Matt Ball "who here thinks that's enough?" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-27-2010, 05:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I know you guys have noticed by now I'm kinda big on vegan outreach lol

I promise not to post TOO many threads about it, but this latest blog post of theirs has some really interesting points to make about where activists choose to spend our time and money:

vo blog

A snippet for an example

Quote:
For all the suffering in the world, why are we so focused on the gulf? I see three reasons:

1. The media has made the gulf disaster very visible. For the vast majority of people, out of sight means out of mind, but the pelicans in the gulf have a very high profile.

2. As horrible as everything is in the gulf, the number of animals visibly affected is relatively small. People see several birds and turtles and can wrap their brain around the plight of those individuals.

3. Three words: “Not my fault.

Tam! RUGH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2010, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

But the gulf spill is our fault. Whether people like it or not, BP is simply a corporation fulfilling a demand.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#3 Old 07-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Ankle Biter

I liked the article - thanks for posting! I especially like Matt's optimism about how easy it is do just a little bit more and make a huge difference in the lives of so many animals.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

This is excellent. We really need to train ourselves so that we have those catchy "10 second" soundbites of truth. It's a real skill to bring up this topic in a way that quickly captures attention and moves the conversation to what we can do, as stated above ..not eat animals... and do it in a way that does not sound like we are condemning them.

I really need alot of coaching with this, but one of the things I let people know quickly when I can and the issue is about to be dismissed is that I used to be a big meat eater "macho meat eater" and laugh at my friend who ate sprouts, calling it grass, then I ended up eating grass! Usually this cuts the tension and they laugh. Then I slip in some health benefit I get since I'm vegetarian or something about as a kid never wanting to eat animals.

Does anyone want to make up "quick scripts" we can use to help give people a moment of pause? i.e. different ones for different opportunities which arise to bring up the topic?
#5 Old 09-01-2012, 12:18 PM

Good article. Thanks for posting!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page