VB Star of the Week: ElaineV! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Impeach the gangster

All hail our new Star celebrity, ElaineV, the newest addition to our Hall of Fame! Yaaaaaaay! Elaine has graced our pages for over three-years, so it's great to finally get her into the hot-seat!

Her interview will last through Oct. 14th.

Here's how we do it-

-Please ask only a few questions at a time, so everyone has a chance to participate. (You can come back often to ask more questions!)

-Anyone can be a VB Star. If you would like to be a VB Star, just send me a PM, and we'll arrange to get you into the hot-seat! In the event no one comes forward, it will be up to our current Star to choose next week's victim, er, interviewee. If you're asked to be a Star, but don't want to be one, you may take a pass; likewise, the current Star is free to pass on any questions they are not comfortable with answering.

-Please keep our posting rules in mind, and let's keep this PG-13 or better. And remember, if our current famous person expresses an opinion with which you disagree, please do not give an argument in return. This is an interview, not a debate!

NOTE- If you'd like to read about our previous Stars (they go back several years,) all of their interviews are archived in the Meet Outstanding Users forum!

Here's some information about our new Famous Person-

Quote:

-Real first name?

Elaine

-Age?

37 or as I sometimes prefer to say, twenty-seventeen

-Sex/Gender Identity?

Female/ Woman

-Relationship status?

Married - 8th anniversary is this month

-Location (as specific as you are comfortable being)?

Las Vegas, Nevada (there's another Las Vegas in the USA, did you know? It's Las Vegas, New Mexico and here is the city's website: http://www.lasvegasnm.gov/ )

-Religious beliefs (or lack thereof)?

none/nontheist/atheist

I should say, however, that I value churches/synagogues and I do not think religion is evil. I think religious belief and religious organization can be described/thought of as instinctual behavior for most humans. I was a Philosophy major in college (don't ask me about Philosophy, though, because I don't remember anything from college) and so I'm intrigued by various human thought and behavior patterns/styles. I should have studied marketing or sociology, however.

-Political leanings?

liberal/progressive, but some of my best friends are conservative ;)

I tend to be registered as either a Democrat or Green Party 

-Are you a vegetarian, vegan or raw foodist (or something else)?

vegan

-What is the meaning behind your username?

what do you think?

-Have you ever met anyone famous?

In some circles, my husband is famous. He's a well-known poker author. His name is Ed Miller. 

He was on Queer Eye so we met those guys.
My grandfather was also a well-known architect. His name was John Lautner.
I've met some AR leaders like Nathan Runkle, Nick Cooney, Matt Ball, and others. 

I've met other celebrities here and there, like Penn from Penn and Teller, etc. I might run into Mike Tyson one of these days since my sister met him at the gym last week!

-Do you live with any companion animals?

Yes. Currently we share our home with 3 cats and 3 dogs. 

Cats: Bacall, Bogart, Otis.

Dogs: Bella, Floyd, Percy

All were rescues of one sort or another. Bacall and Floyd came directly from a local kill shelter. Bogart was a hand-me-down sort of cat, rehomed from an outdoor situation. Otis literally chose to live with us. He just showed up one day and would not leave. Our intent was to neuter him and leave him be as a free/feral cat but he didn't like that. Bella was abandoned on a construction site, we found her spayed her and fell in love (intent was just to foster). Percy is brand-new to our family. He was running loose a couple weeks ago and we tracked down his home where the person there gave him to me because he didn't want him anymore. Intent was to foster and rehome but we fell in love again. We've only fostered once successfully.

-Do you live with any companion humans?

yes, my husband and my son. We think this is a good ratio of 1 cat; 1 dog; 1 human.

We're considering adopting another human. My son is 3 and we said we would start the 2nd adoption process when he turns 4. But we're reconsidering and might wait longer.

-Where is your favorite place that you have visited?

Right now I'm really liking the San Diego County & Orange County beaches.

-What do you enjoy most about being veg*n?

Knowing that my food and lifestyle choices don't needlessly harm animals. 

-With whom would you most love to have dinner?

Alone or just with my family - honestly I don't really enjoy eating meals with people while trying to talk/get to know someone. I've never mastered the whole talk and dine without talking with food in your mouth thing.

-Do you have any secret talents?

Probably. But then they wouldn't be secret, would they?

-What dish/recipe can you make that knocks people's socks off?

I can make some pretty tasty enchiladas. They're not "traditional" but so far everyone who has tasted them likes them.

-What's your favorite restaurant?

Millenium in San Francisco. Only eaten there once but it was the best meal of my life. I had dinner there with my mom, who is also vegan.

-What do you do to cheer yourself up when you're feeling blue?

The best thing is exercise. Right now I love Zumba. I also enjoy hiking, walks, jogs, swimming, and other fitness classes.

-What's your biggest cooking/baking disaster?

I made vegan cupcakes for my nephew's birthday one year and I totally forgot to add the sugar. I have no idea why I forgot it but I did. They tasted terrible.

-What's the one food/product, that you'd love to "veg*nize"?

There's nothing nonvegetarian that stands out as something that I "miss" because I went vegetarian when I was six years old so there are a lot of nonvegetarian foods I've never tried. For example, I have no memory of eating beef jerky or salmon or caviar. Whenever there are new vegan options of things like that I love to eat them just to see if I will like it. So far there's a lot that I like. So I guess I would just like to see more of these types of things. 

When it comes to vegan things there are a few things I'd like to see better versions of. For example, I'd like to see a product that's really eggy and really easy for people to use where they currently use eggs. I was never a huge egg fan (in fact I always thought they were kind of gross) but I did like the occasional omelet or scramble and although there are some good ways to do that vegan I don't feel like we've found the best way yet. I'd also like to see more vegan milk chocolate readily available at mainstream grocery stores ;)

Time to interview Elaine!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi, Elaine! Your posts here are awesome and I like reading about the work you're dedicated to in Las Vegas.

1. Keeping Las Vegas in mind: Blackjack, baccarat, or roulette? (I was going to put poker, but considering that your husband writes about it..)

2.  What would you say have been three of the greatest memories or moments in your life?

3. If you had the opportunity to terraform a barren planet, what kinds of new fruits and vegetables would you specifically develop for it?

Aristede:book: 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#3 Old 10-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Given your anniversary is this month, what quality does your husband have that do you admire most?

What's the last thing your best friend did that made you laugh out loud?

Favorite quote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-07-2013, 07:57 PM

Hey Elaine! I actually really look forward to this one. I respect you a lot for your willingness to get involved in stupidly long debates that drag on and on and on just to defend your principles, and how you continue to present your ideas clearly without letting your frustration get in the way.

How confident are you in dealing with difficult omnivores? What was the one situation you handled the worst, and the one situation you handled the best?

I remember you saying that you're the head of a small nonprofit group. Are you happy with what this group has achieved so far?

Thanks!
Tom likes this.

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#5 Old 10-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Impeach the gangster

That's really fascinating about your grandfather. I grew up in the Googie style, and I always loved it. Did you know your grandpa? Did you ever live in a house he designed?

What is the secret to making a great enchilada?

Tom likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#6 Old 10-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

Hi, Elaine! Your posts here are awesome and I like reading about the work you're dedicated to in Las Vegas.

1. Keeping Las Vegas in mind: Blackjack, baccarat, or roulette? (I was going to put poker, but considering that your husband writes about it..)

2.  What would you say have been three of the greatest memories or moments in your life?

3. If you had the opportunity to terraform a barren planet, what kinds of new fruits and vegetables would you specifically develop for it?

1. I actually don't like to gamble much. But of those three I'll choose blackjack.
2. Holding my son for the first time. I didn't know if we would be able to adopt him or not but there was something very special about that moment.
A camping trip with my husband in 2004. We told each other "I love you" for the first time. Both of us just sort of blurted it out.
One day in New York I spent alone on a layover. It was my first time to New York city and I was so excited.
3. Hmm not sure. Probably some really nutritious tasty things that could easiliy be grown and harvested without harm to animals or the environment.
#7 Old 10-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchen View Post

Given your anniversary is this month, what quality does your husband have that do you admire most?

What's the last thing your best friend did that made you laugh out loud?

Favorite quote?

His intelligence. Runner up is his sense of humor.

I'm sorry, I can't remember. But I did actually laugh out loud at some really silly pictures on facebook this morning. 

"The best way to predict the future is to create it."

#8 Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingchen View Post

Hey Elaine! I actually really look forward to this one. I respect you a lot for your willingness to get involved in stupidly long debates that drag on and on and on just to defend your principles, and how you continue to present your ideas clearly without letting your frustration get in the way.

How confident are you in dealing with difficult omnivores? What was the one situation you handled the worst, and the one situation you handled the best?

I remember you saying that you're the head of a small nonprofit group. Are you happy with what this group has achieved so far?

Thanks!

I am not super confident with dealing with difficult omnis. I feel like the ones who are mean or who spew all the excuses in the book are best dealt with by ignoring them. But sometimes I find that difficult. I usually try to listen and ask questions so I can see if there's some agreement, a place to start.

I have some standard responses:

- If they say anything rude or mean either I ignore it or I say "You don't have to be mean about it." 

- If they flip me off (very rarely happens when leafleting but happens sometimes at protests) then I respond with a peace sign (two fingers) and a "kill them with kindness" smile, pretending I thought they were being nice.

- If they say, "But I eat meat. I'm not a vegetarian." I say, "Good, this is for you" and smile and hand them a leaflet.

The worst: I honestly can't remember. I'm sure I've said really rude things. I try not to worry too much about mistakes and just move forward trying to improve.

Best: I think the best moment so far has been this time when someone I'd talked to once who was pretty resistant to change came up to me about 2 years later and said that they'd really thought about what I said and had changed their diet as a result.

Yes, the group I run is Vegas Veg, online at http://www.vegasveg.org/

We've done a lot so far and some of our accomplishments are listed here: http://www.vegasveg.org/about.html

I think the thing I'm most proud of are the newsracks. They are a pain sometimes but they're good advocacy.

yingchen likes this.
#9 Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

That's really fascinating about your grandfather. I grew up in the Googie style, and I always loved it. Did you know your grandpa? Did you ever live in a house he designed?

What is the secret to making a great enchilada?

Yes I knew him. He always gave very interesting, arty gifts. Nope, never lived in a house he designed. I grew up in a mobile home. He, in fact, never lived in a house he designed either. He lived in a small apartment in Hollywood. But he had a vacation home in the woods that I visited often. It was experimental and low-cost, not like the things he designed. It was two half domes, looked like a giant bra. After his death the house was demolished because it required repairs too expensive for the family. And the lot is now currently for sale.

I think the secret is to use soft, warm tortillas so they don't break when you roll them. And to use salsa instead of enchilada sauce.

Tom likes this.
#10 Old 10-08-2013, 01:15 PM

How come you turned veg*n when you were so young?

What's your favourite holiday season?

“People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” 

#11 Old 10-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFee View Post

How come you turned veg*n when you were so young?

What's your favourite holiday season?
I'm not entirely sure because I can't remember but the story is that I just announced that I wasn't going to eat animals anymore. I think I had a teacher who was vegetarian.

I like Christmas. I like the smell of pine trees everywhere.
veggiefee likes this.
#12 Old 10-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Give peas a chance

Your grandpa was the man. He and Eichler are my favorite architects. I loved how they would blur the lines between indoor/outdoor living. It's disappointing there isn't more housing that aspires to that in the LA area. Too many monster houses stuffed with too many tiny rooms, surrounded by concrete walls. Blech.

So my question is.... do you ever see a googie-style coffee shop and I think "It's googie! We should eat there!" And then a second later think "Ugh. They're probably not going to have anything vegan"? 

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#13 Old 10-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

Your grandpa was the man. He and Eichler are my favorite architects. I loved how they would blur the lines between indoor/outdoor living. It's disappointing there isn't more housing that aspires to that in the LA area. Too many monster houses stuffed with too many tiny rooms, surrounded by concrete walls. Blech.

So my question is.... do you ever see a googie-style coffee shop and I think "It's googie! We should eat there!" And then a second later think "Ugh. They're probably not going to have anything vegan"? 

I'm sorry but no, never do I think that.

You know he has a quote about LA. He said that he would have liked to build giant concrete balls and roll them down the hills to destroy all the ugly stuff in LA. So I'm pretty sure he'd agree with you about ugly homes in LA and elsewhere. Since you're a fan, if you aren't already a member, you may want to join the foundation: http://www.johnlautner.org/wp/?page_id=5

#14 Old 10-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Elaine

I've just posted a cheque to you for $10m. What will you do with it?

What will you be doing in 30 years time (you hope).

Would you go into space if you could?

#15 Old 10-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

Hi Elaine

I've just posted a cheque to you for $10m. What will you do with it?

What will you be doing in 30 years time (you hope).

Would you go into space if you could?

Great questions!

The money - Wow, thanks for the money :D

The first thing I would do is sit down with an accountant and a lawyer to try to come up a with a plan so this windfall can do the most good. Of course I'd want some for myself and my family, about 2 million*. That would be to fund my son's college, my nephew's college, and retirement. The rest, after taxes of course, would go into charity. I'd probably pick 5 organizations and give each 1 million, with a stipulation for some that they have to do something in Las Vegas. Some organizations that would make my short list are:

Vegan Outreach,

Mercy For Animals,

Farm Sanctuary,

Humane Research Council,

VegFund, 

Nevada SPCA, 

Best Friends,

and maybe some human charities too, particularly ones working on human rights and children's rights.

If there was any leftover, I'd have to crunch the numbers and talk to lots of people about it to see what would work best, but here are some things I sometimes daydream about:

- a farmed animal sanctuary with vegan education in or near the Vegas valley (I feel like there should be a farmed animal sanctuary near every major city)

- opening Veggie Grill locations in Las Vegas and Henderson (I'd like to see Veggie Grill all over the nation but there's not enough money for that)

- converting a downtown house into a no-kill cat shelter and calling it The Cat House (and doing lots of brothel-style publicity things)

- creating and printing our own vegan education literature (featuring individual animal's stories and incorporating a local list of vegan-friendly restaurants)

*the husband wants 5 million to go to our family so he can stop having to produce an income.

In 30 years I think I will doing a lot of the same things I'm doing now but I'll have more free time what with the kiddo grown and out of the house. I would like to be in a situation that I could live in an RV without animal companions and just travel a lot but I don't think that's realistic. Animals find me, I can't help it. I have tried to not have cats or dogs around but I just can't do it. Another option for 30 years from now: Whenever I talk about fostering teenagers my husband says we might do that in 20-30 years. But again I think it's unrealistic. I don't think he will go for it. Maybe I'll finally write a book. Eh, I don't know. I think I'll just be going to aqua-arobics and tea parties or whatever... doing senior citizen things. I guess the short answer is that I don't really have a 30-year-plan. 

After my son is grown I would go into space, sure. I wouldn't want to leave him when he still needs me so I wouldn't do it right now. But later, if it served some purpose other than my curiosity then yes I would go.

#16 Old 10-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Elaine

I hope the $10m reaches you ok but just in case, best if nobody gives up their job just yet.:D

I know you said you're not religious but do you believe in karma (even just a teeny bit)?

Can you think of a job that your son could get in the future that would give you particular pride and pleasure?

Your house is on fire, everybody including companion animals are all safe and as you're running through the doorway, you have the chance to grab one treasured item. What would that item be?

Leedsveg :up:

#17 Old 10-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

1. What are some things that you would like to accomplish in the next five years? 

2. What are your family's favorite activities? 

3. What do you think are the most pressing issues currently facing veg*ns today?

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#18 Old 10-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

Hi Elaine

I hope the $10m reaches you ok but just in case, best if nobody gives up their job just yet.:D

I know you said you're not religious but do you believe in karma (even just a teeny bit)?

Can you think of a job that your son could get in the future that would give you particular pride and pleasure?

Your house is on fire, everybody including companion animals are all safe and as you're running through the doorway, you have the chance to grab one treasured item. What would that item be?

Leedsveg :up:

No, I don't believe in karma. 

I can think of many jobs my son could have that would make me proud. Basically anything where he is happy, has some financial security, and isn't too stressful. That list of jobs is long. The list of jobs I would not want him to have is a shorter list: pro football player (American football), anything on Wall Street, slaughterhouse worker...

I think I would probably try to save some keepsakes, like a ceramic handprint we made when my son was a baby. I'd be tempted to grab photos but that would be a waste of time because most are digital and could be reprinted.

Tom likes this.
#19 Old 10-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

1. What are some things that you would like to accomplish in the next five years? 

2. What are your family's favorite activities? 

3. What do you think are the most pressing issues currently facing veg*ns today?

1. I'd like to lose 10 pounds. I'd like to adopt another child. I'd like to get our home more organized, repainted, and put up more artwork on our walls. I'd like to see Vegas Veg paid memberships double. I'd like to increase our outreach efforts, specifically: get more volunteers out there doing leafleting and start doing vegan presentations for college and high school students.

2. We love Legoland and southern California. We all enjoy the occasional hike. We like a day at the beach or park. 

3. I think there's a ton of negative social pressure on vegetarians and vegans. It needs to go away. It needs to be totally acceptable to be veg for everyone. No one should have to experience criticism for choosing a diet/lifestyle that is good for them, good for the planet, and good for animals. 

Tom and Aristede like this.
#20 Old 10-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Impeach the gangster

Thank you so much, ElaineV, for an illuminating interview, and to all who joined in.

PLEASE NOTE- The VB Star of the Week interviews are going on vacation for a while, but will return in time for the new year! In the meantime, keep watching for some special Holiday events coming up!

-Capstan

River likes this.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page