Why is everyone leaving VB again? - Page 6 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 364Likes

#151 Old 04-03-2017, 06:57 AM

As a recent member of this forum, I really hope that the veteran people will stick around. There are many things that I know I can learn from you all and hope to have the opportunity to share my experiences with you as well. Being somewhat new to vegetarianism (only about a year in), I'm still figuring it all out and going through that with other like-minded people and the wisdom of those who have done it could be very helpful to make sure myself and others don't fall off the wagon. Thanks for all you guys do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 04-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie_Steve View Post
As a recent member of this forum, I really hope that the veteran people will stick around. There are many things that I know I can learn from you all and hope to have the opportunity to share my experiences with you as well. Being somewhat new to vegetarianism (only about a year in), I'm still figuring it all out and going through that with other like-minded people and the wisdom of those who have done it could be very helpful to make sure myself and others don't fall off the wagon. Thanks for all you guys do!
Thanks Veggie_Steve! Let us know if you have any questions.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#153 Old 04-19-2017, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I just flat out don't post a lot. I promise to work on that, even if it's just welcoming new people!
Werewolf Girl and BlueMts like this.

"Snake Savers"
Venomous & Non-Venomous Snakes Removed & Relocated. Unharmed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#154 Old 04-19-2017, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Olexa View Post
I just flat out don't post a lot. I promise to work on that, even if it's just welcoming new people!
Awesome! I always enjoy reading your posts.
BlueMts likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#155 Old 06-23-2017, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I was never a power user of this forum, mostly invisible although I have contributed over the years, for me, I rarely visit the site anymore, one reason being the change of devices.

Previously I used my laptop, as smart phone screens got bigger, I now use my phone 90% of the time and feel the whole forum experience and layout is inconvenient and difficult to navigate, so tend to follow stuff that interests me on facebook, instragram and the like.

Most of the many forums that I have been involved in over the past 20 years appear to be little more than empty shells now, there are a few exceptions like whirlpool and that's probably because of the layout and usability.
#156 Old 07-07-2017, 01:14 AM
adapt. evolve. become

I just can't really think of something to post here, but I'll come around every once in a while.
Werewolf Girl likes this.

All we are is dust in the wind
#157 Old 07-08-2017, 05:02 AM

I've been here less than a week and this site has locked up my laptop twice. Almost like its too much "clutter" to download?? Pages take really long to load compared to other places on the web.
#158 Old 07-25-2017, 03:36 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I don't post as much as I used to (on any website) but I'm still around.

ETA: after 14.5 YEARS!!! YEAH, MAN!
Werewolf Girl likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#159 Old 07-25-2017, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I don't post as much as I used to (on any website) but I'm still around.

ETA: after 14.5 YEARS!!! YEAH, MAN!
Hi Tom, great to see ya!

I think I've been here about 8 years now? It's crazy how time flies!
Tom likes this.

#160 Old 09-03-2017, 02:01 AM
Same Ol Girl Ya Used Ta B

WELL, I figured out the "mystery" to this problem...as a loyal member of over one year I moved to Northern California and bought a new laptop. I actually lost my old cell phone back in L.A. and had no way of directly connecting to my old account. I begged for a password change to my old account REPEATEDLY, and waited patiently for a week before asking AGAIN...when I was ignored yet again I actually created a new account with my new college email. Seriously.

Most people don't care about this ****. They probably are ignored once and never ask again, or ask twice and feel so bad about themselves as human beings they never come back here again.

Luckily I have strong self-esteem and a sense of curiousity, and I had seen this thread many times before I accidentally locked myself out by losing my old L.A. cell phone, moving to NorCal and purchasing a new lap top.

Seriously, the denial of a password change almost seemed...passive aggressive? Which is exactly the sort of garbage that makes me want to resurface and express myself.

So here I am. Unlike other people who couldn't retrieve their password, because no one even cared they existed.

~ Thalassa
Tom likes this.
#161 Old 09-03-2017, 08:18 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipsterVeganCheezburger View Post
WELL, I figured out the "mystery" to this problem...as a loyal member of over one year I moved to Northern California and bought a new laptop. I actually lost my old cell phone back in L.A. and had no way of directly connecting to my old account. I begged for a password change to my old account REPEATEDLY, and waited patiently for a week before asking AGAIN...when I was ignored yet again I actually created a new account with my new college email. Seriously.

Most people don't care about this ****. They probably are ignored once and never ask again, or ask twice and feel so bad about themselves as human beings they never come back here again.

Luckily I have strong self-esteem and a sense of curiousity, and I had seen this thread many times before I accidentally locked myself out by losing my old L.A. cell phone, moving to NorCal and purchasing a new lap top.

Seriously, the denial of a password change almost seemed...passive aggressive? Which is exactly the sort of garbage that makes me want to resurface and express myself.

So here I am. Unlike other people who couldn't retrieve their password, because no one even cared they existed.

~ Thalassa

That isn't something that should be taken personally. I've sent emails to the site administrator about other issues (example: meat ads on this forum), but I've never seen any results.

VeggieBoards is moderated by veg*ns, but the owners and administrators of VeggieBoards are a company called "Vertical Scope", a company that hosts dozens of online forums, on many different topics: http://www.verticalscope.com/ . Vertical Scope hosts forums on cars, personal electronics, sports, pets, home improvement, hobbies, and health - over 100 forums in total. You can see VeggieBoards on this Vertical Scope page: http://www.verticalscope.com/health-wellness/ . For that matter, Vertical Scope also hosts 9 different forums on hunting and fishing: http://www.verticalscope.com/outdoor/. They have no particular interest in vegetarianism.

Vertical Scope, in turn, is owned by "TorStar", a huge Canadian media company: http://www.torstar.com/html/whats_ne...ticle&wnID=169

Vertical Scope's primary focus is selling advertising space on its forums. If you use the "LinkedIn" career website, you can see that Vertical Scope's employees are nearly all sales representatives of some sort.

So, if the Vertical Scope forum administrators (VSAdmin, etc.) ignore you, just remember that (1) many of us have experienced this and (2) Vertical Scope are an advertising-sales-focused company.

Now, having said that, I do appreciate that Vertical Scope hosts VeggieBoards - it has very good functionality and features, compared with other veg forums. I haven't found any other English language veg forum that has this much activity.

* A postscript to this *

Out of curiosity, I peeked at Vertical Scope's diabetes forum. The misinformation is rampant there. A Vertical Scope administrator published a thread encouraging those with diabetes to eat fatty meats and full-fat dairy - terrible! The American Diabetes Association directly discourages the consumption of these high-saturated-fat foods: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...-diabetes.html . Vertical Scope's social media writers are poorly informed - I would prefer that VS not contribute articles to our forum.

But please let's not invade the other forums, lest they invade ours.
Tom, silva and Spudulika like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 09-03-2017 at 11:53 AM.
#162 Old 11-01-2017, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipsterVeganCheezburger View Post

~ Thalassa
I've just had the same thing happen to me. I used to be a regular here (as angie54321) but even though I haven't had a change of computer, I can no longer log in. I've asked to be reminded of my password, and to change it, but no email (which should be automated). I've contacted the site - no response.

So I've had to set up a brand new account to be able to post.

Very frustrating.
Tom likes this.
#163 Old 11-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by tka123 View Post
I've just had the same thing happen to me. I used to be a regular here (as angie54321) but even though I haven't had a change of computer, I can no longer log in. I've asked to be reminded of my password, and to change it, but no email (which should be automated). I've contacted the site - no response.

So I've had to set up a brand new account to be able to post.

Very frustrating.
Hi Angie,

Welcome back to VeggieBoards!

Please don't take this kind administrative issue personally!

The VeggieBoards moderators are extremely committed to their volunteer work here. In my experience, they usually answer posts/questions within a day (sometimes within the hour, if they happen to be on the computer).

However, password resets aren't handled by the VeggieBoards moderators. Rather, they are handled by the owners of this forum, a company called VerticalScope (see my post above). VerticalScope is not particularly interested in vegetarianism - they also own several hunting & fishing forums. Their involvement in this forum appears minimal.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#164 Old 11-01-2017, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks David3, I wasn't taking it personally, no worries on that front. It was just frustrating not being able to get back in, in my own account, that's all.

Angie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Hi Angie,

Welcome back to VeggieBoards!

Please don't take this kind administrative issue personally!

The VeggieBoards moderators are extremely committed to their volunteer work here. In my experience, they usually answer posts/questions within a day (sometimes within the hour, if they happen to be on the computer).

However, password resets aren't handled by the VeggieBoards moderators. Rather, they are handled by the owners of this forum, a company called VerticalScope (see my post above). VerticalScope is not particularly interested in vegetarianism - they also own several hunting & fishing forums. Their involvement in this forum appears minimal.
#165 Old 11-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

If I remember rightly, the site owner VerticalScope cancelled all members' passwords a couple of years ago(?), so that members had to supply new passwords to be able to log-in. This would explain why members who've not been around for a few years, would not be able to log-in using 'old passwords'. I think the reason given at the time for the password updating was to improve site security, following either a security alert, or a general security review, I can't remember which.

Leedsveg

Last edited by leedsveg; 11-01-2017 at 04:44 PM.
#166 Old 11-03-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
If I remember rightly, the site owner VerticalScope cancelled all members' passwords a couple of years ago(?), so that members had to supply new passwords to be able to log-in. This would explain why members who've not been around for a few years, would not be able to log-in using 'old passwords'. I think the reason given at the time for the password updating was to improve site security, following either a security alert, or a general security review, I can't remember which.

Leedsveg
When they did that, I had to change everything: user name, password AND email. It was ridiculous.
#167 Old 11-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
When they did that, I had to change everything: user name, password AND email. It was ridiculous.
I just had to change my password but only VerticalScope would know why you and others had to additionally change your password and email address.

The posting from VerticalScope notifying of the need to change passwords was made by VSadmin on 14/15 June 2016 in two threads headed;

Upcoming Password Changes;and

Attention - Password and Security Update.

Any members interested can find these threads and the related interchanges between VSadmin and members on page 2 of the Site Support subforum (down near the bottom of all the subforums).

I thought all this happened 2 years ago but obviously it was just under 17 months ago.

Leedsveg
#168 Old 11-05-2017, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
I just had to change my password but only VerticalScope would know why you and others had to additionally change your password and email address.

The posting from VerticalScope notifying of the need to change passwords was made by VSadmin on 14/15 June 2016 in two threads headed;

Upcoming Password Changes;and

Attention - Password and Security Update.

Any members interested can find these threads and the related interchanges between VSadmin and members on page 2 of the Site Support subforum (down near the bottom of all the subforums).

I thought all this happened 2 years ago but obviously it was just under 17 months ago.

Leedsveg
That was probably around the last time I came on with my old username.
Oh well, never mind, a fresh start is sometimes a good thing, and I can still search my old posts if for some reason I wanted to see them
leedsveg likes this.
#169 Old 01-03-2018, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't want to leave VB, I loved these forums but around two years ago I tried to log in and each attempt failed. I tried many times and could not log in at all I was almost going to make a new account because I missed it here so much, but I was finally able to log back in! It is so great to be back!!
Tom and cherries like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page