Animal Research (not testing) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-16-2011, 11:12 PM

kk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2011, 03:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't really know the worth of captive studies, although with insects I'm not really at liberty to comment. I have a friend that studies simian psychology, but all their most worthwhile research comes from observing them in the field, not the studies in zoos. I don't really understand what your research is about, however.
On a sidenote, reading lots of Donna Haraway for my dissertation, quite upsetting to read her rather blase accounts of testing on Rhesus monkeys.

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#3 Old 02-18-2011, 05:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, the thing that confuses me with insects is that... if they're stored in a big enough box with enough foliage, do they even know the difference? As long as they're not being provoked or forced to breed, I guess it's all right. If someone else with a background on this sort of thing or more info regarding insects came along, I'll cede to their knowledge though.
My dissertation is on the performance and representation of gender by AI and Transhuman characters in Cyberpunk, so the simian research is really only mentioned in Haraway, not something that I actually have to make much use of beyond defining the cyborg by the unnatural/natural divide. And wow, those papers sound disturbing D:

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I have many pets and I try to recreate their natural habitats as well as possible. Many of these pets are arthropods.

When you have an animal like an insect or a spider, you have to remember that they do not have quite as big of an intellect as they do a library of complex instincts that will carry them to their ultimate goal - to breed and further the species. After keeping and watching them my entire life, I notice that insects tend to rely less on problem solving and thinking than they do basic computations that have been given to them over the years of trial and error that their species have endured. They will mish-mash some of their more simple solutions to create ways to overcome obstacles, while still maintaining the emotions and characteristics that are associated with animals in general.

What this all boils down to is, if everything looks familiar to you, you have a good source of food and water just like you did before you randomly were taken out of your habitat and "put back into" it, and the only thing that seems to be different are large glass walls that you can't climb over or figure out what to do with, you usually decide to ignore it, and walk away, and the next time you find it you go "huh" and decide to ignore it again.

And if you do manage to climb it, you'd relate it to a tree or something of the like, and just sort of assume you were surrounded on all sides by trees, but considering there are the resources you need to survive and reach your ultimate goal, you'd go "huh, trees, big whoop" and continue with whatever it was you were doing before you encountered the walls.

I maintain that insects are in fact intelligent, and do experience emotions, but they are more simplistic than other animals, say, cows or pigs or humans, who would sense something awry if they were randomly picked from one habitat and placed into another. They rely more on instinct and simple problem-solving techniques than emotion or drawn-out thinking as some of the more "intelligent" species do. So if the animals are not being harmed, and they are being treated properly, I find nothing wrong with a few months of behavioral research.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#5 Old 02-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

*SNIP*

Sorry to trim the big quotation, just want to say that you put it very well and that it certainly made me feel like my guesswork was vaguely right :3 I was half expecting the vegan police to come beat me for inferring insects wouldn't notice captivity :P

#6 Old 02-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Heh, thanks :P I may only be fourteen but I have had a huge obsession with insects since I was a little kid, and have kept enough of them and become good at keeping them to know a bit about their behaviors and mentality. Very interesting animals.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page