Croc Hunter...Very Very Bad Man - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 01-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

When the not so positive comments aren't regarding Americans it's not so funny it appears....

This is not the time or place for such a discussion, so I will decline to respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 01-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

Camera play makes a huge deal in these things. The camera angles are meant to surprise and shock people.

I don't have a problem with what he did.

I've seen that footage from every camera angle they had and it looks the same from each angle to me.....slack parenting. Granted, he's slightly further away than it seems, but that doesn't change the fact that anything could've happened. I definately do have a problem with someone deliberately putting their baby into a potentially dangerous situation. No matter what kind of expert someone may claim to be with animals, the potential for harm is always there. So it's not fair when baby's and young children who are not old enough to make decisions about their own welfare/safety are put into those kinds of situations. It's not only dangerous, but exploitive too.

m8itcanw8.com
#93 Old 01-07-2004, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I found it a bit disturbing ... as others have said, the way he was holding the baby didn't seem right (crocodile aside).

I've always enjoyed Steve Irwin, though. Quite the play-it-up-to-the-max loony, but still funny and apparently doing quite a bit of good for the animals.

I dunno ... this seemed to push his "act" too far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 01-22-2004, 11:17 PM

Hey there

What's bad about the croc hunter is that he's a fake. Australians such as my husband despise him. In fact he is such an embarrasement in Australia that he isn't even on aussie tv there. His shows are made by Animal Planet which is american and air everywhere else but Australia.

The Aussie media busted him a few years ago and his show was taken off the air he was acussed of being a fraud and drugging crocs so he could do his silling stunts. The biggest one was the croc fight he staged were he was taunting an a old blind croc with a bladeless lawnmower. He plants drugged and otherwise old crocs and other animals in places and then pretends to rescue them. He has yet to let any reporters on his set after what happened with aussie news reporters, for fear of being caught out again. Ya I dont buy this guy, he has money at heart not animals.

#95 Old 01-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Administrator

So where does all the money go? Does he live in a mansion and drive fancy cars?

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#96 Old 01-22-2004, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schu View Post

He donated all the profits from his movie to animals, ALL.

I think people are demonizing this man..he knows what hes doing and he loves it..people do all kinds of things that endanger childrens lives ..if you could follow them around with a camera..you get the point..i admit that it wasn't necessarily the best choice, but do you honestly think that this guy is a "bad man" i mean wtf..

he dives in and plays with the snakes etc because he loves them, he isnt harassing them anymore than any other animal walking by, and he actually tries to improve their habitat etc..he usually messes with crocs because they need the stimulation ...such as stalking their food....the only thing that i see crazy about him is that he tries so damn hard to help animals

CRAP!

He is a fraud. Anyone who takes an animal away from their natural habitat and puts them in a zoo for profit, with little space to move and people disturbing them all day is an idiot. In no means does he help animals.
#97 Old 01-23-2004, 12:10 AM
Administrator

I don't completely buy that. What did he do before he made it big?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#98 Old 01-23-2004, 03:53 PM

so how do you all feel about countries like india and similar ones that live their lives with snakes? by that i mean they even put babies in pens to sleep with hundreds of snakes at a time. cobras, and all other sorts of poisonous snakes.i personally think that that is a lifestyle they have and arent intentionally abusing their children. the crocodile hunter has had this lifestyle forever and raises his children that way. to each his own, in my opinion.
#99 Old 01-23-2004, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't really buy that either. What is your source, LittleHottie?
#100 Old 01-24-2004, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybean View Post

so how do you all feel about countries like india and similar ones that live their lives with snakes? by that i mean they even put babies in pens to sleep with hundreds of snakes at a time.

Eh??

Um, maybe a very small band of wackos, but I hardly think that's a usual custom in India or in any "similar" country.
#101 Old 01-24-2004, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyK View Post

Eh??

Um, maybe a very small band of wackos, but I hardly think that's a usual custom in India or in any "similar" country.

im always seeing it on discovery channel and national geograpic so a bunch of people must be doing it to make so many stories about it
#102 Old 01-28-2004, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Alpaca Guy View Post

I don't really buy that either. What is your source, LittleHottie?

Well my family is australian and they do leave in australia. And my Australian husband told me about the croc hunter when he found out I watched it. I couldnt believe it myself but it was all over the news in Australia, the first year his show aired in Australia. And it is no longer aired on australian tv, due to low ratings and the incident where a news station had undercover video tape of him. He does not allow any one other then animal planet cameras onto his set. This is a known fact. Its all over the internet, at least it was. Because when my husband told me about it 3 years ago I didnt believe him either and I went on the net to confirm this.

I don't really care if no one believes me, I just do not like the guy. He acts like an idiot and is a huge enbarrassment to Australians. There are heaps of animal shows in Oz that represent true animal cruesaders.
#103 Old 01-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't help but like the guy (me as a Brit looking for downunder inspiration) but anyway thanks regardless for the insight LittleHottie...

Its always good to get another perspective and which you believe is true,

and particularly to see you say there are "heaps of <other> animal shows"

(or causes) that offer *other/alternative* ways of crusading for animals...etc.

It still remains for me though the fact I can't help being enthused by Steve Irwins overall enthusiasm...(although its understandable that one can be almost too enthusiastic sometimes especially when it leads to DANGER!!).

haha, it makes me laugh how he says that, (sorry)!
#104 Old 01-28-2004, 11:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHottie View Post

Hey there

What's bad about the croc hunter is that he's a fake. Australians such as my husband despise him. In fact he is such an embarrassment in Australia that he isn't even on Aussie TV there. His shows are made by Animal Planet which is American and air everywhere else but Australia.

The Aussie media busted him a few years ago and his show was taken off the air he was accused of being a fraud and drugging crocs so he could do his silling stunts. The biggest one was the croc fight he staged were he was taunting an a old blind croc with a bladeless lawnmower. He plants drugged and otherwise old crocs and other animals in places and then pretends to rescue them. He has yet to let any reporters on his set after what happened with aussie news reporters, for fear of being caught out again. Ya I dont buy this guy, he has money at heart not animals.

Completely and utterly untrue.

I live in Australia, and his show gets aired fairly frequently on free to air TV as well as being on Animal Planet all the time. He was also never 'busted' in the media for taunting or drugging animals. Where did you get that information? It is completely false. If you have any proof - eg websites containing these news items, please post them. I don't particularly like watching him catch crocs, but he puts huge amounts of money into conservation schemes, and buying large tracts of land to conserve them. He lives relatively modestly when in Australia and has always had reporters around him when performing with crocs - hence the big media frenzy cause a cameraman got images of the 'baby incident'. The media here has always liked him and he was nominated for Australian of the year this year.
#105 Old 01-29-2004, 01:05 AM

Friday, June 29, 2001

Hunting up the truth

Aussies disdain Steve Irwin while Americans can't get enough of the crocodile hunter

While travelling abroad recently, I met an amiable Australian couple who shared a few laughs over cultural stereotypes and the Aussie swagger perpetuated by Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin.

"Everybody in Australia hates Steve Irwin," said the husband. "And he's not even on TV in Australia. ... Some people say he's a fake, too."

Crickey, what a shocker!

I can understand Aussies disliking Paul Hogan for making detestable films and even worse commercials, but from the outside it looked as if Irwin, known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter on the hit Animal Planet show of the same name, was harmless to everyone - especially his own countrymen.

Aussie fool

The bottom line from my new Australian mates: Irwin does nothing but make a fool out of himself.

So why do people in America (and 135 other countries where the show is aired) find Irwin so irresistible?

It's the unpredictability of the animals combined with Irwin's over-the-top enthusiasm and overuse of Aussie idioms while he's wrestling an aggravated 12-foot beast to the ground. Three weeks ago, Irwin transformed "Larry King Live" into an improvised laugh-fest - a rare feat for the CNN program.

Adults and children alike love Irwin's infantile behavior. A close friend of mine is a trained reptile keeper at a major zoo on the East Coast and he can't get enough.

Most impressive of all: Irwin has been immortalized in the form of an action figure.

Anti-'Croc Hunter'

So why are some Australians so offended by Irwin, and, even more pressing, why doesn't the show air on Aussie TV?

Animal Planet spokesperson Matt Katzive assured me that Irwin is featured occasionally in specials on Australia's Channel 9. As to why some Australians don't dig Irwin, Katzive could only speculate. .

"I've heard this before, but I can't say one way or the other," Katzive said. "It could be that he's become so representative of the country and perhaps some people don't agree with the image he presents."

Randy Wayne Wright has an alternate theory. Wright, an American novelist and a contributing editor to Outside magazine, traveled Down Under to capture the essence of the Croc Hunter for the magazine in 1997.

Fact or fiction?

But when he tried to get the story, Wright was continually ditched and stood-up by Irwin's camera crews. Wright called up a few Australian friends, who scoffed at his assignment.

"I then realized that this guy who I thought was very funny and endearing on TV is not what he represented himself to be," White said in a phone interview.

White interviewed multiple critics who claimed that the show uses drugged crocs for the shoots. Other respected biologists spoke highly of Irwin, calling him a "self-taught expert." After weighing the testimonies, White called the show a fake.

"Animal Planet had to know at the time that the show was a fake, and they never reacted to that in an ethical way," he said. "I haven't watched the show in years, so it may be credible now."

Animal Planet's reaction: claptrap.

"Sometimes he's in the middle of the Nile," said Animal Planet's Katzive. "Do you think that's something that could be staged?"

Katzive said Irwin's critics have never visited a shoot, and everything viewers see on the screen realistically representsIrwin's adventures.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

, Contact pop culture/media critic Ricardo Baca at 886-3688 or [email protected]
#106 Old 01-29-2004, 01:29 AM

http://outside.away.com/magazine/1197/9711out.html

Here is another link to an article please click on it and read for yourself. You are in Australia then you should know. I stand by mine and my Husband's belief, Steve Irwin is a fake. He is nothing but a showman, He is disliked from Dr.Grahame Webb, who lives in Australia's Northern Territory, is considered the country's foremost expert on crocodiles.

If this guy is who he says he is then why not let us see the behind the scenes making of a show?
#107 Old 01-29-2004, 05:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for posting the articles. I found the second one interesting - but it was written 7 years ago. I know a lot of people think he is fake, I agree with you there - and a lot of other croc farmers don't like him much (maybe because he gets so much media attention). I also get why other herpetologists and reptile experts are not 100% happy with him, he does not present serious documentaries - it is entertainment. He *is* a showman, no one claimed he wasn't. But I believe his intentions are somewhere in the right hemisphere at least. Even though he does create a stereotype of Aussies (which anyone with half a brain could see do not represent most Australians), he still manages to showcase our beautiful native snakes and reptiles. He has created interest and respect for these creatures which IMO is never a bad thing.

The facts are that most Australians like him, maybe not so much after this baby incident, but he *was* nominated for Australian of the year to much press attention and acclaim this year. They show his series on channel nine every year plus specials he films.

And why does he have to show the making of his shows? What other documentary makers do this?
#108 Old 01-29-2004, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHottie View Post

If this guy is who he says he is then why not let us see the behind the scenes making of a show?

Umm, let's see. First of all, this is on his private property. Secondly, he gets paid, and probably has some sort of exclusive contract, to film his shows for the people writing his checks. Third, he has no obligation to you or anyone else to allow them on his private property set. Fourth, maybe he just doesn't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks of him; he's not on trial and certainly does not have to prove anything to anyone.
#109 Old 01-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Administrator

The first article says he interviewed critics that didn't like him and respected bioligists who called him a "self-taught expert" and decided to agree with the critics. Good choice. Sounds like someone is bitter they didn't get an interview.

As for Australians not liking him, I can understand why. If we there were a show that featured a "typical American" that was very popular around the world I very much doubt I'd care for how we were represeneted.

I agree with Descentia, I think he does a lot to educate the public and to provide a safe home and care for those that need it. As far as I can tell he was doing this long before he was "famous" so to say that he's only in it for the money, I don't get that.

#110 Old 01-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Banned

I feel most wild life shows lack the grandure that was there when Mutual of Omahas Wild kingdom aired. I thinkthe crok guy is a little goofey, but the kids sure seem to like him. I also think that when he had his child with him, there was no danger. I look at it like this, he is an expert at understanding the behavior of those creatures, he has grown up them. No different than me with horses, and my daughter. Sure I would not let her enter a stall with a horse I did not know, but I let her in the stalls with about every horse here, and I know that one of those horse could end her on a whim, but i know they wont. Any way thats my say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page