Shove a dollar in, win a sentient being! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw something yesterday that absolutely horrified me. Then after the SAT's, I went to a large mall we have downtown, and saw something that made me ashamed to be a part of the human race. You know those machines that contain stuffed animals-- you put in some money, and try to pick one up with a claw? Well, it was one of these machines, but it certainly didn't contain some stuffed giraffe -- it had lobsters! Live lobsters, just lying there in their own filth in that dank little machine. One was even dead on it's back, and looked like it was decomposing!

Thank heavens no one was in the mood to try their luck in my precense. After the test and that Ruby Tuesday's veggie burger I would have been violently ill. I was just so upset by this. I even said the f word. Twice. (Please don't tell my mom about either time) Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had ever came across anything like this? I don't see how it is legal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Administrator

So what do you do with it once you win?

That is disgusting.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 03-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

How would that work?

Never mind, I don't want to know. Poor lobsters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-28-2004, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh my...What the Heck!??! What mall is this? I woulkd write to them and tell them that mchine is outrageous. I can't even believe that...what is the world coming to...
#5 Old 03-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Aww, i thought it was a raffle, where I could give a dollar and win a cow or something. I was like, man, I gotta check this out.

Anyway, the whole lobster thing is disturbing...really. Even at the store, when they are in those tanks, I am pretty apalled. I can't imagine wanting to eat one of those anyway.
#6 Old 03-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh, that sounds horrible. If they're passing the poor creatures off as "dinner" I would suggest reporting them to your county health department. A call to the local Humane Society or SPCA wouldn't hurt either.
#7 Old 03-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

That is exactly what they are doing, Jess. I was upset, so I didn't read the description posted on the tank very thoroughly, but I believe it said the restaurant located next to the tank would cook it for you if you managed to "win" one. The whole thing really put a damper on my day. Seeing them in the grocery stores is already quite morose, but making a game out of it.. Sigh.

The machine was located in the Jacksonville Landing, one of the few semi-active hot spots around this town. Contacting the health department is a great idea. I will do that.
#8 Old 04-01-2004, 02:29 AM
Beginner

I suggest reading "Save the Animals" by Ingrid Newirk......... And Animal Liberation by Peter Singer.
#9 Old 04-01-2004, 04:30 AM
Banned

Back when I was a meat guzzling ignorant, I wouldn't eat lobster, because I knew they were put in the boiling water alive. But this is even worse.
#10 Old 04-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Banned

I was talking to my omnivore sister one time about how I felt that animals were on the same "level" as humans, and she felt that humans were superior. I asked her if it would bother her to see the animals she eats murdered, such as watching a live chicken boil. She responded that she boiled a live lobster one time and that didn't bother her at all. So frustrating...

Does it make her a bad person? No. Does it make me wonder why some people care about animals and others don't one bit? Yes.
#11 Old 04-02-2004, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

My best friend, who is vegetarian, went to a resturant with her dad while she was in florida and they had one of these machines in the resturant. I believe she burst into tears and left, so her dad (pretty cool for an omni) asked to see the manager and pretty much told him off for being an a$$ and having one of those machines. They reported it, but left florida before they could find out what happened. It made me sooo sad just to hear it.
#12 Old 04-04-2004, 03:28 AM

thats why my mom went veggie, she was in maine as a Nanny for a family, and they of course gave her a live lobster. she didnt understand what she was supposed to do with the squirming thing until she saw the rest of the family calmly put their lobsters in boiling pots of water that had been provided. She freaked out and refused to kill her lobster and promptly left the table. ROCK ON MOM! did you call the health departmant, Grain girl?
#13 Old 04-04-2004, 03:40 AM
Veggie Regular

This is disgusting! A dollar?! I wouldn't pay more than 50 cents for a lobster!

Just kidding.
#14 Old 04-04-2004, 05:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Ugh, poor lobsters. That's horrible.

And it does make you wonder how some people would actually do it. And think it was a cool idea.
#15 Old 04-13-2004, 01:20 PM

So what is the best way to make a differance when you come across that. At restaurants that have them in teh lobby to finding something lik ethis disgusting site?

If everyone that was offended spoke up, people woudl be surprised how many people actually DO CARE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page