Is this a good idea (moving to a smaller apartment)? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

For a brief moment recently I was thinking of moving to a smaller apartment. Most of the decent priced ones said cats were allowed but they needed to be de-clawed. I think de-clawing cats is inhumane and should be illegal. I then got the idea of typing up some kind of letter to give to these apartment communities that listed all the facts about de-clawing cats and by saying it is required is the same thing as saying "If you want to live here with a cat you need to mutilate it."

Would doing this be good to do??

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Honestly I think if you're looking to LIVE there you should probably approach it a little bit less extreme.
Like don't say
Quote:
"If you want to live here with a cat you need to mutilate it."

That's a bit much.
Maybe if you include that you will get a scratching post or make sure to frequently cut their nails or have other sorts of things to keep the scratching to a minimum that would be better. You should still include why declawing cats is inhumane but don't approach it that way as to not piss off the people who you'd be renting the apartment from..
#3 Old 09-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisprex View Post

Honestly I think if you're looking to LIVE there you should probably approach it a little bit less extreme.
Like don't say
That's a bit much.
Maybe if you include that you will get a scratching post or make sure to frequently cut their nails or have other sorts of things to keep the scratching to a minimum that would be better. You should still include why declawing cats is inhumane but don't approach it that way as to not piss off the people who you'd be renting the apartment from..

I won't be living at these places. I decided to stay at my current place. I really would have to word it carefully so it is not just tossed in the trash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-02-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpacker View Post

I won't be living at these places. I decided to stay at my current place. I really would have to word it carefully so it is not just tossed in the trash.

Haha yeah that's what I was suggesting. A lot of people that aren't so in to animal rights kind of toss it out if it's attacking them too much. I'm thinking about writing a letter to my local super market about selling live lobsters but I'm still taking a lot of time into thinking about how I can word it without them completely disregard it and to get them to actually think and consider it. :P
How many cats do you have? n__n
#5 Old 09-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisprex View Post

Haha yeah that's what I was suggesting. A lot of people that aren't so in to animal rights kind of toss it out if it's attacking them too much. I'm thinking about writing a letter to my local super market about selling live lobsters but I'm still taking a lot of time into thinking about how I can word it without them completely disregard it and to get them to actually think and consider it. :P
How many cats do you have? n__n

I live with one cat. Her name is Kitta and she totally controls me. She acts like I'm her pet and gets frustrated when I don't adhere to the training she gave me.

I'm thinking I can put in the letter all the alternatives to de-clawing and that cats can be trained to only scratch their post. This letter must be eloquent.

#6 Old 09-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I live with one cat. Her name is Kitta and she totally controls me. She acts like I'm her pet and gets frustrated when I don't adhere to the training she gave me.

I'm thinking I can put in the letter all the alternatives to de-clawing and that cats can be trained to only scratch their post. This letter must be eloquent.

It is important to note that many cat shelters have adoptive parents sign a form where they promise not to de-claw the adopted cat, as de-clawing is inhumane. The no-kill cat shelter where my cat is from had such a policy.
#7 Old 09-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Would doing this be good to do??

Yes. I say go for it. The more factual (with sources) you can make your letter, the better.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#8 Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Yes. I say go for it. The more factual (with sources) you can make your letter, the better.

Cool! I will get started with compiling the information and forming the letter. When I get finished with the first draft would you guys mind looking it over for me?

#9 Old 09-03-2010, 05:40 AM
Veggie Regular

They just say that. They never check to see if the cats are actually declawed.
#10 Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

They just say that. They never check to see if the cats are actually declawed.

Maybe, but I'm sure some people may go on ahead and do it..as if the apartment requirement is justification that it must be okay.
#11 Old 09-03-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Hahahaha.
That's how my cats are as well.

Goodluck on your letter, and I will have no problem looking over it for you as well ;D
#12 Old 09-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

After you write your letter, why not edit it and turn it into a letter to the editor for your local paper?
#13 Old 09-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

After you write your letter, why not edit it and turn it into a letter to the editor for your local paper?

Good idea.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#14 Old 09-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I really think that most people who advocate declawing cats simply don't understand how harmful it is. It was only a few years ago that I learned just how terrible the procedure is and how many problems it causes long-term, and I've lived with cats basically my entire life. So yes, I definitely think writing a letter is a good idea, and getting it published in your newspaper if you can. Maybe also include some tips on how to prevent kitties from scratching the furniture without resorting to de-clawing. Also, there are some good reasons not to de-claw cats that go beyond the cat's welfare: de-clawed cats often have behavioural issues and trouble with litterboxes (or so I've heard, you should research that first ) That might help give it a "win-win" feel.
#15 Old 09-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Definitely post a draft here. I'd be happy to look it over for you.
#16 Old 09-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm blanking on the actual sources right now but I know that there is a growing trend in vet med to move away from cosmetic procedures like docking, cropping, and declawing. I'm in Canada but I just sent in a stack of surveys from my clinic stating how the vets there do not support declawing, do not perform the procedure, and try to educate clients away from it. In past jobs I simply refused to assist with those procedures.

When dealing with clients who want to declaw I find it useful to go over the exact procedure (multiple amputations), aftercare (good pain meds similar to those used after fracture repairs, bandages, etc), and the possibility of future health/behavioural issues. Following that I give my mini lecture on alternatives such as nail trims, Soft Paws, multiple scratching posts, and scratching deterrents. Many people simply have no idea what is involved in a declaw and are horrified when they discover what the surgery actually involves.

I'd love to read your letter once you're done with it.
#17 Old 09-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Lots of people just associate it with trimming their nails or something.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#18 Old 09-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I think posting a draft here for critical review would be very helpful to you. Sometimes when you write a letter like this that you know only one or two people are going to read, you can come across a lot snarkier than intended. But writing it 'out in the open' for everyone to critique tends to help keep things more professional and conducive to getting positive results.
#19 Old 09-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd love to see it

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#20 Old 09-24-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Oh my gosh. You just described my cat perfectly. I think it's because I just give her whatever she wants at a whim...so she's gotten used to it. EVERY morning she wakes me up by scratching at the side of my bed and meowing. She wants fed, and then let out. And possibly attention. She meows constantly...so when there's nothing left to give her, I just figure she's meowing because she is so accustomed to meowing all the time. lol. But I still love the hell out of her :-p

On a side note, I know you already said you're not moving there, but the landlord manager originally told me to have my cat declawed when I signed the lease. I think it's inhumane as well, I mean, I wouldn't want someone to take my fingernails off o_o. Claws are natural. Declawing is wrong. End of story. So I just ignored them. I didn't do it, and I'd love to have someone complain to me about it. I'd give them my full 2 cents on the matter.
#21 Old 09-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I think a letter/information handout would be an excellent idea! Please post a draft

Once you have all the correct information, along with alteratives (don't forget soft paws),and benefits for the landlord ( some cats that are declawed develope behavior problems such as dont using the litterbox..which would ruin the carpet).

Also talk to your local vet clinics, some of the clinics here refuse to declaw and once you find the ones who oppose it ask them to perhaps endorse your letter or add additional information.

Once you are done with the letter you could mail them out to local apartments that require declawing and hopefully that will change their minds.

Just my 2 cents

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#22 Old 09-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Never understood why landlords don't allow cats. My cats scratch MY furniture, and have never damaged any part of the structure of the apt. They don't scratch floors or walls or fixtures, so what the hell do these people think a small furry ball of love is going to do to their outdated rundown crappy apartments?! The human occupants cause a million times more damage in my opinion. Maybe apartments should be rented out to cats instead?

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#23 Old 09-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

LOL I think it has to do with carpeting in some apartments. Aside from that reason I don't get the logic of not allowing cats. I paid 600 dollars for my cats (all 3 of em) to live with me. It's non refundable and if my cats do damage anything they will take it out of my damage deposit! silly, yes.. but I still accepted so I could have my little ones with me

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#24 Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM
mlp
Banned

I've never seen the logic of landlords requiring declawing - as someone said, they claw the furniture. None of mine have ever damaged carpeting with their claws. Of the dozens of cats I've lived with, only one clawed at the drywall - my Kate. Annd now, in this house, several of the do work onn the wood trim, but that's because it's real pine - no cat is interested in the composite stuff they use for trim in rental places of most any house built after the 60's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page