Why is everyone leaving VB again? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 364Likes

#91 Old 05-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Give peas a chance

I'm curious why some of the mods have stopped posting.... Werewolf Girl, No Whey Jose, danakscully64. They were all very prolific posters who made significant contributions to the community. Their absence is felt.

Also, the video ads are slowing down the user experience, and the ads, particularly the CLICK-BAIT ads, have saturated the site to the point where they are truly obnoxious. This has become my least favorite veg forum. I find myself checking it less often.
Purp, LedBoots and David3 like this.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 05-23-2016, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Also, when online vegan communities get too much publicity, it can become difficult to handle the sheer volume of trollage.
In my experience, if the mods work as a team, there shouldn't be a problem handling trollage.

As for mods not posting, the first thing I do when logging in to VB is to check just who are the current mods. In the last year, mod positions have been closed without any explanation or even mention in the forum. This is really basic stuff if "the Management" are wondering why the feeling of togetherness on the forum, is disappearing at a rate of knots.

Lv

Last edited by leedsveg; 05-23-2016 at 01:27 PM.
#93 Old 05-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I'm curious why some of the mods have stopped posting.... Werewolf Girl, No Whey Jose, danakscully64. They were all very prolific posters who made significant contributions to the community. Their absence is felt.
I'm still here! Sorry I haven't been around as much, my personal and professional life have been a little crazy for the past while but I will try to post more regularly.

I think some ebb and flow is natural with forums as people get distracted by other things, and especially with a forum like this that is geared towards helping new vegetarians and vegans get started.

It seems like a lot of people come here as newbies and they ask a lot of questions and learn what to eat and how to deal with their judgey family members etc. then once they've learned all they need to know they stop coming here so much. I'm not sure if there's really a way we can stop that from happening honestly but it's always a little sad when you stop seeing people around who you've enjoyed talking to.
Purp and CricketVS like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 05-25-2016, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I joined in 3/06-- Is that "long time enough?" First, I am busy. I pop in occasionally but do not log in much. I am getting my masters degree, so I am doing a lot of reading and so on. This summer, I am taking off from school, so I will probably show up a little more often.

I just have "heard it all," and I am really not much of a moderator type. I don't want to answer questions. It takes too long to type and then not even be acknowledged.

Some of the stuff I read here is "Hilarious" so it takes more self control and diplomacy then I have sometimes. I started to rant about those kinds of posts a few years back, but now I just do not reply at all. I mean-- why? So I will probably just be hanging out in gardening this summer, then you won't hear from me for another year.

Katy
Purp likes this.
#95 Old 05-25-2016, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

Also, the video ads are slowing down the user experience, and the ads, particularly the CLICK-BAIT ads, have saturated the site to the point where they are truly obnoxious. This has become my least favorite veg forum. I find myself checking it less often.
I'm sorry, I didn't leave on purpose. I just finished a 14 credit/unit semester that kicked my butt while buying our first house (a fixer upper). I stopped posting everywhere except Facebook, as it's the easiest app to use on my phone. I had a week off, then started an intense 6 week, 4 unit ASL class. I'll be back again once things calm down. Being an adult is tough.

Werewolf Girl, silva, Purp and 3 others like this.
#96 Old 05-29-2016, 12:21 AM
Banned

Hello everyone, I was kind of busy in the last months and had no time to be active on the forum. Sorry about that.

I don't believe that the fact that many people leave is any problem. People come and go. And they come back. And sometimes many people leave in the same time and sometimes many people come in the same time.

The biggest problem with this forum — in my view, of course — is the fact that the information on a certain topic is spread between a lot of threads. What is missing is a few sticky "perpetual" threads about meat, about milk and diary products, about honey, about eggs and so on.
I simply feel embarrassed to open a new thread about milk in order to ask something about milk, when there are so many other threads on the topic already. And it is also very irritating and that makes me abandon the idea of asking something or posting something about milk for example.

There is a forum about raw food in Romanian which is kind of abandoned today - but it is very well structured and the amount of available useful / interesting information is absolutely outstanding. Because it is well structured. You don't have to search between a gazillion of threads in order to learn something about a certain topic. Can I post the link? If yes, then it's this one - http://romaniaraw.freeforums.org/principii-f33.html (the most important sub-forum - "principles" with sticky threads). If not, then please delete the link.
Comparing to that forum, this one is a big, huge mess - sorry.

In my view, the issue is how to make the valuable information available to the people, not the amount of people who are discussing irrelevant things on the forum.
And the question is how to create a "static" (html) version of the forum, so that, if / when it will be closed, it can be downloaded as a .zip file and uploaded somewhere else and maintained with minimum costs or even read offline on your own computer.

I think the purpose of the forum should be to facilitate the access to knowledge, not to increase the profits for some enterprising people (and then being dumped to the trash container when it's not profitable anymore and disappear like it never existed). Few things hurt me more than the disappearance of useful information - because it makes me feel like living in a dystopian environment, where history doesn't exist.

Just my two cents, of course
Purp likes this.

Last edited by spaveg; 05-29-2016 at 12:32 AM.
#97 Old 05-29-2016, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Good points Spaveg,
facilitate the access to knowledge Vs. Redundancy could be solved by a re-design.

You have 2000 people (per year possibly) who want to know the same question. It would be better if the answers were out there for all to see, a "read this before posting" type thing, or allowing people who hadn't gotten the e-mail to re-post the same question ad infinitum.

As a person who has been coming to this board since 2006, I have seen pretty much the same 100 or so questions asked time and again. It gets boring in a "seen it before," kind of way which might make "old timers" easily bord with the whole forum, where as that is also unfortunate and unfair to beginners because they are only now starting to ask those questions.

It seems to me, what is needed are "levels," like if you were a kid in Elementary, High School, and College. Rather this is more like a 1 room school house where college people are in the same classroom as first graders. I mean, it becomes confusing which information to even give. I can certainly sympathize with the moderators and the people who decide big questions about how to run the forum.
karenlovessnow and Purp like this.
#98 Old 05-29-2016, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Spaveg, you bring up an interesting point. There have been times where I have wanted information on a topic that I know has already been discussed. I hate to start a new thread or ask an old question when the topic has already been covered. Unless I am currently missing it, I would love to have a key word search that could pull up old threads. If this already exists and I just don't know where to look I would love some guidance from anyone. Thanks.
Purp likes this.
#99 Old 05-29-2016, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Key word search:
Attached Images

Purp and David3 like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#100 Old 05-29-2016, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Key word search:
well of course, there is less use of this ^^ then needed. And I guess if a person has a question, they want it specifically to be answered on their own post.
Purp likes this.
#101 Old 02-09-2017, 04:14 AM
person

I don't know anything about all this but I would just like to say I came here from google not face book (hate face book, don't want to see pictures of someones cup of coffee etc)

I was looking for advice on how to deal with an "infestation" of baby spiders, on the ceiling when I woke up, without hurting them. Turned out someone had had the same problem and dealt with it the same way I had chosen (took a few days to get activated - my fault, thank you to whoever fixed the problem for me).

Only saw the front page this evening when I logged in. If I had seen it first before seeing the forums I would have just moved on and looked elsewhere for advice.
Purp likes this.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#102 Old 02-09-2017, 10:24 AM
Vegan since 2011

My bookmark brings me right to the forums. The front page...could be better. I joined a long time ago, and then did a vanishing act before recently coming back due to some really intense family emergencies- when it rains, it pours, yes? That said, I definitely enjoy the forums. The only way they could be improved is with some more activity.
Purp likes this.

"The first step in changing anything is getting people to care." - Misha Collins
#103 Old 02-09-2017, 09:06 PM

Something to cheer is vegans like us are still joining
#104 Old 02-15-2017, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post
Good points Spaveg,
facilitate the access to knowledge Vs. Redundancy could be solved by a re-design.

You have 2000 people (per year possibly) who want to know the same question. It would be better if the answers were out there for all to see, a "read this before posting" type thing, or allowing people who hadn't gotten the e-mail to re-post the same question ad infinitum.

As a person who has been coming to this board since 2006, I have seen pretty much the same 100 or so questions asked time and again. It gets boring in a "seen it before," kind of way which might make "old timers" easily bord with the whole forum, where as that is also unfortunate and unfair to beginners because they are only now starting to ask those questions.

It seems to me, what is needed are "levels," like if you were a kid in Elementary, High School, and College. Rather this is more like a 1 room school house where college people are in the same classroom as first graders. I mean, it becomes confusing which information to even give. I can certainly sympathize with the moderators and the people who decide big questions about how to run the forum.
*raises hand sheepishly* That was me. My then 5 year old grand niece had allergies to eggs and dairy, and I had to figure out what to do for desserts. Then her aunt and uncle moved here, and they were full on vegans, so I really had to ask the embarrassing question...where do you get your protein, iron, calcium, etc. Now I know better, and still love coming in here from time to time and answering questions and posting my (weird) but workable recipes.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#105 Old 02-25-2017, 09:02 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post
well, people probably often find VB when they google a question like 'is honey vegan?'...they follow the google link and read the comments, and then their question answered, they go away.

One way to increase posts could be to stop google scanning old posts, maybe, and then someone would maybe join and ask the question.........well...it's one possibility..although people will repeat questions ad nauseam..

plus, I think we really need a shrug smiley.

Just jumping in here as an old time ex member from about 2007(?) who came back a short time ago.

How many times have you seen on a thread that someone (new) is asking the question (for example), 'is honey vegan', and some long time member replies rather shortly, 'oh no, are we talking about this again?' and then finish that comment with 'why don't you do a search for old threads?'.....and then 'roll their eyes'. That's very off-putting.

Also, maybe it was going gangbusters years ago because it was a novelty but now it's just not. And there's so many vegan blogs and such out there, that it's gotten relatively easy to find answers to any question or find a zillion vegan recipes or whatever other info you might be looking for.
Purp likes this.
#106 Old 02-25-2017, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebrahM View Post
How many times have you seen on a thread that someone (new) is asking the question (for example), 'is honey vegan', and some long time member replies rather shortly, 'oh no, are we talking about this again?' and then finish that comment with 'why don't you do a search for old threads?'.....and then 'roll their eyes'. That's very off-putting.
Hi DebrahM.

I've just copied this from the FAQs in the Rules section of the Forum:

What does discouraging someone from posting mean?

Behaviors that may discourage someone from posting include....

Responding to a post by telling the poster to "Go look something up." If you aren't actually going to be helpful and answer someone's question, why respond at all?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the problem with this could be that long term members may, for whatever reasons, no longer be willing to get into the "what's wrong with honey?" tango, the "can vegans eat oysters?" foxtrot and the "should I feed my cat a plant-food diet?" waltz. Maybe the search facility could be given more prominence so that new(er) members could be prompted to use that as the first port of call for answers to any particular questions they may have? Some new members certainly use this facility and it's often interesting to see someone responding to a post that may have been made 10 years ago!

Lv.
Purp and Spudulika like this.
#107 Old 02-25-2017, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Hi DebrahM.

Responding to a post by telling the poster to "Go look something up." If you aren't actually going to be helpful and answer someone's question, why respond at all?

I think the problem with this could be that long term members may, for whatever reasons, no longer be willing to get into the "what's wrong with honey?" tango, the "can vegans eat oysters?" foxtrot and the "should I feed my cat a plant-food diet?" waltz. Maybe the search facility could be given more prominence so that new(er) members could be prompted to use that as the first port of call for answers to any particular questions they may have? Some new members certainly use this facility and it's often interesting to see someone responding to a post that may have been made 10 years ago!

Lv.
I think the search facility should be much more prominently displayed in a large bar at the top of the page - with some encouraging text too. Occasionally I've been scanning for it to look up something and looking with sleepy eyes in frustration, just to remember 'oh year, it's that little grey magnifying glass icon'. I think it would also be best if some of the advance search options were available in the bar - currently you put a word search in and everything in the world comes up, so you have to go into the advanced settings page to put in specifics (like thread title only etc.)
Purp and leedsveg like this.
#108 Old 02-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Plant Powered

Since I'm still a relatively new member (almost a year though! LOL) I can maybe help weigh in on why new people join and then seemingly disappear... of course when it's all new and exciting, you have so much to say, lots of questions to ask, and there is lots to engage with, but once you have your most burning questions answered you may engage less and observe more. Sometimes it's a couple weeks between when I check in, and even then I might just browse the topics and not participate, if it's something I don't feel like i have anything unique to contribute. Perhaps there are more people on the boards than we realize, but they are just watching ^_^
#109 Old 02-26-2017, 07:55 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Hi DebrahM.

Lv.
On the other hand, if someone is new to the lifestyle, the help we give them and the act of communing with likeminded people is important for their growth and a search and reading of old posts isn't going to meet that need is it? When I was new to this, I needed to connect with vegans. Otherwise I could have just done a search, found some blog that maybe wasn't being attended to and just read that article and figure out my own answers maybe. This is a forum, forums are for chatting on and I think if I really care about the animals, its in their best interests for me to help the newbie out. Chat them up, give them some encouragement and moral support..... that's just my feeling.
#110 Old 02-27-2017, 02:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
On the other hand, if someone is new to the lifestyle, the help we give them and the act of communing with likeminded people is important for their growth and a search and reading of old posts isn't going to meet that need is it? When I was new to this, I needed to connect with vegans. Otherwise I could have just done a search, found some blog that maybe wasn't being attended to and just read that article and figure out my own answers maybe. This is a forum, forums are for chatting on and I think if I really care about the animals, its in their best interests for me to help the newbie out. Chat them up, give them some encouragement and moral support..... that's just my feeling.
I don't think that anybody is saying that all new members have the same needs and "one-size" should definitely "fit all".

All I'm suggesting is that the search facility could be highlighted/improved for those new members (and others, of course) who could benefit from using it.

Lv.

Last edited by leedsveg; 02-27-2017 at 08:06 AM.
#111 Old 03-15-2017, 08:16 AM
Beginner

Quote:
I don't think that anybody is saying that all new members have the same needs and "one-size" should definitely "fit all".

All I'm suggesting is that the search facility could be highlighted/improved for those new members (and others, of course) who could benefit from using it.

Lv.

Yes, the search thing could be highlighted and improved, but I remember when I first switched to vegan and was deep in the throes of anger, frustration and uncertainty about how to do the vegan thing in my life effectively, I never used 'search' because I wanted to commune with people, not read years old conversations. If I wanted to use a search to find out something, even then I was aware that going to likely 'experts' made more sense than getting opinions about things that some might actually be confused on. Like, 'get your B12 from mushrooms' kind of opinion.

I think as seasoned vegans/vegetarians, part of our ultra important mandate is to guide the newcomers and that includes fellowship through comments where we can answer their questions personally or guide them to experts (appropriate websites) who can. But I suppose that not everyone has the same opinion on this so if you are the sort who is inclined to take on a new interest and would prefer a search feature on a forum, than you and I are different and that's okay isn't it?

Last edited by 121938; 03-15-2017 at 08:20 AM.
#112 Old 03-15-2017, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Yes, the search thing could be highlighted and improved, but I remember when I first switched to vegan and was deep in the throes of anger, frustration and uncertainty about how to do the vegan thing in my life effectively, I never used 'search' because I wanted to commune with people, not read years old conversations. If I wanted to use a search to find out something, even then I was aware that going to likely 'experts' made more sense than getting opinions about things that some might actually be confused on. Like, 'get your B12 from mushrooms' kind of opinion.

I think as seasoned vegans/vegetarians, part of our ultra important mandate is to guide the newcomers and that includes fellowship through comments where we can answer their questions personally or guide them to experts (appropriate websites) who can. But I suppose that not everyone has the same opinion on this so if you are the sort who is inclined to take on a new interest and would prefer a search feature on a forum, than you and I are different and that's okay isn't it?
I agree with your comments DebrahM and as I indicated in my previous post, I'm sure that a "one size fit to fit all" approach is unrealistic to cater for the needs of every individual (new) member.

Lv
#113 Old 03-15-2017, 07:06 PM
person

A troll.
I think you have great forum. Sorry I can't stay.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#114 Old 03-16-2017, 09:16 PM
person

I have given it some thought (lots) and decided I like it here and can ignore one troll. So I will be staying. Learn when I can, help when I can.

Note to self: ignore trolls and don't get so angry (but maybe report them if it is necessary).

#115 Old 03-17-2017, 06:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMts View Post
I have given it some thought (lots) and decided I like it here and can ignore one troll. So I will be staying. Learn when I can, help when I can.

Note to self: ignore trolls and don't get so angry (but maybe report them if it is necessary).
Hi BluMts. Not sure if your troll references relate to me or another member? Whoever it is, one course of action is to put the member on the Ignore list. You can reach this by tapping onto Tools in the toolbar at the top of the page, then User CP, then Edit Ignore list which comes under Settings & Options down the left hand side of the page. Once done, you won't be able to see the member's posts directly, although they do become visible indirectly if another member chooses to quote those posts.

As an alternative and as you mention, you can always refer a trolling post to the moderators so that they can investigate and take appropriate action.

Leedsveg
#116 Old 03-17-2017, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Debra. This depends on the person, though. Some people are rather analytically minded and just want to find information and will only post a question having completed a search and not found the answer, while others are more emotionally minded and want more guidance and contact. In general, it's a good idea to lean towards the latter a little I think in answering people's questions. The problem comes when you get a question that could have been answered with a 2-minute google search but still at the end of the day we are hoping to reduce animal suffering in this world and the person may as likely be a genuine internet novice, on a very young person, or something, so better to give a certain amount of benefit of the doubt.
Spudulika likes this.
#117 Old 03-17-2017, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
I agree with Debra. This depends on the person, though.
It's very possible that we're all in agreement about the benefit of helping people who feel no need or desire to use the forum's search facility. All that I and others are (also) suggesting is that the search facility could be improved to help those members that do want to use it.

Lv

Last edited by leedsveg; 03-17-2017 at 02:03 PM.
#118 Old 03-18-2017, 10:12 PM
person

Quote:
Hi BluMts. Not sure if your troll references relate to me or another member? Whoever it is, one course of action is to put the member on the Ignore list. You can reach this by tapping onto Tools in the toolbar at the top of the page, then User CP, then Edit Ignore list which comes under Settings & Options down the left hand side of the page. Once done, you won't be able to see the member's posts directly, although they do become visible indirectly if another member chooses to quote those posts.

As an alternative and as you mention, you can always refer a trolling post to the moderators so that they can investigate and take appropriate action.

Leedsveg
Not You I did "ignore" them The only person on the list but I could still see them. Report it will be next time.

#119 Old 03-18-2017, 11:33 PM
Impeach the gangster

Going on a public forum is sort of like going out in public. Things aren't always perfectly the way we want it.
Mojo likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#120 Old 03-19-2017, 03:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMts View Post
A troll.
I think you have great forum. Sorry I can't stay.
I very rarely visit here anymore, and haven't contributed for a very long time, due to similar reasons. In fact there are a few people that were posting here for a long time that I frankly couldn't stand (one of them left finally, yeah!), so I left altogether for a while. I visit a few other vegan forums more regularly. I've put in a lot of time and effort to this forum over the years though, and so I still come back and visit here and there. It feels much less like a community than it once did though.
Poppy likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page