VB Star of the Week: ShadowKat! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 02-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Impeach the gangster

In our continuing series of member interviews, our latest volunteer is ShadowKat! Let's all welcome our new VB Celebrity! ShadowKat hails from Maine, and has been a part of the VB community for the past year. Now's our chance to learn all about her!

Here's how the interviews work:

-Please ask only a few questions at a time, so everyone has a chance to participate. (You can come back often to ask more questions!) Each interview runs for a week, typically from Monday to Monday.

-Anyone (and everyone) can be a VB Star. If you would like to be a VB Star, just send me or any of the moderators a PM, and we'll arrange to get you into the hot-seat! In the event no one comes forward, it will be up to our current Star to choose next week's victim, er, interviewee. If you're asked to be a Celebrity, but don't want to be one, you may take a pass; likewise, the current Star is free to pass on any questions they are not comfortable with answering.

-Please keep our posting rules in mind, and let's keep this PG-13 or better. And remember, if our current famous person expresses an opinion with which you disagree, please do not give an argument in return. This is an interview, not a debate!

NOTE- If you'd like to read about our previous Stars (they go back several years,) all of the interviews are archived in the Meet Outstanding Users forum, for your reading pleasure!

Our new Celebrity Star has volunteered some information!

Quote:
38x38px-ZC-3a0e1356_user-58587-avatar.jpeg

-Real first name?
Kate

-Age?
00100010b

-Sex/Gender Identity?
Transwoman (post op, finally!)

-Relationship status?
engaged to a cheerful woman who identifies as Pinky Pie when we watch My Little Pony. Otherwise she goes by the name Lori.

-Location (as specific as you are comfortable being)?
A small village on a small island off the coast of Maine, USA, Earth, Sol system, Soy Milkyway Galaxy

-Religious beliefs (or lack thereof)?
Atheist/evidence based views

-Political leanings?
Liberal

-Are you a vegetarian, vegan or raw foodist (or something else)?
Vegan

-What is the meaning behind your username?
Our feline overlord's name is Shadow, and he is a cat. Also Kat is the first three letters of my real name.

-Have you ever met anyone famous?
My god-mother was the lead singer for the 80's one-hit-wonder band Face to Face.

-Do you live with any companion animals?
Our feline overlord's name is Shadow, and he is a cat.

-Do you live with any companion humans?
Just Lori (aka Pinky Pie)

-Where is your favorite place that you have visited?
Anywhere full of nature and devoid of loud tourists, namely Acadia National Park.(walking distance from my back door! woots!)

-What do you enjoy most about being veg*n?
The feeling of peace. Also the awesome foods i make, especially when i discover something new.

-With whom would you most love to have dinner?
My other half, Lori

-Do you have any secret talents?
As a Level 5 vegan, I have many talents but i am not allowed to disclose such information without written permission from the Vegan Police of Northern New England LLC.

-What dish/recipe can you make that knocks people's socks off?
Vegan Mac'n'nooch. Skeddy with seitan/tvp balls.

-What's your favorite restaurant?
Eden, atleast until they shuttered their doors last fall. They were the only all vegan restaurant in Maine, and their seitan steak was to DIE for!

-What do you do to cheer yourself up when you're feeling blue?
Hiking helps clear my mind and put me at ease.

-What's your biggest cooking/baking disaster?
I have been working on making "pourable" vegan eggs. i am getting closer, but the first experiment ended up like egg flavoured pancakes that were mushy in the center...

Also, back when i was omni and 13, decided to top a microwavable pizza with thousand island dressing. never made that mistake again...

-What's the one food/product, that you'd love to "veg*nize"?
A proper egg, one that cooks up and can be dealt with like real eggs, minus the cruelty.

The interview begins!

Werewolf Girl likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey there ShadowKat! What kind of music do you like?
#3 Old 02-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanspud View Post

Hey there ShadowKat! What kind of music do you like?
Mostly, classic rock, classic metal and classical. I am a very class act, huh? wink3.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKat View Post

Mostly, classic rock, classic metal and classical. I am a very class act, huh? wink3.gif

Sounds like you got class, for sure. What is one of your favorite music videos?

Have you ever been in a band?
#5 Old 02-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
What's the one food/product, that you'd love to "veg*nize"?
A proper egg, one that cooks up and can be dealt with like real eggs, minus the cruelty.

Now there's a woman after my own heart!

Which My Little Pony do you identify with (if any)?

#6 Old 02-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Poo Pie Head

@beanspud, my favorite music video would be "Do the Evolution". Very powerful imagery, along with a very powerful song. And no, I have never been in a band. Although if I ever started one, the band name would be "You cow sucking pervert" and all of the album names would be a directive ending in a comma. Example album cover would be, "Think, You Cow Sucking Pervert!". Lots of album titles that would work with that band name smiley.gif

@QV I am 110% Twilight Sparkle. I am a nerd, I wrote code starting at age 9 (albeit on a Commodore 64 back then) and I am a huge data hoarder. I can imagine Twilight Sparkle, if human and born around my time, would be similar.
#7 Old 02-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Poo Pie Head

Added. I just did a google search, there's an album called "Go vegan! (you cow sucking pervert)" by a band named Pog... O.o
#8 Old 02-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

O.o I love my lil Pony too vinyl scratch !!!!

What is your favourite colour?
Favourite season?
What is a perfect weekend like for you?
When is your birthday?
#9 Old 02-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Poo Pie Head

Colour: deep deep blue, but I also like anything on that end of the spectrum. Also, black.
Season: spring and fall. I wish it just went spring, fall, spring, fall. No need for hot summers and cold snowy winters. smiley.gif
Perfect weekend: getting up and going on a 20 mile hike starting in the morning with picnic meals along the way, then sleeping most of the next day. (I live within walking distance of a national park, so this is a nice and easy activity to do when the weather is good)
Birthday: late June.
#10 Old 02-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Impeach the gangster

Have you ever been in the armed forces?

What is your ideal job?

Creamy peanut butter, or crunchy?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#11 Old 02-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

You already answered the question I was originally going to ask (i.e., did you take your online name from the X-Men character who can phase through solid objects?)

Good luck creating a good vegan egg substitute!

Do you have a favorite Led Zeppelin song?

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#12 Old 02-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Have you ever been in the armed forces?

What is your ideal job?

Creamy peanut butter, or crunchy?
No, I am a lover, not a fighter. (also not a fan of the way the US government has traditionally handled service folk. Kinda dismal considering the sacrifice)
Ideal job: odd that you ask that. I ran in to an omni who asked me (as part of a larger convo) what I would do if I were rich and I said "found my own animal sanctuary". He was elated as he loves animals. He also doesn't know I am vegan as it hasn't come up, but yes, that would be both my own and lori's dream job.
PB:I am too smooth to bother with anything but.
Werewolf Girl and Jennifer C like this.
#13 Old 02-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Poo Pie Head

@Tom, "All of my love" but I must admit I had to google zep songs to make sure. Odd that I have stairway to heaven on my 200 list, but not all of my love... (odd in that isnt as good a piece and also that I am an atheist... Meh, most zep is good anyways). Regardless Pink Floyd for the win, over zep or any others.
#14 Old 02-18-2014, 11:05 PM

What's your current progress on the egg substitute, and what are you having trouble with?

Are you just looking for Omelette kind of egg, or like a holy grain all purpose vegan egg?

#15 Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiculationco View Post

What's your current progress on the egg substitute, and what are you having trouble with?

Are you just looking for Omelette kind of egg, or like a holy grain all purpose vegan egg?
I've been doing the two steps forward, two steps back on it. I consider it a personal challenge, and it's kinda fun to try to figure out what plant ingredients might react similar to egg when heated. The basic goal is to have a liquid (like whipped egg) and could be used for a scrambled egg or omelette. My inspiration for wanting to do this was to make a patty of the "egg" stuff that McD's have in their big breakfast.
The taste is of course not the hard part to get close, I make tofu scramble nice or twice a week. My angle is to try to find a vegan protein that denatures under medium heat, become congealed, and is anhydrous when it denatures. Feel free to offer any tips if any come to mind. I am still convinced that using some level of wheat gluten in it is a step in the right direction, but not as the only plant protein (it doesn't do the anhydrous thing on its own...)
#16 Old 02-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

What animal would you like to be, other than human?

What is your favorite sport, either spectator or participatory?
#17 Old 02-19-2014, 02:07 PM
Zelda Freak

I always miss something that someone else asks, so I'll ask three just in case one has been asked...

3 most favorite books?

Mulder or Scully?

Would you rather have to live underwater for a year - but with lots of other people OR on a desert island for a year with just one other person? 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#18 Old 02-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:

What animal would you like to be, other than human?

What is your favorite sport, either spectator or participatory?
Either a squirrel or a cat. Squirrel for how free they are, and cat for how lazy they are.
I don't do sport, but I have heard of it. Is sport like hiking? wink3.gif Both Lori and I like to bowl (candle pin, of course) and have actually just gotten a wii just to play the bowling game on it.
#19 Old 02-19-2014, 04:01 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

I always miss something that someone else asks, so I'll ask three just in case one has been asked...

3 most favorite books?
Mulder or Scully?
Would you rather have to live underwater for a year - but with lots of other people OR on a desert island for a year with just one other person? 
Books: Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (series), Foundation (series) and 1984
M/S: Link (only fictional male I have had a crush on, other than maybe Legolas)
...and a deserted island with just one other person. Coincidentally enough, we live on mount desert island, and Lori and I spend most of our time together, so at is kinda like cheating.
#20 Old 02-19-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKat View Post

My angle is to try to find a vegan protein that denatures under medium heat, become congealed, and is anhydrous when it denatures. Feel free to offer any tips if any come to mind. I am still convinced that using some level of wheat gluten in it is a step in the right direction, but not as the only plant protein (it doesn't do the anhydrous thing on its own...)

Why use protein for the thickening?  I know that's what eggs do, but seems like a long shot.

As you said, wheat gluten is the only one I know that comes close.

Have you considered using methyl cellulose?  That will make it solidify when it gets hot (the methyl cellulose becomes insoluble in hot water, and forms a solid gel, at 40-50°C).

Of course, if you let your eggs cool down, it will melt.

But then that's what something like Agar-agar is for (which would set while it was cooling,  somewhere between 40-32°C).

They just *barely* overlap though.  Your eggs might become runny for a little bit before they firmed up again.

A lot of soy protein in it might be forced to precipitate when the methyl cellulose dissolves?  That could form a tofu until the agar sets to strengthen it more. 

#21 Old 02-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Poo Pie Head

The protein wouldn't just be for the properties, but also for umami. The methyl cellulose idea might work, maybe with some agar and wheat gluten all together, thus helping to prevent a "runny" situation. Thanks for the tips! I will keep toying with this.
#22 Old 02-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

What is the most embarrassing thing you have done that you're willing to share on the internet? wink3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#23 Old 02-20-2014, 05:09 PM
Impeach the gangster

Have you ever saved the day for anyone?

Do you have a fireplace?

#24 Old 02-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

What is the most embarrassing thing you have done that you're willing to share on the internet? wink3.gif
When I was 22 I was walking home after feeling a little "bottom ill" from work. About 200 feet from home I felt the serious urge to evacuate, but figured I could make it. I made it all the way to the bathroom and had my pants down about 1/3of the way before it just let loose. Brown pudding in the pants... A lot of it. Here's the thing, that isn't the embarrassing part. Here I was, big puddle of chocolate puddling precariously balanced in place in my pants, with no easy way to dispose of it, or to get new clothing. Needless to say, I had to VERY carefully remove the half off pants from my body, clean up as well as I could. Then find a way to keep the mess secure until I could get dressed and dispose of it without grossing out the roommates.
Or is this too much information? Seriously though, not the best night after work in my life. sad.gif
#25 Old 02-20-2014, 08:41 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Have you ever saved the day for anyone?

Do you have a fireplace?
To the best of my knowledge, I do not pay people to harm other beings as much as is possible or practical, so I guess I have saved a few days for a few out there, but that is preaching to the choir... Hmm... Yeah, i have been told I have done so, but in small ways (giving rides to someone when their car was busted, or lending a 20). Scale and scope are relative, tho. That ride or 20 bucks could have been a huge help, versus one big thing.
I wish I owned property, let alone a fireplace! We rent. Sucks, but that is the reality here. Lori and I prefer fire heat to propane, any day! One of my long term plans is to buy a plot of forested land, build a self sufficient hobbit hole, grow much of our food, and heat with firewood (and pay property tax with it as well)
#26 Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
~~Have you ever met anyone famous? My god-mother was the lead singer for the 80's one-hit-wonder band Face to Face.

Wait a minute, this Face-To-Face?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvQ5pdR9us0

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#27 Old 02-20-2014, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

If you had to live in another country besides the US, where would you like to live?
#28 Old 02-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Wait a minute, this Face-To-Face?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvQ5pdR9us0
Yup! Even went to a studio to watch them record some songs in NYC when I was a little kid. My mother and Laurie were best friends in high school. She moved out to Montana and live on a farm, so I haven't seen her in about ten years.
#29 Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:

If you had to live in another country besides the US, where would you like to live?
If it were possible, I would book it out of this country and move to the UK. Too bad my options are too limited, especially financially.
#30 Old 02-23-2014, 12:36 AM
Impeach the gangster

Can you describe the terrain near your place, where you go hiking?

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page