Caponization - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 PM
nhn

I belong to the Back yard chickens forum as I have hens. I do not eat them but I do give the eggs to my daughter for baking. There is a thread on there with very graphic pictures of how to caponize a bird. This procedure has been banned In Europe and should be banned here in my opinion. It is done with no anesthesia and it's surgery to remove the testicles as they are inside the bird. I posted to the thread and of course was given the usual flack from meat eaters on how dumb I am, I was also warned by the mods to watch myself.

I'm curious what others think of this procedure. here is more information.

http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/pdfs/farm/HSUS-Report-on-Caponization.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2012, 01:13 PM

Yea, it's barbaric and should be banned in the U.S.

#3 Old 06-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

If reincarnation exists, the people that insist on treating chickens so poorly are in trouble. Maybe they'll be reincarnated as factory farm chickens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Ankle Biter

It sounds horrible.  Absolutely should be banned.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 06-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

If reincarnation exists, the people that insist on treating chickens so poorly are in trouble. Maybe they'll be reincarnated as factory farm chickens.

Agreed, that's horrifying sad.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 06-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

I understand they probably have helpful information, but I personally wouldn't want to be a member of a board that promotes animal abuse. Don't they also have videos showing how to slaughter your chickens?

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#7 Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I agree.

It's despicable and should be illegal. 

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

#8 Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

It seems capons are more of a feature of "speciality" cuisine, like foie gras. Therefore, it is vulnerable to campaigns.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#9 Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

If you did this to a companion bird, f***ed it up, and subsequently took the bird to a vet's office, they'd notify the police and animal control.

Keep on freepin' on

#10 Old 06-28-2012, 11:45 AM
nhn

They justify doing this to male birds because it makes the meat sweeter. Disgusting!
 Yes the board back yard chickens also has videos on how to slaughter. I tried to leave the board and they won't let me :(

#11 Old 07-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Beginner

Then why is it okay to do it to dogs?  Or is it only the pain that's wrong?

#12 Old 07-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhn View Post

They justify doing this to male birds because it makes the meat sweeter. Disgusting!
 Yes the board back yard chickens also has videos on how to slaughter. I tried to leave the board and they won't let me :(

What do you mean they won't let you? They can't force you to go on there

#13 Old 07-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Dogs are under anesthetic when altered. They are also given painkillers afer the surgery, which is done in a sterile setting by vets.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#14 Old 07-17-2012, 02:08 AM
Beginner

So it's only the pain that's wrong?  If these animals were anesthetized, there would be no problem?

#15 Old 07-17-2012, 06:49 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Castrating dogs is not very nice, either, but it is better than unwanted, starving pups all over the place.
#16 Old 07-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobilis of Wind View Post

So it's only the pain that's wrong?  If these animals were anesthetized, there would be no problem?

The motivation is very different.  This isn't done for the welfare of the roosters, to make them better companion animals (meaning they'll have a better time settling into life with their caretakers), or to prevent subsequent suffering through unwanted births of chicks. 

And as pointed out DIY surgery is vastly different than surgery done by a trained vet.  So clearly pain is not the only issue even putting aside motivation.  If you could have your appendix taken out by your next door neighbor or by a surgeon, which would you choose and why?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#17 Old 07-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Beginner

It is not better than having dogs running around.  It is mutilating dogs who have done nothing wrong.  If dogs overpopulate and become a threat to humans, then it is justified to deal with the threatening animals.  It is not justified to perform unnecessary surgery to make dogs fit into your ideal human world.

#18 Old 07-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you ever been to a country where there are starving, thirsty, sick, and often unsocialized dogs running around the street?  Is that better than spaying and neutering?  They're not wild animals, they're domestic animals who rely on human care.

I've never met a single person who seriously rescues animals who felt the way that you do about it.

By the way, are you out there alleviating the suffering of feral cat colonies by feeding and watering them and providing shelter and vet care?  Because I know there are colonies in your area.  Serious rescuers do trap/alter/release.  But if you're advocating that domestic animals should breed unaltered, then at least do your part and help with the resultant suffering.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#19 Old 07-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Beginner

I apply the nonaggression principle to all animals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page