Fur, feathers are trends for fall - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

"Designers draw inspiration from the animal world"

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/News....ap/index.html

This saddens me. I've always been a big fan of fashion, fashion as art, and fashion photography. I myself recently learned a personal lesson from the allures of a fur look cloaked in the illusion of great design. Just when I think the tides have changed, they have only reverted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-14-2004, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Some "inspiration"
#3 Old 02-14-2004, 02:01 PM

Just knowing what that red velvet coat has on it makes it ugly to me. Funny that if it were vegan I would find it beautiful.

I just don't understand what kind of people still want to buy fur. It amazes me because I very rarely see anyone wearing it around here. Now leather, everyone here seems to have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

They've been trumpeting the "grand return" of fur, suede and skins every fall for at least five years now.

Seems like an industry ploy to boost sales to me.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#5 Old 02-14-2004, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

They've been trumpeting the "grand return" of fur, suede and skins every fall for at least five years now.

Seems like an industry ploy to boost sales to me.

That's a really good point, peace!
#6 Old 02-15-2004, 12:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't believe people still want fur. It does seem discouraging. Well at least, living in a warm climate, I don't have to see anyone wearing it, but that doesn't do anything to help the furry animals...
#7 Old 02-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

That reminds me....a few weeks ago we had a cold front reach South Florida so the low temps were in the 40's & 50's. My fiance and I were waiting to be seated at our vegan restaurant owned by the president of the ARFF (Animal Rights Foundation of Florida). Out comes this woman dressed in head to toe fur - the coat, hat, everything. We just sat there with our mouths hanging open because not only is it weird to see such attire in South Florida, but because the lady had the audacity to wear it - and to Sublime of all places! We were surprised Nancy (the owner) didn't personally throw the woman out on her ass.
#8 Old 02-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

What an awesome restaurant, VK! I wish we had a similar place here.
#9 Old 02-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

MV, I could eat my 3 square meals there seven days a week. Awesome isn't even the word! I'll tell ya, Ft. Lauderdale is a huge restaurant town and Sublime goes toe to toe with the best of them. Not just from a quality of the cuisine standpoint, but the size of the crowd it draws. On a regular night, expect to wait anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 1/2 hours for a table.
#10 Old 02-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

If the place VK mentioned is the one which I vaguely remember being mentioned - the one in which the profits would go to animal charities, in which there was food being grown organically on the roof, etc. - then it's indeed unimaginably great. (I might have dreamt all this, I dunno, hehe.)

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#11 Old 02-15-2004, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

If the place VK mentioned is the one which I vaguely remember being mentioned - the one in which the profits would go to animal charities, in which there was food being grown organically on the roof, etc. - then it's indeed unimaginably great. (I might have dreamt all this, I dunno, hehe.)

Yes, that is the one. I've mentioned Sublime here many times because I am in
#12 Old 02-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Hehe...My wife and I might have to vacation in FL just to go to Sublime.
#13 Old 02-16-2004, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

A fellow diva was caressing the fur collar of another diva's diva coat the other day, saying "it's so soft". The coat bearing diva said, with an ashamed, frowny kind of face "I think it's real..." Clearly, she realizes what's wrong with it. It seems like the logic is "if it's popular, it must be o.k." RARRR!!!!
#14 Old 02-16-2004, 12:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Its depressing, I was in NY today and I saw so many women (and a few men) with fur coats. Full fur coats! I had the sudden urge to go and attack one of them. Luckily my mom hald me back.

The sad thing is, my grandfather was a furrier and thats where the money to pay for my college education is going to come from, oh well, whats done is done.
#15 Old 02-16-2004, 12:44 AM

Fur was helped by the Saga company giving designers free tours and samples to new designers.

Also--Peta and other groups started to move to other areas and concentrated less on fur.

Fake and recycled fur also made it less attractive for protestors to harass people

And many of the full length customers--especially among celebrities, are black, hispanic or asian. Just an observation.

Plus, the economic boom in Asia created a new market for fur.

I would say the real test is what you see on tv and in movies. How many "good" characters are shown wearing it in any great degree--and if so, is it even mentioned.

It definitely hasnt gone back to the way it was in the 1980s.
#16 Old 02-16-2004, 01:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieKitten View Post

MV, I could eat my 3 square meals there seven days a week. Awesome isn't even the word! I'll tell ya, Ft. Lauderdale is a huge restaurant town and Sublime goes toe to toe with the best of them. Not just from a quality of the cuisine standpoint, but the size of the crowd it draws. On a regular night, expect to wait anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 1/2 hours for a table.

I went there last fall. The food was okay, but I thought the service sucked. I won't be back.
#17 Old 02-16-2004, 01:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebler View Post

Fur

And many of the full length customers--especially among celebrities, are black, hispanic or asian. Just an observation.

Your point?
#18 Old 02-16-2004, 07:07 AM

For one thing, Animal rights and environmentalism in North America is mostly a white phenomenon (I have read it being an english language issue as well though that's debateable). Traditionally black, hispanics and asians were shunned from such displays of material wealth, or economically prevented from doing so. This, and an attitude that poverty, racism and the history of racism justifies they take no interest in animal rights or environmentalism. Its also like they are saying "if you say anything about my fur coat you are a racist."

Its also one reason the fur industry emphasized indian trapping in their promotions of the early 90s--even though trappers are 1 percent of the suppliers, they felt that by using this angle it would make people think: "oh fur is bad but indians suffered so badly under colonial times I will just let them do what they want. If I say anything I am a racist."
#19 Old 02-16-2004, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't follow
#20 Old 02-16-2004, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

I went there last fall. The food was okay, but I thought the service sucked. I won't be back.

Aaah, come to Ft. Lauderdale regularly, do you? I think since they just opened July of last year the needed to work out some gliches, as with any place. I actually posted about it here a while ago, that my first experience or two wasn't great (especially with the service) but I went back a couple of months later to give it another shot and it had greatly improved.
#21 Old 02-16-2004, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Notice how the furs are dyed extremely unnatural colors. Denial maybe?
#22 Old 02-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I don't follow

I don't either. I think it may be because he doesn't actually have a point.
#23 Old 02-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:

Aaah, come to Ft. Lauderdale regularly, do you? I think since they just opened July of last year the needed to work out some gliches, as with any place. I actually posted about it here a while ago, that my first experience or two wasn't great (especially with the service) but I went back a couple of months later to give it another shot and it had greatly improved.

Not real regular. I was there a lot this fall and back for a week in January. I work down there from time to time. I might be back down next fall, or it may be another 2 years.

I went to Sublime in October, and didn't bother to hit it again on either of my next 3 trips. I might try it again next time since you say it may have improved. Bad service drives me away fast.
#24 Old 02-16-2004, 10:21 AM

Sorry fellows--but writing in monosyllables isnt my style--so I cant help you out any better on it.

#25 Old 02-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

How pretentious.
#26 Old 02-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

For one thing, Animal rights and environmentalism in North America is mostly a white phenomenon (I have read it being an english language issue as well though that's debateable). Traditionally black, hispanics and asians were shunned from such displays of material wealth, or economically prevented from doing so. This, and an attitude that poverty, racism and the history of racism justifies they take no interest in animal rights or environmentalism. Its also like they are saying "if you say anything about my fur coat you are a racist."

I understand what you're trying to explain here, however, the philosophy seems a bit off. I've not heard of this angle before but I also haven't done any extensive reading on the history of AR and environmentalism. In this time and day, just from my own mere little observations, AW, AR and concern for the environment knows no racial boundaries. And futhermore, even if it were predominantly white people that set these movements into fruition the causes have absolutely nothing to do with race. This is the part I don't get.
#27 Old 02-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think what he (or she) is saying is sort of this:

1- black etc minority have always been to poor to show off stuff like fur.

2- if black etc minority's did have the money to show off, they weren't encouraged by others to do so.

The part of the attitude, I don't get it completely.

But I suppose the intention is that minority's tend to scream "racism" when critizised. I don't think whole groups do this, though I have seen individuals use this argument when they receive comments.

I must say that I haven't seen much "non-whities" at AR events.

Maybe they are too smart for that ?
#28 Old 02-16-2004, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vegan View Post

I think what he (or she) is saying is sort of this:

1- black etc minority have always been to poor to show off stuff like fur.

2- if black etc minority's did have the money to show off, they weren't encouraged by others to do so.

The part of the attitude, I don't get it completely.

**Historically--blacks, asians and other non white races were accused of being subhuman--animals. In fact--many of the arguments used to justify negro slavery and the treatment of non whites was passed over into the arguments used against animal rights. At http://animalvegfaq.tripod.com I have used historical quotes from non ar-veg sites to back this up. Examples would be saying that blacks dont have souls, they dont feel pain, or that they are better off in captivity than in the jungle. Its really quite astounding how similar the arguments are to those used to defend circuses etc--James Boswell, a noted English writer, makes this case--I can quote it chapter and verse if you like..

I am not suggesting that everyone who is black or asian or latino who wears fur is thinking of these things--of course not. People can be indifferent or stupid as well.

But on the issue of fur--there was a recent article in the NYT (january 2004) saying that younger women were wearing fur. They had photos with the article. Only one was white and she was about 40(I expect that some women who may not have considered wearing fur in their twenties would feel more self conscious about their appearance later on and do so). It may still be archived. You can see for yourself. The others, in the photos were black and asian--and greek. Or go to furs.com and check the celebrity archives. Or go to http://members.boardhost.com/mikhail...tml?1070986194

this is a fur fetish site forum, and check out this discussions on celebrities. They mention celebrity sightings--Jennifer Lopez, Lisa Guerrero, Missy Elliot, etc. Or go to http://entertainment.excite.com/

and click on the picture of the woman that is wearing the fur coat. White?

Maybe its just a big coincidence. shrug

As for your suggestion that they may be too smart for attending animal rights events--maybe you could elaborate?
#29 Old 02-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I see a heck of a lot of fur at chain boutiques like Bebe and Guess. These stores cater to the 18-35 year old caucasian female market.
#30 Old 02-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I see a heck of a lot of fur at chain boutiques like Bebe and Guess. These stores cater to the 18-35 year old caucasian female market.

Yes, I've also seen an increase in the amount of fur popping up in local stores as well as seeing alot more folks this winter wearing fur jackets, mittens, and fur lined stuff moreso than in previous years. Predominantly, it is the women who are wearing these items moreso than men, although I see more men this year wearing fur items too.

It "might" be partly due, I am guessing, to the cold weather we've been having this winter. Who knows. It just seems more popular this year.

ETA: also along this topic, what I've really seen this winter is a huge push on down-filled items such as gloves, bootliners, comforters/duvet's. I don't think a day goes by where i do not see some ad in a window for something down-filled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page