We rescued my neighbor's abused dog - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-23-2004, 10:23 AM
Beginner

Now I've mentioned this ordeal before, but to recap: I live in a small hick college town in north FL. I've got a neighbor who's an older fella, in his 60's or so, that comes home fubar-ed (wasted) 5 nights a week. We live on a quiet rural road, my mates and I in one house and his is about 50 meters away. We're often out on the porch at night, smoking fags, drinking ale and what not, and hear this geezer outside yelling at his poor dog and sometimes kicking him or slapping him as he is chained to the tree in on the front lawn. Now I've called the authorities, I've been down to the house and talked to the wife, complained, everything short of going over there and kickin the guys @ss.

The last time I went over there I said to the wife that if I saw the dog outside when it is too cold (and it has been lately) or if I heard her husband mistreat him once more, that I would take that dog. The poor dog is a 10 year old bassett hound named Gus.

So sure enough 2 nights ago, it was bloody cold out but the dog was inside. My mate and I stepped out on the porch for a quick smoke and suddenly we hear the old fart yelling and carrying on in a stupor, draggin the dog out of the house by the collar, and then chained him to the tree. Immediately we walked on over there. But that time the guy staggered on back in the house, but we unchained Gus and took him back to my place. He happens to get on quite well with the other dog I adopted (so maybe he;ll stop eating cat turds). So the next morning I went straight over to the house and said to the wife that we had Gus and won't give him back. So now it'll be interestng to see what happens. She's a passive little lady and said she understood but that Cliff is upset that the dog's gone. I told her we had video of the abuses too, and so far we have heard nothing from that old *******.

I will say, they'll have to take me to jail before i give up this poor dog. He's obviously intimdated by people, backs off with his tail between his legs. He looks well fed though. But he is a sad, sad pup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2004, 07:16 PM

Good job
#3 Old 01-23-2004, 07:20 PM

You are an angel

Good for you (and Gus)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-23-2004, 07:25 PM

good job! i'm grateful for you.
#5 Old 01-23-2004, 07:28 PM

aer you going to keep the dog if you dont hear from cliff?
#6 Old 01-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

You go! I don't have the balls to confront people like that. Has the guy come over to say anything?
#7 Old 01-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

good job
#8 Old 01-24-2004, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad that you rescued Gus. It's people like you who make all the difference.
#9 Old 01-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

That was a brave thing you did. I bet since you said you had video, he might think twice before trying to make a big deal over it.

In my parents neighborhood something similar happened. These people had these dogs locked up in the car, so the neighbor called the cops, had them removed, and now the neighbor owns them.
#10 Old 01-24-2004, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Please keep us posted. I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

Do you really have a video?
#11 Old 01-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you think he'll just get another dog?
#12 Old 01-25-2004, 03:27 AM

Well done for rescuing Gus

The world needs more people like you!

Laura
#13 Old 01-25-2004, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

PeeWee, I remember the times you've talked about this SOB. I'm glad you did what you did. Good luck. I hope Gus is never returned to that man and abused again.
#14 Old 01-25-2004, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Maximum Respect!
#15 Old 01-25-2004, 04:54 PM

you're SO awesome!
#16 Old 01-25-2004, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Good!! That's awesome of you!

Any updates?
#17 Old 01-26-2004, 05:26 AM
Veggie Regular

fantastic !
#18 Old 01-26-2004, 03:15 PM
Beginner

Well everyone, here is my update. If you can believe it, old man Cliff didn't come looking for Gus until yesterday morning. He woke up my mate at 7:00 am and then I woke up hearing the commotion at the front door and Bruce (my other dog) kept on barking. Basically Randy (mate) was telling Cliff to get lost, that we weren't giving back Gus cause he had no business owning an animal. By the time I got to the door Cliff was hollering "Don't yall tell me what to do with MY dawg, that there's my damn dawg!". So I said, "Sorry, he's not your dog anymore. He doesn't ask to be beaten and dragged around by the collar and chained to the tree. How would you like it if someone did that to you." The dude just went off, yelling and screaming. He pretty much threatened to go down and get his shot gun and we told him to go ahead. We called the cops and a sheriff came over. Not only that, but wouldn't you know it, a k-9 unit! We showed him the video and told him what had happened that morning and the other night and why we would not give Gus back. The sheriff was totally sympathetic and said that based on the video evidence and our witnesses, proper legal channels have to be followed. Animal control had to be called to take Gus on grounds of animal abuse. Meanwhile, Cliff was arrested and brought in for misdemeanor animal cruelty, which I have learned he is denying all the way and will plead not guilty . Once Gus is processed and all, after 48 hours, we could go down there and adopt him. But if Cliff is found not guilty (which I cannot see how since we have several witnesses plus video) he could try to sue to get him back. Right now, we are all just looking forward to going down to animal control tomorrow evening to bring Gus home.
#19 Old 01-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, you really did have video evidence! I am so impressed.

I hope you get Gus soon. I know he'll finally be happy to have a real home. : )
#20 Old 01-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

You absolutely ROCK!!!
#21 Old 01-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Pants - that's a great story! Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone who has the opportunity to do what you did - actually did it.

I just hope that man doesn't get himself another dog.......
#22 Old 01-26-2004, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Your something to aspire to Mr.P!
#23 Old 01-27-2004, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Very good job! Gus is so lucky to have you.

I've dog-napped two dogs in my lifetime. The first I took to a shelter (I was still living with my parents at the time and not in a position to keep the dog, or I would have) but the goofy old lady in charge gave the dog back to it's so-called owners even though they missed the deadline to pick it up. She could've made them go through the adoption process, which they wouldn't have bothered with because it would cost them a little money, plus they never would've passed the home follow-up visits the shelter claims they do with every adopted pet, but she handed the dog back over because "they looked like such nice people. He had a white suit on and everything." No one told me that a guy that wears a white suit can't abuse and neglect a dog. The dog was rail thin, not given proper shelter in the winter, chained to ground covered in torn up pop cans and other junk (these people were slobs) - yet he wore a white suit, so she just handed the dog back. They had gone on vacation and not made arrangements to have the dog properly looked after, yet that didn't factor into the situation. It still pisses me off after all these years.

The second time I was living on my own and kept "Bear."

Good luck to you and Gus. Again - job well done! You are my new hero!
#24 Old 01-28-2004, 03:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Excellent work!!!

Good on you.
#25 Old 01-30-2004, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay for PWP!
#26 Old 02-03-2004, 09:09 AM

Good job,That poor dog i see them outside in the cold weather out here in WY out on leash its terrible!
#27 Old 02-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Beginner

Well, it has been a bit crazy for the last week. My mates and I went and picked up Gus last week so he is home with us. They treated him very well at the control centre since the people working there knew the circumstances. The good news is that he was mostly physically in good shape, just timid at times and very, very afraid of certain types of men. Now here's the doozer. The old man next door has been in the hospital for the last week after having a stroke. Apparently he's in pretty bad shape. There are now family members staying next door, none of whom have inquired about Gus, not even the wife. Well, I guess they've got the old ******* to worry about right now but what comes around goes around so as you can tell i'm not feeling very sorry for him. It's a pleasure to have Gus around. My cat Turbo seems releaved that my other mentally stirred dog, Bruce, is leaving her alone and chumming up with Gus. Turbo seems to like Gus, she hasn't slapped him in the head yet .
#28 Old 02-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

You've done a wonderful thing, PWP.

Give Gus a big hug and kiss for me.
#29 Old 02-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been following the story ... great to hear that Gus is with you, and that Bruce likes him!

Maybe the last era of his life will be his happiest!!
#30 Old 02-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

You're story is so heart-warming!!

You really are terrific for doing all of this for Gus!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page