Cat Killer/Mutilator in My Neighbourhood Nearly Got My Cat... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

The other night my cat, Mr. Kitty, came home very frantic and upset. He is a VERY level headed and calm cat, I've had him for years, and have never seen him like this. He was favouring his tail and meowing as if in pain, and we soon clued him that something tried to grab and hold him by the tail.

Well it turns out, from the same night, that mutilated and decapated cats were found in our neighbourhood. My cat narrowly escaped death or a life of agony.

Every room he enters he enters cautiously and checks every corner etc. He's skittish, he refuses to leave the house and doesn't trust people like he used to. We don't let him out anymore anyway and he is sleeping with us every night and CLINGS like a scared child. He cries like a baby, but today he's not holding his tail *as* low and is able to move the tip more. He isn't crying as much which leads me to believe he is feeling better.

Not to sound like a nutjob, but he definately has feline PTSD.

I've made him a comfortable bed in the spare room and have babied him relentlessly in the hopes that I can make his bad dreams go away, but he seems haunted by it all.

I've informed our strata to let the others in the complex know, and also called and left a message at the police station in case the info helps them pin-point the killer....I don't care if I sound like a crazy cat lady.

My boyfriend works at the local paper, who have given more attention to local politics than this mass-murderer, and he is going to talk to his boss about doing a story on it so the public is more informed.

I'm just so upset right now and can't stop crying. This is so horrible, it could of been so much worse I know, but I feel awful for those other cats as well. It scares me to know that someone in the neighbourhood is showing the first signs of being a serial killer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

PENTICTON, B.C. – A brutal cat killer is being hunted by police.

Police say the suspect has cut up and killed at least five cats.

“Penticton RCMP have had 11 reports of cats being killed since May 1, 2009 with the most recent being August 12, 2009. It has been determined that in 6 of these incidents, the cats have been killed by another animal,” said police.

“In five incidents it appears that somebody has killed these cats by attacking them and cutting them with a sharp object.”

These five incidents have occurred in the area near 2773 South Main Street and near Dauphin Ave.

RCMP advise cat owners to refrain from letting their cats runs loose and unattended.

Penticton RCMP continue to investigate these incidents and are requesting anyone with any information concerning these incidents to contact Penticton RCMP or Crime Stoppers.

From: http://www.vancouverite.com/2009/08/...-killing-them/
#3 Old 09-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Poor baby! I wish I had advice for you but all I can say is I'm really sorry that happened to your poor kitty. Hopefully he'll learn that he's safe in his house and calm down eventually... for now, give him some extra cuddles for me.

That's really sick that someone like that is out there. Is there a way you could post warning signs in your neighborhood or tell people in your area to keep their cats in? (The news story is a great thing, but no one in my family reads the paper, so we don't get one. Someone might be missing it. You never know.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

The Victim (My Cat):

#5 Old 09-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Update:

The police called me back and the incident has been added to the file and the constable who is handling the case has been made aware. The officer was actually very nice and I'm thankful he didn't think I am crazy.

Quote:
Poor baby! I wish I had advice for you but all I can say is I'm really sorry that happened to your poor kitty. Hopefully he'll learn that he's safe in his house and calm down eventually... for now, give him some extra cuddles for me.

Quote:
That's really sick that someone like that is out there. Is there a way you could post warning signs in your neighborhood or tell people in your area to keep their cats in? (The news story is a great thing, but no one in my family reads the paper, so we don't get one. Someone might be missing it. You never know.)

Mr. Kitty thanks you for your kind thoughts. I know word has gotten out to the community and everyone here at least gets the free paper. So I think putting up posters may give the killer too much attention (maybe that's what he craves?)
#6 Old 09-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Beautiful kitty! Good for you keeping him in. People can be so cruel to animals. Well, at least he's okay. maybe you should think about keeping the kitty indoors. we've done that and drastically increased the odds of our kitties living longer.

The Big Bad.
#7 Old 09-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

Beautiful kitty! Good for you keeping him in. People can be so cruel to animals. Well, at least he's okay. maybe you should think about keeping the kitty indoors. we've done that and drastically increased the odds of our kitties living longer.

Thankyou, he's a siamese tabby cross. He has dark points like a siamese, but his dark points are striped LOL.

Yeah you have a good idea there, I'm thinking that he is going to be gradually transitioned to being an indoor kitty.
#8 Old 09-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

Thankyou, he's a siamese tabby cross. He has dark points like a siamese, but his dark points are striped LOL.

Yeah you have a good idea there, I'm thinking that he is going to be gradually transitioned to being an indoor kitty.

We lost an outdoor/feral kitty that we adopted for our garage. I think a coyote or a mountain lion got it. We saved his sister (she's inside now) but it was heartbreaking and a lesson about having an outdoor kitty in a modern environ.

My oldest kitty, bunny, is an indoor kitty now after having been outdoors for a few years. He's pretty content and he's now about 16.

The Big Bad.
#9 Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Alicia, I'm sorry your kitty had to go through all that trauma, and I hope he's feeling much better now and is getting over his ordeal. Please give him extra hugs from me, too.

It's such a scary world out there that when I adopted my two older kitties 11 years ago, I decided immediately that they would be indoor cats only. I also made that decision with the cat I took in last year. If they ever go outside, I supervise them with a collar and leash. It's a little harder with the third cat since she was living on the streets for a while and wants to go out way more often than the older two cats, but she's okay with going out with a collar and leash on. This way they get some air and some extra stimulation, but there's little risk of bad things happening to them.

*this space not for sale*
#10 Old 09-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Please give him extra hugs from me, too.

Done

Quote:

It's such a scary world out there that when I adopted my two older kitties 11 years ago, I decided immediately that they would be indoor cats only.

Yeah that was a wise choice, right now I am listening to him meowing to go out, but when he goes out he sits there staring scared off into space. He's going to stay in that's for sure...I'm sure he'll get over the 'let me out thing.'

Quote:
We lost an outdoor/feral kitty that we adopted for our garage. I think a coyote or a mountain lion got it. We saved his sister (she's inside now) but it was heartbreaking and a lesson about having an outdoor kitty in a modern environ

Poor kitty, good thing you saved the sister though
#11 Old 09-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

What a beautiful kitty. When our black kitty was still with us, we wouldn't let him out around halloween because we were afraid someone would harm him. Maybe he will stay in more now.
#12 Old 09-09-2009, 08:13 AM

I'm glad your cat is okay AA.

I used to live in a different part of London and there was a person or persons mutilating and killing cats. I was really worried about my cats at the time. There are some truly horrible people in the world.
#13 Old 09-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Ankle Biter

Wow - that's very scary. There are unbelievably awful people out there. I hope this person gets caught very soon. Keep us posted and if he gets caught, I'd be interested in knowing how old this person is.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#14 Old 09-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

***hugs for your cute little kitty***
#15 Old 09-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Beautiful cat...he's lucky to have someone who loves and cares for him so much!!!
#16 Old 09-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

OMG that's awful!!!! I hope they catch this sick-sick! person. And I hope your cat feels better both emotionally and physically...poor thing
#17 Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I hope your fur-baby gets over his trauma soon. I am sure he will be fine with all your love and attention. I hate hearing these stories... brings out violent thoughts which only surface when animals or children are harmed! Hope they catch this fiend soon!! Extra cuddles for your baby and do consider keeping him indoors permanently. It's a nasty world out there!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#18 Old 09-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad Mr. Kitty was able to escape any foul play or harm.

I don't know what would make someone do such despicable and gruesome things to a poor animal.
#19 Old 09-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

He's a beautiful cat, Alicia. I was wondering if the compter screen was off showing his eyes blue, but you mentioned he has Siamese in him.

I'm glad he's recovering.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#20 Old 09-09-2009, 01:01 PM

aww poor thing, he definitely sounds a bit traumatised by something. make sure you give him lots of love. hes a very handsome cat btw. tell him he cant go outside again, it could spoil his good looks
#21 Old 09-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone for the support and hugs for kitty. He slept with us last night, and was cuddled up like a baby. Tail is doing better, but still having a few issues. Strata is going to post a notice, so that's great as well.

Thanks again!
#22 Old 09-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Gorgeous cat!

My Tommy (RIP) disappeared for six days when he was about a year old. We never found out where he was, but after we found him he was definitely traumatized by something. I'm wondering if he got hung up somewhere by his collar, because the collar was gone and I was never able to get another one on him...he would totally freak out if you even went near him with one. He became a 100% indoor cat after that experience, totally by his own choice. And he never got over the jitters...He lived another 13 years as a very nervous cat, running and hiding if anyone came to visit. I hope your kitty gets over his fear soon.
#23 Old 09-09-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

My Tommy (RIP) disappeared for six days when he was about a year old. We never found out where he was, but after we found him he was definitely traumatized by something. I'm wondering if he got hung up somewhere by his collar, because the collar was gone and I was never able to get another one on him...he would totally freak out if you even went near him with one. He became a 100% indoor cat after that experience, totally by his own choice. And he never got over the jitters...He lived another 13 years as a very nervous cat, running and hiding if anyone came to visit.

Poor Tommy. One of the stray cats I adopted acts like that too. He gets scared even when the TV has a person with a loud male voice.

Some days I think I would like to get my hands on the person that made him act that way.
#24 Old 09-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Awww... poor babies. And if your cat still needs some outside time, you can harness him and walk him. I am terrified of my baby Tsoni getting hurt or killed, so he only goes outside if Im walking him. I make up for the lack of outside time by training him.

How come I love reading other people's witty signatures, but can never seem to make an awesome one for myself?! Life is hilariously cruel.
#25 Old 09-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

mister kitty is in my prayers and give him huggs for me.
#26 Old 09-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad your kitty is doing better. Did you hear about the cat killer case in Miami this year? They caught the guy who did it. Hope they catch the psycho roaming your neighborhood, too.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/06/...ref=newssearch
#27 Old 09-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Awwe, I want to pet your cat!!!! He's so adorable!!!!!
#28 Old 09-19-2009, 05:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I am so sorry. I am glad your kitty escaped death though. I could not imagine something like that happening to any of my pets. What sicko does that stuff

^Cool story, bro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page