water in with the ones still alive.
Fill empty water bottles and bowls.

So, even though you can't do much about them being sold, you can make their lives a little less miserable if you at least check to make sure they have food, water and aren't injured.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#15 Old 06-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

I hate going into pet stores, especially the small ones. But if there is one in an area I'm shopping in, I always try to go in. I check to make sure all the animals have food and water and aren't injured. If they do need anything I tell a store employee or a manager and stand there until it's taken care of. Sometimes I'll take pictures before I ask them to take care of it, just in case I get thrown out, so I can report them.
So far, no one has refused to do what I asked. I've had someone argue before, but when they realized I wasn't leaving, they took care of it. They also asked if I was from an animal welfare office and I said yes. That got them moving. tongue3.gif
So, even though you can't do much about them being sold, you can make their lives a little less miserable if you at least check to make sure they have food, water and aren't injured.

It's so great that you do that! It really bums me out that the animals are kept in such terrible conditions though, honestly I can't believe they don't have some kind of stricter regulations about that. I may start popping into the pet stores around my area too to check on things. undecided.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#16 Old 06-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

This is definitely a great thing to do.

I'm going to head over to the little pet store in my town sometime and check it out. 

-Martha Graham

#17 Old 06-26-2012, 04:35 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone104 View Post

This is definitely a great thing to do.

I'm going to head over to the little pet store in my town sometime and check it out. 

Good idea! Let's all do that haha xD

#18 Old 06-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Beginner

It is the reality. I hate going to pet stores. Last time if was a long time ago. poor animals. most of the time they do not have care enough. if we stay positive we can say that it isn"t worth than what happens in the slaughterhouses and at least ( I hope it happens most of the time) animals in pet stores find an owner to pamper them and love them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page