Croc Hunter...Very Very Bad Man - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw the news today with Steve and a baby in an encloser with a croc...shades of Michael Jackson! I never liked him much. I always felt he exploited animals...now I know I dont like him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Can you explain more? I don't understand. (Maybe because I don't watch?)
#3 Old 01-02-2004, 07:18 PM

I know that he has a good personality, so it would be hard not to like him ... if he weren't affiliated with a zoo & such.

But I think the whole "dangling-a-baby" thing is really no big deal.

I'm sure the baby was fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

On the news he was "performing" at the zoo. He had a baby in the enclosure with a croc..doing the dangle thing with the child.....I dont ee how that educates anyone about crocs. Ive allways felt he exploited animals to promote himself. I know alot of folks like him...but I dont get it.
#5 Old 01-02-2004, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...%255E2,00.html

He was holding his baby right near a crocodile, geez that would freak me out if I saw it, crocodile's scare me!
#6 Old 01-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I've always thought the croc hunter was a complete fruit loop looking to draw more attention to himself than animal education.
#7 Old 01-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

#8 Old 01-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

What an ass.
#9 Old 01-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

That show has always bothered me. It just seems like he disturbs animals for entertainment purposes. A real naturalist observes without interfering. Now there's one more reason not to like him.
#10 Old 01-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieKitten View Post

I've always thought the croc hunter was a complete fruit loop looking to draw more attention to himself than animal education.

If he weren't interesting no one would watch him.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 01-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

A real naturalist observes without interfering.

I thought he did. I mean I've seen him go out into the wild and it's not like he lassos (sp?) wild animals and drags them back to his zoo. On the other note while what he did was very Micheal jackson like he didn't dangle his baby over the crocs mouth, he simply brought it into the enclosure with the croc. As far as I know his little girl also participates when he feeds the animals (as does his wife). *shrug* His parents did the same thing with him. Must be where he gets it from. Really it's not the smartest thing he could have done.
#12 Old 01-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

The few shows I've watched he's poked, prodded and otherwise taunted crocs, picked up snakes, etc. I consider that interfering.
#13 Old 01-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

If he weren't interesting no one would watch him.

Well, yea, I suppose it could be interesting to watch a fruit loop wrestle large reptiles to the ground, waiting to see if he's gonna have his arm snapped off.
#14 Old 01-02-2004, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I think some people watch him like they watch a car race...waiting to see the big crash.!!!
#15 Old 01-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually think that he does allot for environmental/habitat conservation. He has bought up quite a few nature corridors up in Northern NSW and in South Coast QLD, that may otherwise just have become developed like everything else around there.

Yea, he does poke and prod snakes. No, he doesn't pull out a shovel and whack them over the head with it, not sure about everyone else, but having grown up in area where you do come across snakes in the summer, I am more prone to seeing the shovel, it is a nice change.

I'm not saying I agree with everything he does in the sense of it being harmless to animals, but he does do allot of work with relocating crocs here that would otherwise by hunted down and shot, and that is without knocking them unconcious first with drugs.

The inncident with his baby is unsettling.
#16 Old 01-02-2004, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, that probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. However, I'm guessing that since he's done this sort fo thing before he knew what he was doing and he had a lot of safety precautions in place that he just didn't let the media in on. It really doesn't seem as bad as that MJ stunt

As far as him and animal welfare, I'm with cheeno. He may poke and prod the snakes, crocs, and other wild animals but as far as I've seen it's nothing more than that. Hell, I'm sure the croc would rather be poked a few times and put back in its natural surroundings than shot through the head and made into an expensive pair of boots.
#17 Old 01-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to agree that having his baby with him while feeding a croc, was crazy!

His zoo has always been a refuge for the injured.
#18 Old 01-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

and for those unable to ever go back to their natural habitat (if it still exsists) due to years of abuse and/or captivity at the hands of others.
#19 Old 01-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Beginner

That guy is funny as hell. Donno if I'd go as far to say he does anything wrong to animals but you've gotta admit he's a few sandwiches short of a picnic. Bringing a baby around a croc? Now I think that is stupid, no matter how many precautions he might have taken.
#20 Old 01-02-2004, 10:59 PM
Meo
Veggie Regular

...I've only seen the Crocodile Hunter when he was on The Wiggles' "Wiggly Safari" video.
#21 Old 01-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I consider him as an allie and not as an enemy... He definitely helps a lot of animals and doesn't hurt any. And he hopefully sparks the interest / love for nature in many kids.

That baby incident which I just saw on TV, however, was pretty crazy. I realize that because of the camera angle, the croc seemed to be closer to him than it was in reality, and that Steve would have gotten himself between it and his son if anything would have happened, but still.... I didn't feel very good watching that footage.

If Jacko gets whacked for the dangling incident, then the Croc Hunter must be too, for this. I understand that there is an outcry in the media already, so I guess he won't do such a thing in the future.
#22 Old 01-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Veggie Regular

The title of this thread reminded me of the creepiest Twilight Zone ever.

"You're a bad man! A very bad man!"

*shivers*
#23 Old 01-03-2004, 12:24 AM
Banned

No-one understands Aussie society and culture; all new-borns are dangled near Crocs. It's tradition.
#24 Old 01-03-2004, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular

He donated all the profits from his movie to animals, ALL.

I think people are demonizing this man..he knows what hes doing and he loves it..people do all kinds of things that endanger childrens lives ..if you could follow them around with a camera..you get the point..i admit that it wasn't necessarily the best choice, but do you honestly think that this guy is a "bad man" i mean wtf..

he dives in and plays with the snakes etc because he loves them, he isnt harassing them anymore than any other animal walking by, and he actually tries to improve their habitat etc..he usually messes with crocs because they need the stimulation ...such as stalking their food....the only thing that i see crazy about him is that he tries so damn hard to help animals
#25 Old 01-03-2004, 04:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by schu View Post

I think people are demonizing this man..he knows what hes doing and he loves it..people do all kinds of things that endanger childrens lives ..if you could follow them around with a camera..you get the point..i admit that it wasn't necessarily the best choice, but do you honestly think that this guy is a "bad man" i mean wtf..

he dives in and plays with the snakes etc because he loves them, he isnt harassing them anymore than any other animal walking by, and he actually tries to improve their habitat etc..he usually messes with crocs because they need the stimulation ...such as stalking their food....the only thing that i see crazy about him is that he tries so damn hard to help animals

I agree with you Schu for the most part all but maybe harrassing but

animals need stimulation, so I can see how some coaxing and harranging

is necessary sometimes providing its for the good of the animal. He admitted he could have done things differently somehow but kids or anyone growing up in amidst crocs need to be croc savvy such as he said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post

I consider him as an allie and not as an enemy... He definitely helps a lot of animals and doesn't hurt any. And he hopefully sparks the interest / love for nature in many kids.

That baby incident which I just saw on TV, however, was pretty crazy. I realize that because of the camera angle, the croc seemed to be closer to him than it was in reality, and that Steve would have gotten himself between it and his son if anything would have happened, but still.... I didn't feel very good watching that footage.

If Jacko gets whacked for the dangling incident, then the Croc Hunter must be too, for this. I understand that there is an outcry in the media already, so I guess he won't do such a thing in the future.

I consider him an allie too and for anyone here to compare him to MJ is funny, but also very petty given that Steve Irwin is nothing like MJ...

(although a slight similarity of the nature OF INCIDENT is there, the mentality however is not comparable to that of Michael whatsoever).
#26 Old 01-03-2004, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, if the Crocodile Hunter is a very very bad man, I must be satan incarnate. Geez.
#27 Old 01-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Banned

Makes me think of the South Park episode about him...

"Watch me stick my thumb up this crocodile's bum!"
#28 Old 01-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by schu View Post

Okay, so he has done good by animals. I don't know much about the guy so I'll take many of your words for it. However, what he did with his baby was idiotic, stupid and careless. IMO, it is worse than what Michael Jackson did. This man put his own child in the middle of one of his spectacles involving an animal much more powerful than him. If that croc wanted that baby there wouldn't have been a damn thing anyone could do and he of all people should have sense to know that.

"People do all kinds of things that endanger children's lives". So that makes it okay? Do you have kids? I am a parent and most parents go out of their way to decease those dangers, Schu. No offense, but that was weak.
#29 Old 01-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddadragon View Post

I saw the news today with Steve and a baby in an encloser with a croc...shades of Michael Jackson! I never liked him much. I always felt he exploited animals...now I know I dont like him.

You really should work on your communication skills. I had no idea what this meant what-so-ever until I read the link.

I'm sure that he wouldn't put his kid there unless he absolutely felt that there wasn't a chance of an attack. He knows much more about these animals than most people do. This reminds me of when people come into my house for the first time and see my rats and freak out, running around screaming "MIKE OH MY GOD WHY DO YOU HAVE THOSE!" while at the same time my rats are watching the person from their cage thinking "what a crazy person" and I look at them and melt and wish they were running around my shoulders sniffing my ears and cuddling up on my lap.

In any case, I still don't think it's a good idea to put babies near crocodiles, as well as I don't think it's a good idea to put them in a rat's cage.
#30 Old 01-03-2004, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

This is slightly off-topic, but if Steve Irwin never did anything else wrong in his life, I will always consider him a fool for introducing Aussie PM John Howard on his show as the greatest leader Australia has ever had. How ridiculous - John Howard is evil!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page