Pet Stores? [selling animals, and puppymills] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey guys, I dunno if this is in the right spot. I just have a question. So today I went to a mall I've never been to (I go to college in an area I'm not familiar with) and some friends and I spotted a pet store in the mall. I was a little skeptical but we went in there. We saw rabbits and a lot of rats in little cages (you could tell that none of them had been adopted, there were so many of them). There was one mouse and a lot of guinea pigs and also a lot of betta fish. There were also a ton of birds, with such small cages! They had no room to fly around at all. This pained me enough, and that was all before I even reached the puppies...

Omg, it killed me. There were so many different breeds of puppies in such small cages!!! The floors they were on had little holes in them that must hurt the dogs' paws, and there were so many people and children pointing and tapping on the glass walls into the cages. I felt absolutely AWFUL! Many of the puppies were just sleeping, doing nothing. I saw one that was coughing, looking a bit sick. Many of the pups didn't have blankets or toys in their cages, but some did. I just felt awful for those pups cuz of their tiny cages stacked on top of each other.

I was wondering though, where do those puppies come from? I don't really know much about that stuff. I know a little bit about puppy mills and does anyone know if it's likely that those dogs did come from puppy mills? What exactly happens in puppy mills in detail? I know that they just breed a lot of dogs and then sell them to places, but where do they go and where do the puppies in Petsmart, Petco and places like those pet stores in the mall come from? Sorry for the depressing topic, but I'd like to know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2010, 01:56 AM

It's horrible. Many pet shops where I live have the ugliest conditions.

Have a look at this link to know more about puppy mills:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_mill

I watched a video about it which gives you a much clearer image about what is going on there. I'm sure youtube has some if you have the heart to watch.
#3 Old 02-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, almost all puppies sold in pet shops come from puppy mills.

Animal welfare groups encourage people to boycott any pet stores that sell puppies for this reason. Visit:

www.stoppuppymills.org

slops, gloops, and gruels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Lots of petstores with puppies get them from puppy mills or giant kennels. It's really sad actually.

^Cool story, bro
#5 Old 03-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Beginner

I'd venture to say almost any puppy in a pet store is from a mill. Im sure there are exceptions but I expect they are few and far between : (
#6 Old 03-02-2010, 05:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Are you still allowed to sell puppies in pet shops?

I think that in the UK atleast you're not allowed to sell puppies or kittens anymore. Atleast when I found out the pet shop near me was selling kittens, I reported it and they were closed down lol
#7 Old 03-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, in the US at least there is still a considerably large market for pet store puppies. Powerful lobby groups, including the American Kennel Club, fight to keep the status quo.

#8 Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

The only pet store around here is Petsmart. They mostly seem to be well-informed and take pretty good care of the small animals they have. They also always sponsor cat/dog adoption drives on the weekends for local animal rescue groups.
#9 Old 03-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

The only pet store around here is Petsmart. They mostly seem to be well-informed and take pretty good care of the small animals they have. They also always sponsor cat/dog adoption drives on the weekends for local animal rescue groups.

I see it as a good thing that "big box", non-cat-and-dog-selling stores like PetSmart and Petco are pushing many of the smaller puppy stores out of business. But there are still chains (like the infamous Petland) and countless mom-and-pop pet stores that deal in mill puppies.

#10 Old 03-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

I see it as a good thing that "big box", non-cat-and-dog-selling stores like PetSmart and Petco are pushing many of the smaller puppy stores out of business. But there are still chains (like the infamous Petland) and countless mom-and-pop pet stores that deal in mill puppies.

I actually see stores like Petsmart and Petco as a good thing as well, because it seems like it's the "mom and pop" stores that have the most abysmal animal care standards in comparison.
#11 Old 03-02-2010, 02:03 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

I actually see stores like Petsmart and Petco as a good thing as well, because it seems like it's the "mom and pop" stores that have the most abysmal animal care standards in comparison.

Agreed.

For the poster above, who asked about puppies at Petsmart and Petco - these two chains do NOT sell cats or dogs, although they sell fish, rodents, smaller birds, and some reptiles. They both have areas set aside for the adoption of rescue cats and dogs, and on the weekends, various rescue groups will bring animals in, hoping to adopt them out. (The local Petco features rescued rabbits as well.)

It is for this reason that I do not frequent any pet store other than Petsmart and Petco.

Any halfway decent breeder would not sell animals through a pet shop. It's pretty much guaranteed that any puppy or kitten that you see for sale in a pet shop is from a puppy mill or backyard breeder.
#12 Old 03-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

If I wanted to buy food for a companion animal, and I would have to get it from a pet store, a store that sells animals (including birds and lizards and small mammals), I would have a bad conscience over it, and it would feel horrible to me to see the animals inside. (And this in a country where, as far as I know, cats and dogs aren't being sold at pet stores at all, and some animal welfare regulations are stricter than in the US.)

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#13 Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

If I wanted to buy food for a companion animal, and I would have to get it from a pet store, a store that sells animals (including birds and lizards and small mammals), I would have a bad conscience over it, and it would feel horrible to me to see the animals inside. (And this in a country where, as far as I know, cats and dogs aren't being sold at pet stores at all, and some animal welfare regulations are stricter than in the US.)

Sometimes it's a matter of not much choice. I buy a premium pellet food for the birds at the closest avian vet. Food for the cats (and for the dogs, to the extent that I feed them dry, i.e., emergency rations) I buy from a plant nursery that happens to be the retailer for the brand I like. Litter, and less expensive cat food (for the strays that I feed outside) I buy at Sam's, because I go through massive quantities of each. Decent quality fish food and certain bird seeds and treats I can only buy at a pet store or online. The same for the enzymatic cleaners I need, and the special cat litter I need for some of the cats. Shipping on the cleaners and litter, if I had to buy it online, would make it cost prohibitive, in the quantities I need.

Petco and Petsmart are a step in the right direction, although they're not perfect. For that reason, I'm O.K. with giving them some of my business.

After all, most veg*ns buy at least some of their groceries in stores that sell meat - that's not perfect either.
#14 Old 03-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I shop at Petsmart because it's somewhere I can easily get pre-killed, frozen mice for my snake. Otherwise I don't really buy anything there, other than the occasional collar or ID tag (since they have a laser kiosk).
#15 Old 03-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I think Petco might be considering ending live animal sales. I took a phone survey from my reciept and one of the questions was whether I thought live animal sales were "important" to my shopping experience.

#16 Old 03-03-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:

I think Petco might be considering ending live animal sales. I took a phone survey from my reciept and one of the questions was whether I thought live animal sales were "important" to my shopping experience.

#17 Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Oh my god, that would be fantastic! I haven't been to a petstore that sells animals in years because every thing I need that would be too expensive to have shipped(ie:food) I can get at either the natural petfood store or the local supplies only shops, but it would be nice to be able to have another option in case the local stores don't have what I need!

But, to those who suggested larger shops like Petco or Petsmart are "better", what about all the rodents they sell? Is that okay? Those come from mills as well, and are treated just as poorly as cats or dogs. Petstores also generally know crap about their proper care as well.

A small petstore near us sells puppies and rodents from "local breeders". GAH, I hate it! It makes me sad whenever I go buy
#18 Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinymuffins View Post

But, to those who suggested larger shops like Petco or Petsmart are "better", what about all the rodents they sell? Is that okay? Those come from mills as well, and are treated just as poorly as cats or dogs. Petstores also generally know crap about their proper care as well.

No, it's not okay. To say that they are "better" than the pet stores that sell puppies and kittens in addition to smaller animals is not the same as saying it's "okay."
#19 Old 03-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow thanks a lot guys for all the info! I appreciate it, this has helped me learn a lot more than I knew already. The only thing involves domestic animals I've seen was from Earthlings and PETA's underground investigations.
#20 Old 03-03-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

No, it's not okay. To say that they are "better" than the pet stores that sell puppies and kittens in addition to smaller animals is not the same as saying it's "okay."

But how is selling puppies and kittens any worse than selling any animal period?
#21 Old 03-03-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:

But how is selling puppies and kittens any worse than selling any animal period?

I think she's saying it's "better" because they have less animals, maybe the lesser of the two evils?

I really hope petco stops selling live animals, that would be awesome! I'd go there all the time!
#22 Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:

Again, no one said it was. However, not selling puppies or kittens is a step in the right direction, just as someone who decides that they will eat vegetarian every other day is a step in the right direction. Helping homeless cats and dogs find adoptive homes, by setting apart a portion of each store to rescue groups, is an even bigger step in the right direction.
#23 Old 03-04-2010, 01:13 AM

OP, there's an episode of Animal Cops called "Puppy Mills Exposed." I can't find video for it but I recommend watching it if you can ever catch it on TV. They show real puppy mills, animals rescued from them and explain how some pet stores get around saying that's where their puppies come from because they use a middle man.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page